experience as a hook

There are a number of ways that people of all walks of life get recruited into cults. Share your experience here.
joe sz

experience as a hook

Unread post by joe sz »

One of the most common hooks that get people into cults is personal experience.
"My experience tells me that it is true."
"You can't criticize my group util you've expereinced it for yourself."
"In order to understand it you have to experience it."

You have all heard those sorts of claims and probably used the same arguments.

I was reviewing some information on a pseudo-therapy book called "The Courage to Heal" by Bass and Davis [1988]. It has sold millions in several editions and has caused havoc in many thousands of people's lives including that of many of my clients.

This review has some good points:
http://www.ipt-forensics.com/journal/vo ... _4_br1.htm

Here is something from the review to contemplate if you were in RSE and still believe that "experience" is akin to the truth:

"This book is an exercise in irrationality. The authors carefully state they are not academically trained. They are honest in saying that everything in the book comes "from the experiences of survivors" (p.14). Experience is not a trustworthy guide to anything (Dawes, 1989). The entire field of decision theory research shows conclusively that the human mind is not a good instrument for handling data. There are so many ways in which subjective bias distorts and twists information. Because decisions are flawed and basically irrational it is only through the assiduous exercise of human reason that positive outcomes can be produced.

Dawes, R. M. (1989). Experience and validity of Clinical judgment: The illusory correlation. Behavioral Sciences & the Law, 7(4), 457-467.
Lost in Space

Unread post by Lost in Space »

"There are so many ways in which subjective bias distorts and twists information. Because decisions are flawed and basically irrational it is only through the assiduous exercise of human reason that positive outcomes can be produced."

I see....I create my own reality, lol...and I'm not genetically designed to be good at it.
I wonder though - experience may hook people in...but I doubt that would keep people there, Unless the "experience" actually stood repeated tests, actually was somehow valid...and it also appears to be a reason people who leave, leave.
So, why do people stay?
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

Good question, Lost. I have no answer that will satisfy this complex issue.
I just went over this in Texas with a client.

One way I look at it is through the identification process. A mysterious or powerful "experience" can shake our identification with our environment and psychological orientation. I'm talking mainly about spiritual or psychic experience. Most new cults rely on a new recruit having some kind of conversion experience that convinces them internally that the path is true. However, these experiences can be engineered by the group or cult workshops or services. Born-again, charismatic churches are a case in point. New Age transformational workshops are another--est, psiworld, etc. 2000 yrs ago Saul got knocked off his horse by a flash of light, heard the voice of "the Lord" and converted to a life as St Paul.

Such experiences are inexplicable, neither good not bad in and of themselves, but the context and subsequent behaviors can be good or bad. Once conversion or identification takes place, it is like a soul contract with the group/teacher/leader/god that most represents the context of the experience. That inner contract is really hard to break once it is made. This is who I AM now.

To admit that the context is wrong or harmful questions one's very identity. It causes cognitive dissonance or painful psychological anxiety. No one likes that feeling. Studies show however, that when someone's belief system or a belief is challenged the tendency for almost all humans is to revert back into a defensive mode to retain the belief system rather than explore the risky path of possibly disconfirming the belief system.

On the other hand, to exit a cult and make an identity change can also be a freeing experience but it will only happen with a thoughtful, reasonable approach and with struggle and effort. Neuropathways do not change easily once the ruts have been established through conversion and ingrained through indoctrination and ritual. As an exit counselor my job is to encourage that effort, give reasons why the effort has value, and assure the client that the change is not only safe but perhaps better than their "cult experience."
sara

Unread post by sara »

Joe - thank you for all your posts on this board. Good review of "The Courage to Heal", which I read a long time ago! Yes, that's why feelings and emotions need to be balanced with the ability to think about them - and to feel them without doing anything with them. And that's why the checks and balances of other people and their viewpoints are needed!
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

reality ? what is reality ? subjectivity of reality ?

oh, yes.

years ago, when i was studying medicine, and did a rotation on a psyche unit in the hospital, an elderly patient (male) walked over to me as he was heading to the bathroom. he very, very carefully and tenderly extended his two cupped hands toward me. he looked me directly in the eye and asked me to hold his eggs for him until he got back.

i was prepared...and i was UNprepared for the REALITY of that experience. his hands were empty, as i extended my cupped hands to receive his request.

whew. i will never forget that experience.

for every brain on this planet, is a "reality". including psychosis.

Return to “How Did You Get Hooked Into RSE ?”