dr wayne dyer etal

Wonderful on the outside Treacherous on the inside....! Cults have millions of members around the world who also thought they were immune.
joe sz

dr wayne dyer etal

Unread post by joe sz »

I watched a portion of public TV this morning that featured 'Dr' Wayne Dyer, a popular spiritual leader. Dyer often appears in concert with folk like Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, Jean Houston, Brian Weiss [of reincarnation fame] actor Jim Carey, Oprah Winfrey, TM product Deepak Chopra, and so on.
Dyer continues to push/offer his idea of "Source" and the "I AM God" thingee so deliciously seductive to average seekers and anxious folk in need of healing. Lately Dyer promotes self-stories about his miraculous encounter and a "healing" from leukemia with John of God [a star Brazilian healer-channeler]. Dyer just turned 72.

One of the keys to Dyer's personal philosdophy is A Course in Miracles.

here are some of Dyer's latest offerings for sale:
http://www.hayhouse.com/details.php?id=6030
http://www.drwaynedyer.com/products
note his new book for kids: "I Am"
I AM teaches kids a simple but profound message: God is not far off in the distance, or even merely beside us. In other words, we are not separate from God-we are God!

I wonder if anyone has felt that spiritual seduction of "truth" that Dyer offers?
I know that millions of people around the world have. What do you think about him?

and why do his ilk avoid appearing w JZ Knight who spouts very same raft of "truths"?
Ockham

Re: dr wayne dyer etal

Unread post by Ockham »

Our local public television station runs tapes of Dr. Wayne Dyer for their fund raising efforts. I've tried watching Dyer, but it is difficult to stay interested in it for much more than an hour. It all seems rather formulaic New Age. Dyer's general message sounds very similar to Tolle, Chopra and even JZ Knight.

I think it may be more JZ Knight that will not appear with the others rather than the others refusing to appear with JZ Knight. I think it is Knights egoism that gets in the way. Also if Knight appeared in the midst of other teachers spouting the same stuff, it might tip off ramsters that maybe, “Ramtha's,” message is not so unique after all. Imagine that!
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

Thanks Ockham.

there is a casual interview with Dyer and Oprah on OWN.
http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-sun ... rt-1-Video

Dyer is at his plush home in Hawaii. he describes his remote healing experience with "John of God" who treated Dyer from bazil by phone thousands of miles away. Dyer and Oprah admit that it sounds like "woo-woo" stuff [but then again ALL new Agers say that and ALL say "I was skeptical" or "I am a skeptical person"]. Dyer, of course can't really say he doubted [Dyer's a dyed-in-the-wool New Thought devotee and NT does not allow "negative" thoughts.]

Anyway, the psychic surgery for leukemia amounted to a remote digging into Dyer's right eyesocket, a common, general treatement by John of God and his assistants. Dyer was told explicitly that a surgery took place and that "sutures" would be removed by entities in a day or so, and that after the phone connection, he was to go lay down for "24 hours" after taking some magical herbs?, etc. Dyer says that he felt okay after the surgery, felt like taking a walk, so he "disobeyed" John of God. Dyer nearly collapsed minutes into his walk and dragged himself home, then layed down for the required 24 hrs. When he woke he felt incredibly alive and loving. going around hugging family [he has 8 kids]. His daughter asked about the strange red marks on his right eye!

he then went to homeless people around town, giving them $50 and $100 all day long--he gave out thousands of dollars, he says. he was just "filled" with "love."
No mention of healing from leukemia or that some other conventional treatement was used for that as well.
What went on here?

Anyone who has studied suggestion under hypnosis can see what happened. Dyer is by definition a highly suggestible man--he admits to Oprah that he is very "open" to all possibilities. Folks under suggestion can produce marks of stigmata and bleed, or produce rope marks on their arms if the hypnotist suggests that their arms are tied tightly by a large rope. Dyer collapsing during his walk is classic post-hypnotic reaction to a "command" by the authority figure he trusts. He then interpreted the euphoria [endorphins] after such an ecstatic experience as "love" [a huge mistake made by many cult recruits early in their entry to a cult---WOW, I feel so full of love :roll: ].

Recall also that all New Thought sects and teachings are based in the suggestion therapy discovered by Phineas P Quimby [after Mesmer] [Quimby called it "Christian science"] in the 19th century. Dyer's entire message is based on self-suggestion or auto-hypnosis, and we can easily fool ourselves under the suggestible state despite the good feelings and "healing" that sometimes occurs.

Dyer has also taken to promoting the "I AM" invocations used by the old I AM cult and other New Thought groups earlier in the 20th century.
Kensho

Unread post by Kensho »

Dyer seems to be another prophet of The Power of Intention/Law of Attraction/The Secret etc. Yet, like many others who gain wealth from promoting this sort of theory, when he "attracted" leukemia, he headed for external methods of treatment. Dyer also claims that manifesting is all about allowing what ever comes, in a state of peace and love; but so far it doesn't seem that he's following his own preaching.
The open minded thing always throws up red flags for me ever since getting into the Ramtha thing. Dyer claims to have an open mind and I believe that is so; as the breeze can be felt blowing through it from all corners of the globe.

I agree with you Joe. It seems that the power of self hypnosis/suggestion may have effects on the body, but it doesn't work for the majority of those who engage in it. For example, I had a patient a few years ago diagnosed with ALS who believed that he would alter the progression of the disease through addressing the Universe through love. He seemed to be more peaceful once he adopted that line of thinking but ultimately he died of the disease anyway.
I think that the individuals who can consciously alter the body's state purely through alteration of thought, and I do know of a couple of Buddhists who can do this (sometimes), are the exception rather than the rule. People like Dyer, Judith Knight and so on, just capitalize on the successes of those few; rather than actually accomplishing the feat.

With love, Kensho
"Don't let any person bring you so low as to hate them."
Booker T. Washington
ex

Unread post by ex »

ye that's when i saw him too, on a local tv show. i could not stand his new age crap. to close to jzs illusions were i did try to get away from. so i can see that a positive outlook on life helps some people. that raised the question who was first? jz or dyer. a point for him he does not charge an arm and a leg for his materials. for rse too its true that people who have theire 'bluebody healing' don't tell what other treatments they got.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

EX
Dyer relies on mass appeal or hundreds of thousands that may buy his products, thus does not need to bleed individual devotees for cash like JZ. Dyer also arranges 'tours' to spiritual sites with over a hundred attending. I would think he brings in far far more cash than JZ. Dyer has been at this shtick for decades--he's not new, but there is a hunger among tens of millions of people for some kind of spiritual magic and spiritual "science" when the chruches and old religions do not seem to deliver for them. Dyer does not run an exclusive "cult", but he does have a loyal following that might be considered more or less mainstream.

Kensho, I agree: People into Unity, Religious Science, Science of the Mind, A Course in Miracles, Edgar Cayce, The Secret, and generally New Age would find Dyer compatible.
You make a good point: It only takes a few highly suggestible types that have powerful experiences to impress those who do not in any group, thus giving everyone hope that a real "healing" or a "gnosis" can happen to them too.

But it is worth examining his ideas and how they work because they readily apply to more constricted versions like RSE.
Ockham

Unread post by Ockham »

The self empowerment message delivered by Dr. Dyer and his ilk, even JZ Knight, is something that can be of service to people. Too many times I've seen people build their own roadblocks to success due to superstition, misplaced self criticism, timidity, etc. Of course it is scary to make the commitment of time, personal security and resources to start a business, enter a marriage, make an elder care decision, etc. A course of guided healthy self introspection by a trained credentialed professional could be a great benefit to help one weigh facts rationally when embarking on a momentous decision.

Dyer, Knight and the others have the understanding of the need, but they don't have the training and thus fill in their knowledge gaps with potentially dangerous pseudo science and mumbo jumbo. To wit, the crap about intending, espoused in The Secret and by JZ Knight and other New Agers. All one needs to do is to look at the lecturers themselves. Dyer gets standard medical treatment. JZ Knight gets more plastic surgery than Dick Clark. It seems the erstwhile New Age hero teachers have feet of clay and don't heed their own dogma.

Joe hit the main point of the appeal much of New Age philosophy: the promise of bountiful results without hard work to back it up. There's a scene in one of the New Age movies where a little kid wishes hard for a bicycle and then a stranger walks up and gives the kid a bike. Yeah, right. The more realistic scenario is the kid wishes real hard for a bike, so it motivates him to get a paper route, mow yards and open a savings account so he can eventually go buy the best bike he can afford (which probably isn't quite as beautiful as that dream bike, but feels so great to ride after all that hard work!)

Return to “Destructive Manipulative Sects/Cults/Corperations, Cult Leaders Other Than RSE/JZ Knight”