the local Baptist Church

There are a number of ways that people of all walks of life get recruited into cults. Share your experience here.
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

the local Baptist Church

Unread post by EMFWebmaster »

cooeee posted
27 May 2008

David and Whatcha will recall that during the early Om Akad days there were grave concerns being expressed within the Yelm community by the local Baptist Church about our involvement with The Big R and RSE - they even used to post messages on their street signs to warn us against what they saw as our folly - these people were not aggressive or impolite in fact they protested very peacefully and many of you will also remember that the Big R even had us (during an event) line up on the road outside the ranch and "allow" these people to express their concern, he even told us to love them for their point of view - all of us felt somewhat empowered in doing that.....I know I certainly did.

At that time my wife and I had purhased a 5 acre parcel of land just off Bald Hills Road and we were living in a 26ft caravan (travel trailer) - one day I was visited by a very polite Baptist who said he was concerned at what we were getting ourselves into and he very politely 'asked' if he could talk to me - at no time did he preach to me or condemn me - he simply asked if I would take the time to read a book he wanted to give to me about people who got caught up in cults - I asked him if the book was fact or fiction and he admitted that it was fiction - I thanked him for his concern and stated that I was only interested in "fact" and that fiction did not interest me - he thanked me for listening and then left me alone.....what a great guy and what a great approach!

This wonderful person's concern for my welfare was genuine but I was not ready to listen - he wasn't asking me to become a Baptist he simply didn't want me to be caught up in what the Baptist Church then saw as a cult - had he approached me aggressively and condemned me for my point of view I would have responded in much the same manner plus some - the point I am trying to make here is that condemning the current schoolies for being stupid and holding to their "current" point of view is going to achieve diddly squat - if we want them to listen to what we have to offer from our experiences then we must first treat them respect and be prepared to tolerate their comments and their point of view - my Baptist friend did not convince me of anything but by treating me with dignity and respect he at least got me to "listen" to his concerns!!!

As an aside - to bring power to our site I need to dig a bloody deep hole in moving sandy soil, for every 100 shovels of soil I removed at least 50 would fall back in, once deep enough I then needed to position a large and heavy power pole but, by sliding it in on an angle by hand the hole would quickly fill back up again - an acquantance of mine at the school (super advanced) had previously told me that I could borrow his old pickup if I needed to in order to get the job done (slide the pole off the tray into the hole without disturbing the sides) - I saw him drive past heading up Bald Hills Road so I called him to take him up on his offer - he was clearly put out and made a rather lame excuse that the pickup could no longer get reverse gear and it therefore would not be practical and as much as I reasoned with him he refused my request - an hour or so later the neighbour from whom we purchased the land (he lived next door) saw that I was struggling and came accross to see if he could help - he just happened to be another Baptist, but within minutes of observing my dilemna he returned with a backhoe and we quickly had the pole in position - now whilst he did "praise the Lord" the odd once or twice he never preached to me but he did "mildly" express the concerns held for our welfare by the Baptist Church - the "advanced" student with the pickup has the initials GS and he now holds a very senior and prominent position within the RSE hierachy, I think they call him a Teacher - so much for integrity.....give me the Baptists anytime!

Now I will never be religous and I certainly won't ever become a Baptist but those of us in Elohim, Akmen Ra and Om Akad used to think that these people were stupid - yet all these stupid people wanted was for us to see the folly of our ways, not to convert us but to simply open our eyes - we refused to do that because we thought we knew better....our friends currently at The School are no different than we were and treating them with disdain and contemp and calling them stupid is not going to get their attention - they don't want to hear about cults no more than I did (or you) and I firmly believe that this approach is flawed - if we want to gain the attention of the current lot of schoolies then perhaps we should treat them with the same respect that the Baptists showed to us so long ago - and maybe then, with reasoned points of view, we may be able to get the odd one or two to listen.....ignoring their points of view and continually confronting them is guaranteed to achieve absolutely nothing!

There's no point continuing to preach to those already converted to your point of view - we want to attract dialogue from those who disagree and then present reasonable questions to them (with respect) and allow them the time to reach their own conclusions.....I take my hat off to the Yelm Baptists who had no hidden agenda other than our welfare.

Keep having fun,

COOEEE
30 May 2008 10:37 am

David McCarthy posted May 31 2008

Thank you for your post cooeee,

Your post is somewhat "Off topic" from JFRL topic thread ?how it all began??
So.. Our posts may be moved by the moderators to its own folder.

Perhaps you will share with us how it all began for you?.
Just what was it that convinced you? to become a member of RSE & OmAkad?
Last year I had the opportunity to share lunch with the Roy Baptist Church minister whose congregation protested outside the gates of RSE. There was not a hint of condemnation from him, only a genuine
concern for our spiritual well-being and a desire to understand what goes on behind the walls of RSE, he sincerely believes that what JZ Knight is doing is evil and destructive. And ?in my opinion? there is some truth to this?! I see evil more as a parasite that preys upon humanity..
I will save my thoughts on this touchy subject for another thread.
We had a lengthy discussion on the meaning of life..
There was no Bible bashing or hellfire and damnation?
He even paid for lunch..
Since then.. I have met most of the Church leaders in the Yelm area,
and without exception, they were gracious, kind and respectful.
It is as you observe?dignity and respect is essential if EMF is to be effective.

David
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

David and Cooeee said, "It is as you observe?dignity and respect is essential if EMF is to be effective."

I would also agree with that.

I'd also add that for as much as we are each individually capable (anyone who reads or posts on this forum), it is helpful to be as flexible and tolerant as possible. Keeping in mind that the nature of this forum attracts people who are likely to be having some emotional "stuff" going on, and may not be at their best. It can at times (and has been), be a challenge to offer support without enduring offense. I'm not speaking of the moderators; I'm speaking of everyone. What offends one person, doesn't offend another; that sort of thing.

So, with that in mind, I would say a resounding "yes" to dignity and respect, and also to flexibility and tolerance - to a degree.

Return to “How Did You Get Hooked Into RSE ?”