Lack of Leaders & Lack of Community

The stories of people who have been in RSE, and the red flags that caused them to step back, ponder it all, and realize it's time to leave, are varied and diverse. Post your story here to help others.
Wakeup-Call

Lack of Leaders & Lack of Community

Unread post by Wakeup-Call »

During 10 years at RSE which ran parallel to my professional career, I kept expecting to see JZR's "succession plan" (as is the corporate term) to kick in. There was enough 1:1 coaching, yet there is not one staff member that performs as the model of an experienced, servant leader in my opinion. Being picked by JZR seems to be enough for them to expect me to follow whatever whim of an order they bark or snark. They are all busy, busy, busy and I've only seen the new teachers treat the students as treasures for the first few honeymoon months of their appointment.

The other major red flag for me is the dearth of true, established self-sustaining community in the area after 20+ years. Personal responsiblity, yes, is important. But at some point, my observation is that the natural growth is then to reach out and build connections. The local churches are miles ahead of RSE in this aspect. The best RSE has accomplished is various circles of cliques. And the only actions they marshall for are directed by JZR - cell towers, NASCAR, vote for Steve for mayor - and once JZR stops talking about the topic, the community stops. Nothing takes root. It is a shallow garden. It is "every man for himself."

Certainly there are sincere individuals, with sincere friendships. But no core societal structure building has happened. And it seems to me that THAT concept would provide a greater security in any coming storms than 2 years of freeze-dried spaghetti.

The primary community-building coaching in recent years is to "buy from RSE students." Well, geez - if they were a group like the Shakers or Amish known for their integrity and outstanding quality, I would in a minute and so would the rest of the area!

One true craftsman I know is not current in the school and therefore Carey Miller won't hire him to join his band of merry men. But my oh my, how much work he gets cleaning up after that group and doing the work right.

A variation on the lack of community is the number of unhappy relationships I see RSE students remain in because they "must survive the changes." If they divorced, they'd have to leave Yelm (most likely) and lose their investment in all their preparedness stuff. So instead of dying in the earth changes, they die a little bit more each day in a loveless or abusive relationship.

These may not be shocking red flags, but they have been my primary wake-up calls.
tree

Unread post by tree »

I kept expecting to see JZR's "succession plan" (as is the corporate term) to kick in.
when I worked there, I always wondered why there was not a protocol found in most corporations.
There were only "unspoken" and "understood" rules.

When I paid a visit to my physician (female nurse practitioner who is also current), I went in for work related
stress issues. She blatantly told me : that is one of thee most dusfunctional places to work.

Now, of course, this was a relief to me, coming from a professional.
But had my critical thinking been intact, I would have extended that dysfunction title to the entire
organization and leader.
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

Wakeup-Call - I think these are very telling red flags you've listed. They are essentially the absence of the fruits we would expect to see from all the 'great work' that is being done. The fact that there is not only no extraordinary, but not even plain old ordinary development to be found in RSE/Yelm is not really a surprise (anymore...). It is what is REAL about the school. Unfortunately.
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles
tree

Unread post by tree »

Unless of course, you are of the RSE bent and consider Kenny seeing through cards and Master of Music wagering on the horses
as a community of leaders :roll: I still fail to see how these Henry Sugar attributes (and NOT copyrighted by JZK Inc) are of
ANY value to the world as a whole (or small).
I just see it as a cult living in the drinking and gambling virtues :roll: of society.
Wakeup-Call

Unread post by Wakeup-Call »

Tree, that's an excellent point questioning the value of developing abilities like seeing through cards and moving poker chips. Even in the Henry Sugar story, once the guy accomplished the feat, he was something at a loss at what to do with it himself.

In my personal reflection on this, it seems to me that the value of telepathy lies in the empathy in should invoke in us. If I can literally hear how my comments or actions impacted another person, it should build my compassion and connectedness with others.

Sad, but at RSE the attention is on getting on TV, getting into studies, getting big monetary winnings. Not on being better able to quickly walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I think that's the value of telepathy.

I could also see the value in moving poker chips...I'd like to move some cash back into my bank account from RSE's!!!
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

Very good points Tree and Wakeup-Call.
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles

Return to “Your RSE Experience & What Red Flags Woke You Up Toward Leaving?”