MOVING ON IN SPIRITUALITY

If you are new to this forum and are looking for information that is particularly helpful and relevant to those who have recently left RSE and are starting their recovery process, this is a good place to start.
FreeNow

MOVING ON IN SPIRITUALITY

Unread post by FreeNow »

Just because RSE turned out to be a dud doesn't mean we stop seeking truth.

I am currently reading a book called, "The Emerald Tablet" by Dennis William Hauck.

I am also looking at Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now".

I'll post what I think of them after I'm finished reading.

Any other suggestions? 8)
Keep the greater good at heart.
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

Free,

I've always found Edgar Cayce's teachings interesting...especially the medically related suggestions. A number of them have been researched and shown to be accurate. I personally know several people who followed what Cayce said for treating psoriasis and have had excellent results.
FreeNow

Unread post by FreeNow »

That's cool Watcha, I will see what my local library has on him.

How about we start a book list on this thread? :P

And, post reviews on those books!

I just started posting on the Eckhart Tolle forum, here is a link if interested:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/

You know this Ramtha thing was just a bump in my road.

Every time my best friend and I go on a road trip, as we pull out on the road, we sing, "We're OFF to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of OZ, because, because, because, because, because!" And, then we stop because we don't care why, we just go! And, that's how it is. 8)
Lost in Space

Unread post by Lost in Space »

Great stuff, checking out those books soon.

About Edgar Case...he had many new age beliefs, and also, he made future prophesies and analyzed dreams, etc...but, he attributed his powers (remote medical diagnosis and treatment recomendations for strangers) to God.
I know someone who swears she healed herself of cervical cancer by using some of the treatments listed as being recommended by Edgar Cayce.
FreeNow

Unread post by FreeNow »

Did Casey channel? If so was an individual entity or source?
Lost in Space

Edgar Cayce on Channeling your higher self: (from a book review)

Chapter 1
What Is Channeling?

One of the important theses in this book is that the common idea of channeling, as an experience in which one completely loses oneself to a separate entity being channeled (aka "trance channeling"), is not the only, nor even the ideal, form of channeling. Trance channeling bypasses the individual, thus limiting the individual's opportunity to learn and grow through the experience. Cayce often emphasized the importance of attuning to the higher self, while remaining conscious.
Lost in Space

More quotes - note the mention of zen archery:

Cayce?s idealism is comparable to the Zen archer in the book Zen in the Art of Archery, by Eugen Herrigel. This Zen archer could hit the bull's-eye of a target from sixty feet in total darkness by ?becoming one with the target.? Both the archer and Cayce looked within themselves to find knowledge. But, ultimately, the importance of intuition is not protective guidance or "trick-shooting;" it is that intuition leads us to awareness of "our true nature, One with God."

Cayce?s view of the mind, which is congruent with the way modern science is coming to see the mind, is that there is only one mind. Individual consciousness is like a tiny point coming out of the infinite One, which connects all superconscious and subconscious awareness. This concept shows why it is that any individual can access information from any location or source in the universe, including living or dead people, as well as sources of consciousness that have never been embodied. (Cayce taught, however, that it is not necessary to prove or focus on where the information comes from; but to compare information from different sources, and use experience and judgment to determine the usefulness of channeled information for you.) Here are some basic principles to remember in developing intuition:

1) Intuition exists through our essential oneness with creation. As you become consciously one with life, you become more consciously intuitive.

2) Intuition arises from our sympathetic attunement with the object of our intuition. Empathy is a form of attunement. Love is the highest form of attunement.

3) A need to know something, usually for protection or guidance, stimulates intuition.

4) Intuitive knowledge comes from within. Look within for intuition.

5) Intuition requires an acceptance of what spontaneously comes from within. It's usually our very first thought, feeling, or image.

6) Genuine intuitions are consistent with our highest values or ideals.

7) The best way to honor our intuitions is to act on them.

Sometimes people experience intuition as one or more voices that they hear. But Cayce warned that, when we open ourselves to channeling, it's possible to receive from the subconscious voices that are neither helpful nor benevolent. The solution to this problem is "to anchor our channeling in ideals and purposes." Via ideals and purposes, we are able to attune to the superconscious/higher self, to receive the best guidance.
Whatchamacallit

Lost,

If you have time, or...when you do, you might want to read this webpage. It's by a christian person who was "into" Cayce's teachings for a while, only to decide that Cayce was not a fraud, but was in contact with the devil.

Just fyi.

http://www.lamblion.com/articles/doctri ... lts-10.php
Lost in Space

Well, okay, but Whatcha, my personal belief is that there is no devil.

I have up close and personal knowledge about Edgar Cayce - my Sister is a member of ARE...however, this has not hurt her life at all, or damaged her values or her family relationships.
Lost in Space

quoting from that link...

Today such an individual would not last a week, as the medical authorities would shut him down in a New York minute, but in those simpler times, and with his excellent record, Cayce was able to operate pretty much without restraint

True, the medical authorities would shut him down, because he cured people, free...( the devil, on the other hand, is said to be greedy, and demons too). I think that, if there were demons involved, they were nice demons...I mean, can anybody tell me that Edgar Cayce brought grievous harm to others? Compromised them? Wounded or perverted their souls? Stole from them? Lied? Cheated? Showed inordinate pride? Was a libertine, cheated on his wife, coveted his neighbour's posessions, planted bombs, shot people, danced nacked in the town square while playing the fiddle? Drank excessively? Corrupted his children? Had anger management issues?
Don't think so.
Lost in Space

Dr. Reagan, the "person" who came to see Edgar Cayce as being demonically posessed, is a well-respected, highly educated Christian Evangelist, who has written a number of books himself...
Without passigng judgment on Mr. Reagan or his ministry, I will say that he believes that the rapturing and the second coming are imminent, with all that entails...end of the world, anyone?
Whatchamacallit

Hi Lost,

I didn't post that info to be argumentative. I like Cayce's work, but of course, there are those who would disagree and call him another cult. I know a medical doctor (who is a content, practicing Jew), who doesn't "follow" Cayce. We had a chat one day about Cayce and he told me knew from his experience with people, that a number of the health "advice" that Cayce gave, works.

No time to post more now. :)
Lost in Space

I was not meaning to be argumentative either.
I think, yes, there is a cult around Edgar Cayce. I just don't think it is destructive, or dangerous. My sister is one of my best friends, and I have observed the effects of her involvement in ARE over the last 8 years, most of which are positive, and none of which have so far been negative. She has not moved to Virgina Beach, or seems likely to do that.
I have read a few of the books on Mr. Cayce. Don't know what he was, but I have trouble swalliowng the idea that he was evil, or inspired by demons.
I just wanted people to consider the source of that claim.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

In 1973, long before we met, my wife travelled to Spain with a strange group called AMRA led [Ancient Mediterranean Research Assoc] by a channeler/psychic who claimed to have knowledge of Atlantis and where ancient scrolls were under the ocean. They arranged a diving expedition and thought they came up with film of some evidence. It turned into a fiasco because they were in a secure military zone, warrants were out for the arrest of the organizer, Maxine Asher, and my wife, then only 21, who was Maxine's personal assitant, "smuggled" the film out of Spain into Ireland---of course there was noting n the film. The Pepperdine University students and many others that were conned into going were angry when they discovered that Maxine was a nutcase. Maxine was/is a Edgar cayce advocate/imitator. One of the people on that tour was Edgar Cayce's granddaughter Gail who taught some of the metaphysics to the "class". She and my wife were friends then. It made enough of a splash to be writtien up in Newsweek, Aug 6, 1973, p 38.

I visited the A.R.E. Cayce center in Virginia Beach several times... not too impressive.

I suggest you revisit Cayce with more accuracy:
http://skepdic.com/cayce.html
"Even though Cayce didn't have a formal education much beyond grammar school, he was a voracious reader, worked in bookstores, and was especially fond of occult and osteopathic literature. (Osteopathy, in his day, was primitive and akin to naturopathy and folk medicine.) He was in contact with and assisted by people with various medical backgrounds. Even so, many of his readings would probably only make sense to an osteopath of his day. Martin Gardner cites Cayce's reading of Cayce's own wife as an example. The woman was suffering from tuberculosis:

.... from the head, pains along through the body from the second, fifth and sixth dorsals, and from the first and second lumbar...tie-ups here, floating lesions, or lateral lesions, in the muscular and nerve fibers which supply the lower end of the lung and the diaphragm...in conjunction with the sympathetic nerve of the solar plexus, coming in conjunction with the solar plexus at the end of the stomach.... (Gardner 1957: 217)

The fact that Cayce mentions the lung is taken by his followers as evidence of a correct diagnosis; it counts as a psychic "hit." But what about the incorrect diagnoses: dorsals, lumbar, floating lesions, solar plexus and stomach? Why aren't those counted as diagnostic misses? And why did Cayce recommend osteopathic treatment for people with tuberculosis, epilepsy, and cancer?"

Cayce was an awful predictor. Here's an example from something I wrote:
All of Edgar Cayce?s prophecies about Atlantis have been either disproved by time or remain so vague that they are practically useless. He began his trance-talks about the sunken continent in the late 1930?s and continued his pronouncements for two decades. In 1943 Cayce gave a reading numbered 3209-2 that suggested by 1976 there would be upheavals and destruction in some existing land areas. Cayce prophesied in 1941 that between 1958 and 1998 the following might happen:

"The earth will be broken up in the western portion of America. The greater portion of Japan must go into the sea. The upper portion of Europe will be changed in the twinkling of an eye. Land will appear off the East Coast of America.

Portions of the now East Coast of New York, or New York City itself, will in the main disappear. This will be another generation, though, here; while the southern portions of Carolina, Georgia, these will disappear. This will be much sooner... The waters of the [Great] Lakes will empty into the Gulf [of Mexico]." EE Cayce 1972 'Edgar Cayce on Atlantis'

Cayce believed that a spirit of a 19th century doctor was working through him. That is why so many of his "remedies" are so archaic, not too mention a lot of chicken soup and mustard plasters.
FreeNow

Unread post by FreeNow »

So far I am very impressed with Eckhart Tolle. He doesn't promote religion or dogma. He appears to be a humble man who is telling of his experience and nothing channeled. Right now I don't want anything channeled as I don't trust it.

As far as trust goes I don't trust Christians. I refuse to have business dealing with any because I get ripped off. After all, they are forgiven their sins so they do whatever they want. :x At least that is what my Christian neightbor Carl said when I asked about the live sex shows he was selling on the internet. And, his wife said she that even thought he has affairs she couldn't leave him because God hates divorce and she will go to hell if she leaves him. It all SICK, IMO! :evil:

My experiences in church have not been wonderful - sexual abuse as a child by the Mormon elder. The vibes are dark, very dark. I get physically ill if I get near a church now, and I'm so glad I live NOW and in the USA, so I don't have too.

Sorry I know this off topic.
Lost in Space

I do not advocate for anybody joining ARE, just wanted a balanced picture to be presented...

Joe, that is interesting, about your wife's journey. Never heard of Maxine or the tape.
My personal thought is that, anytime anything is discovered or dug up, a whole host of "experts" or "respected scientific authorities", or "wise elders" or "decent Churchmen" gather round and collectively debunk any theory but the one which supports their own system of belief (or unbelief).
:x My EXPERT is bigger than your EXPERT, nyah, nyah, nyah nyah nyah"...I continue to make up my own mind, and on some subjects, such as the existence of Atlantis, I am prepared to suspend judgment indefinitely.
The Quantum Mechanic (TM)

Fortune Cookies, Horoscopes, Fortune Tellers, Tarot Cards,

Unread post by The Quantum Mechanic (TM) »

When one moves on, or contemplates changing their status of "belonging" to any routine, group, organization-- especially spiritual gatherings where one enjoys the belief system that they are there for a (divine) (intentional) purpose; that those whom they meet are meant to be there-- as if reunited family and friends (from at least this lifetime), it can be difficult to let go from said routines.

One initially misses the gift of "expectation". There is this unknown, illusive sense of "looking forward to" or "anticipation" that a coming visit, teachingt, book, event, or gathering of many, will result in an enjoyable, stimulating, fun, purposeful benefit. The hope that one will feel, know, believe, and experience a state of mind, body, soul that is greater than when they arrived.

We know in psychology, that human beings tend to move away from pain, and toward pleasure when given the autonomy and freedom to do so.

The challenge many of us face, as we contemplate and move on, is the letting go of what we cherished, and perhaps were not even aware was "part and parcel" of the experience.

When, inevitably, in life, we rediscover that any time we put our faith, trust, hopes, resources, commitment in the hands of another, it is only a matter of time before we remember, "ah, yes, this is just like the last time I believed in someone or something".

The gift, is the sense of joy, of purpose we think we are bringing to our lives and others by the opportunity to learn, to share, to feel we are coming closer to knowing our purpose, our place, our talents, our ability to grow and master.

Most spiritual entertainments, allow us the fantasy of a collage of eastern and western variations on the theme of how one might interact with God, with the unseen, and often, the "gifts of the spirit" include the ability to heal oneself or others.

When we are dealing with grief, and no matter the proclaimed faith of the dearly departed, or ourselves, there is nothing like the pangs, the forever silenced voice, of someone whom we have truly, genuinely loved deeply. In such times, we are more likely to seek out answers, or even the "fringe" of alternate explanations-- and "proclaimed abilities" of others to contact the "dead" or "those who have transitioned beyond the physical body".

If there has been unresolved, ongoing, conflict, or deliberate unforgiveness on either of two or more parties, and death removes the opportunity to resolve differences, judgments or resentments, there too, is another factor in why we might chose avenues, individuals, or groups, we may not have ever sought out, were we in harmony with ourselves, and others.

During the Halloween month, there is all manner of preoccupation, and annual attention given to ghosts, paranormal activities, poltergeists, haunted places, and se?nces.

At the Yelm events, costumes were 'matter of factly' explained to be for dressing up, becoming that which you'd like to become -- or to master one's fear of something. This was often passed down to ones children. It was not necessarily wise, it was taught, to allow your children (or yourself) to dress up and pretend to be someone or something out of social consciousness, or without careful consideration to what one was putting their consciousness.

As such, some children did not have the complete freedom to be, to wear a holiday costume of their own choosing. After all, as students and "masters" of receiving the absolute truth and authority of such things... some faithful parents, made their children, contemplate 'that which they desired to become or master' as a prerequistite and mandate before the child(ren) could enjoy the holiday.

Of course, the "high holidays" of Christ-in-Mass (Christmas) kept creeping up, so that in many faithful students homes, the Christmas Tree (which had to be adorned in similar, deliberate fashion, ) went up in October as well.

The holiday season carried a wonderful sense of meaning to most of the masters at school, including me, myself and I.

From those who are not involved with any such spiritual group or organization, and attempt to enjoy the traditions of their family or religion, or a more "traditional" or going thru the motions of celebrating the annual seasons and holidays, we thought they may be missing the true meaning or purpose of same.

The hope, entertainment and "fun" of the tradition of opening a fortune cookie after an Americanized Chinese meal, or glancing in the paper, magazine, or on-line at one's 'sign' in the horoscopes, are more easily distinguishable as fun/entertainment or "wonder what it says" type of traditions.

Some, seek out psychics, fortune tellers, tarot card readings, and the like, hoping that said individual will be able to divine their future, tell them of their love life, their relationships, their job/work situation, their fortune... and depending on the learned skill sets of said soothsayers, one may put a little bit of hope or faith, unfortunate credibility, in what is being said in the name of...

And how does that then differ, with when pays even more money, dedication, time and slowly, unknowingly, become dependent upon the entertaining manner in which predictions or fortune telling is given? Especially when utilizing all manner of books, movies, sciences, global events?

Future historians will decide... but it certainly, at the least, has left the casual world of entertainment, and child-like hopeful play, into placing ones life choices, decisions, and destiny into the words, thoughts, beliefs of someone other than yourself.

This was ironically called, "giving one's power away" ... and so it is...
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Greetings Master...
... The Quantum Mechanic (TM)....

You?re post is flavored with a little RSE syntax...!
I wonder if you are doing this consciously, or unconsciously?
And I ask this respectfully and gently.
Your use of the word ?Social consciousness?.
Here is an example of how a perfectly good and well meaning word has been hijacked and negatively redefined by JZR.
Since the subject of this thread is about "moving on"..!
Reclaiming our language by recognizing the ?Ramspeak? imbedded in our thinking is an important step in recovering from the RSE indoctrinations...

Here is the true meaning of the word Social Consciousness from Wikipedia,
It is a wonderful term.

David.

From Wikipedia
Social consciousness is consciousness shared within a society. It can also be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society.
Social consciousness brings moral implications. Often, people with an awakened social consciousness become socially active.
A socially conscious person tends to be empathetic towards others regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, disability, class, or sexual identity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_consciousness
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Whatchamacallit

Quantum said, "Future historians will decide... but it certainly, at the least, has left the casual world of entertainment, and child-like hopeful play, into placing ones life choices, decisions, and destiny into the words, thoughts, beliefs of someone other than yourself.

This was ironically called, "giving one's power away" ... and so it is..."

With regard to fortune tellers (whatever you choose to call them), I disagree that they are a form of "giving one's power away". Recently, I saw a new book on a local library book shelf. I checked the book out, and it's about the police working with area "psychics", to obtain leads on cases that they are stumped on. Many times, with the intuitive help of "someone outside themselves", the police department's investigation unit is able to complete cases that they were unable to, previously.

In an analogy, I know of some with the belief that you don't use antibiotics, because your body can heal ITSELF. The fact is, at times we need help from "outside" ourselves. How we obtain that help, is a choice.
It gets into the old "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" cliche. Just because JZR is what she is, doesn't mean that all intuitive people are frauds, money grabbers, whatever.

Now, I am fully aware that there are readers/posters on this forum who would prefer to chew me up and spit me out for even insinuating that there are genuine people with psychic abilities. There are. The police departments don't lie.

There are people who are genuinely "psychic". Gifts of the Spirit, soothsayers, fortune tellers, whatever you call it, it is what it is and there are genuine people who have these gifts-abilities.

So, I just wanted to respectfully disagree with part of your post and offer another viewpoint. Since this isn't RSE, we're free to do just that.

:?
The Quantum Mechanic (TM)

Clarification

Unread post by The Quantum Mechanic (TM) »

Dear David & Watcha,

The intent of my moving on post was not consciously using any syntax
it was rather realizing how, through the teachings of the school, I had
stiffled the free choice and joy on more than one halloween as our child
wanted to be this or that. Rather than, just allow, as I did prior to yland,
or certainly afterwards, it was a conscious effort (that is NOT ramspeak, conscious as in DELIBERATE) just to respectfully clarify.

My apologies if I more than raised an eyebrow, was not my intent at all, more of a shared personal confession, having moved on.

Dear Whatcha, I certainly didn't mean to imply, and if I did, that all individuals with anamolous or paranormal gifts are not true.

Similarly, I was thinking of the (specifically) charlatans, those who used to take advantage of grieving people, have them bring money, lots of it, tie it up in handkerchiefs to relieve their curse or bad karma, or for the soul of the departed. This was attempted upon me on three separate instances, in AZ, Canada, and in the South East.

I hereby post a retraction and clarification, if necessary, the moderators can feel free to remove the post(s). It was not intended to be "all inclusive" and most assuredly there is no peppered intent.

In the future, I will be more circumspect of spontaneously posting personal revelations, awareness, without running it through a scrupulous, "ramspeak spell & grammar checker"

Apologies, but none should be necessary.

I DID however, intentionally chose to carefully place the preceding thread in what I thought was the most appropriate category.. that being, moving on...

I am not certain why I chose the fortune cookie, fortune teller analogy other than, what I really was trying to communicate was those are "light hearted" or events that one might enjoy with friends, and no one at the dinner table, or even most social circles (that is what I meant by social consciousness-- what seems to be accepted socially)...

ah, me grows, weary of symantics,
but I did want to post a clarification, and in order not to offend either of you,
whom I do not desire to do so...

wasn't trying to debate, nor offend, I guess I should just go back to journaling
Sorry, once again

TQM
Whatchamacallit

QM,

NO APOLOGY NEEDED.

speaking for myself only here...

i was addressing a point that you made about the TOPIC of psychics. IRREGARDLESS of your viewpoint of who/what they are/aren't, i wanted to disagree with the correlation between psychics and giving our power away. period.

you have a right to what you posted, as do i. neither of us needs apologize for our viewpoints !!!! yikes, then we'd be back in rse if we had One Thought on emf; the party line. perish the thought.

i KNOW there are genuine psychics. i am not expecting anyone else to believe there are, though. or even to care. as well, i absolutely agree that there are charlatans.
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

whatcha writes: "i KNOW there are genuine psychics. i am not expecting anyone else to believe there are, though. or even to care. as well, i absolutely agree that there are charlatans."

I have to agree with you, whatcha, in knowing there are "indeed" :wink: people with genuine psychic abilities. Sometimes, it seems to run in families.
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
tree

Unread post by tree »

In the future, I will be more circumspect of spontaneously posting personal revelations, awareness, without running it through a scrupulous, "ramspeak spell & grammar checker"

Bwahahahah!!! :D

Return to “Starting Your Recovery Process”