Lemaitre, Einstein, and the Birth of Cosmology [& "

This is a thread to debate the pseudoscience that RSE promotes, versus the science of our current day.
joe sz

Lemaitre, Einstein, and the Birth of Cosmology [& "

Unread post by joe sz »

I am reviewing a well-written biography written by John Farrell, 2005.
The Day Without Yesterday: Lemaitre, Einstein, and the Birth of Cosmology
is the story of a Belgian Catholic priest, Georges Lemaitre (1894-1966) whose cosmological theory based on brilliant mathematical calculations changed Einstein's mind in 1927 about a 'static universe' to one that is expanding. Lemaitre is considered the father of the "big bang" theory since upheld by modern astrophysics.

What is significant for recovering x-RSE folk and others that left pseudo-science cults is the clear distinction that Lemaitre and other scientist-priests made between science and theology. The she-god Ramtha, more properly called "Martha" in my view, has naively violated this distinction from the beginning in lectures with all kinds of bizzare science claims from a populated hollow earth to quantum physics somehow melding with mental magic.

When Lemaitre attended prep school, his astute Jesuit math teacher, Father P. Ernest Verreux, warned his young protege not to misidentify theology with science:

"After the young Lemaitre expressed himself excitedly on a particular passage from the Book of Genesis that to his imagination seemed to suggest a forshadowing of developments in science, the older priest suggested Lemaitre curb his enthusiasm. He shrugged at his pupil's naive excitement. "If there is a connection, "Verreux told his pupil, " it's a coincidence, and of no importance. And if you should prove to me that it exists, I would consider it unfortunate. It will merely encourage more thoughtless people to imagine that the Bible teaches infallible science, whereas the most we can say is that occasionally one of the prophets made a correct scientific guess." (24-25)
Lemaitre and the Church have wisely since steered away from identifying the "big bang" theory with God created the universe out of nothing as told in Genesis.

JZ/"Martha" lacks that wisdom.
tree

Unread post by tree »

I guess my high school science teacher was not as astute.
Nor was I on the road to astrophysics.

Thanks Joe. VERY helpful.

Return to “Pseudoscience & RSE”