?Cults and New Religions? book includes RSE

Educate yourself. Videos - Interviews - We address the topic of RSE, Cults and Recovery.
Open for discussion and exchange of views.
Caterpillar

?Cults and New Religions? book includes RSE

Unread post by Caterpillar »

I came across this book, Cults and New Religions (published in 2007) online so haven?t read it yet. It?s interesting that the book even mentions RSE. RSE must be a DANGEROUS CULT ?

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitl ... tents.html

Copied from above link under ?Description?:

?Cults and New Religions offers an overview of the history and development of eight new religious movements in the late twentieth century: the Church of Scientology, Transcendental Meditation, Unificationism, The Family International, the Ramtha School of Enlightenment, the Branch Davidians, Heaven's Gate, and Wicca.

The book profiles each new religion, describing its origins, doctrines and rituals, leadership and organization. Each chapter includes a discussion of one of the major sources of controversy surrounding these movements, controversies that have led to them being popularly regarded as "cults": whether they are indeed authentic religions, the validity of claims that brainwashing techniques are used to gain and retain members, their potential for violence, the implications of experimentation with unconventional sexual practices, and the deeply rooted cultural fears they engender?

Under ?Table of Contents?:

"4. Ramtha and the New Age: The Question of the Dangerous Cult.

Who Is JZ Knight and Who Is Ramtha?.

History and Development of Ramtha?s School of Enlightenment.

Beliefs and Practices of Ramtha?s School of Enlightenment.

RSE and the Question of the Dangerous Cult.

Further Reading on the New Age Movement."

?A look inside? this book can be found at Amazon.ca below:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/reader/14051612 ... eader-link
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

Buying it now. How interesting :!:
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
Sad Grandfather
Location: Joe Reeves, Carthage, Mississippi http://joesue.com/

Unread post by Sad Grandfather »

I just checked it out, but I don't have to pay 95 bucks to tell me RSE is a dangerous cult. Just doing a search on Google, a year ago, gave me more info than I ever wanted to know. I'm just waiting for my family to recover their minds, and for enough victims to file a class action suit against Judy to clean her out and put her on the street.

No I'm not holding my breath waiting for either of those to happen! :roll:
Down with Judith Hampton Knight!
Caterpillar

G2G, maybe you can do a 'chapter review' of the section on RSE. I wonder where the authors got their information from. Hopefully not from Gordon Melton as he was mentioned in the book.
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

Cat - I will definitely do this when I receive the book. Gordon Melton? Oh my. Let's hope not. :roll:
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
joe sz

caution yellow light

Unread post by joe sz »

If you buy this book be aware that it will reflect Melton's view and not mine or Jeff Knight's for example. ...we are not listed in the index. This book looks like a patched together text for new students in religious studies. There will be nothing in the book that the authors might be sued ofr, thus very very soft on criticism of NRMs. I doubt very much that Bromley and his co-author will even take seriously a ex-RSE member's statement. You are "disgruntled" and only tell "atrocity tales" according to this liberalized clique of sociologists, therefor you cannot be "objective" or reliable. yet these same "scholars" will quote from "new religious movement" brochures as if that information is reliable.

I know Bromley's work, one of the authors, and I met him once at a conference. I delivered a paper on a panel that he hosted for the Assoc of Sociology of Religion. Personally I find him likeable but he's been defined by his discipline all his academic career.

To his credit and the book in question I read some criticism of the ICSA/Margaret Singer positions on "cults". I have no problem with that as there is no reliable scientific guidelines for testing or predicting what is a dangerous cult

However, I cannot predict when a skunk will wander into my house but when it does I can recognize it and I know what I have to do.
Robair

Hey Joe

Unread post by Robair »

Hello Joe
Thank you for everything,I realy apreciate your point of view, and always amazed by your knowledge.
The skunk in my house :lol: :lol:
Oldone
I Value Things Not For What They Worth But For What They Represent
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

Oh, great. :cry: Checking to see if I can cancel my order :!:
Caterpillar

Joe, thanks for the info.

G2G, hope you managed to cancel the order.

Return to “TV Interviews - Videos -Documentaries - Educate yourself”