The Subconscious Mind

If you are new to this forum and are looking for information that is particularly helpful and relevant to those who have recently left RSE and are starting their recovery process, this is a good place to start.
QuestionGirl

The Subconscious Mind

Unread post by QuestionGirl »

I thought the article below was pretty interesting. I am someone who has a lot of trouble sleeping. I can stay up days without sleeping or when I do sleep I average around two or three hours a night. It seems like the less sleep I get the more energy I have. The problem is when I am not sleeping the way I should I tend to dream a lot more. When I dream I have a tendency to talk in my sleep. Needless to say my moms heard me say quite a few strange things during the years. I am lucky, I now see a Doctor who prescribes a medication to help me sleep. Without it I'd probably never sleep at all. When I take it I actually sleep peacefully and I don't talk in my sleep the way I normally do. When I went to see her this past week she was telling me my dreams are coming from my subconscious. Needless to say, as many of you can tell, I love to research and learn everything. I plan on learning as much as I can about the subconscious mind and I'll share interesting things I come across with all my myspace friends and all my www.enlightenmefree.com (friends too!)

The Subconscious Mind...
By Loren Parks

The reason we have so much illness and strife is that doctors and the population in general haven't the slightest idea how our minds work. If you trace the literature on healing into antiquity, including the Bible, it is there right in front of you. If we investigate healing in primitive and advanced societies, the concept smacks us right in the face, yet we can't see it.
The person who understands the most about how the mind works in our society is the demagogue (Hitler, Mussolini, Kim Il Sung of North Korea, Castro, Arab extremists, etc. and hell, fire and damnation religionists like Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker). They know you can get people to do ridiculous things, like part with their money or give their lives, for ideas that make no sense at all. They do this in two ways: REPETITION and AROUSING EMOTION. THEY AROUSE FEELINGS OF PRIDE, GLORY, FEAR, GREED, LUST!
When anyone arouses these emotions in you, he has you under his control. Seduction is a perfect example. Swindlers arouse greed. Politicians arouse greed. Preachers arouse fear. The Catholic church says "Give me the child before he's 6 and I'll have him for life." Have you changed your religion or politics since early childhood?
Emotions come from the so-called subconscious mind. The subconscious is crazy. It allows others to program it. We program it ourselves in periods of high emotions. (Love is blind.) How many of you married for the excitement of sex, only to find later you were incompatible? How many of you engage in impulse buying? Why do cigarette companies always show the beautiful people smoking, not the hags? Why did you start smoking, or drinking? Was there a physiological need or feelings of inadequacy?
Most people run on emotions. School doesn't teach us to reason. We try to teach our kids, but how well did it work? It has been said "Where the will and the emotions are in conflict, bet on the emotions."
Emotions can be a driving force to make one achieve great things or a destructive force to make one fail and be miserable. In business, if you let yourself be ruled by your emotions, you'll soon be out of business. YOU MUST RECOGNIZE THAT WHEN YOU'RE EMOTIONAL YOU'RE OUT OF CONTROL! THE ONLY TIME FOR EMOTIONS TO BE ALLOWED FREE REIGN IS IN BED!
We are all programmed by our culture. We wouldn't think of eating dog meat, people, insects, snake or horse meat, yet millions of people do with great gusto. Yet the American pilot shot down in Yugoslavia survived eating insects. Survival was important to him, more important than cultural ideas. What I'm getting at is millions of people have beliefs they would die or kill for which make no sense at all. Many religions glorify a hereafter to get people to die in battle or give money. All work by programming the mind by eliciting emotions and by repetition, especially from authority figures.
We are all programmed. According to a Johns Hopkins study some years back, some 60 to 80% of illnesses have a heavy psychosomatic component. MOST of these conditions are relatively easy to fix UNLESS there is strong counter programming by religion or doctors or the person is still living under the stress that causes the condition. In other parts of this document are discussions of how this is accomplished -- namely disconnecting a person from upsetting emotional experiences or from things people have said (often upsetting). It only works if the person is receptive to the change. If you are going to change someone's religion or politics, you'll have to do so with the cooperation of the conscious mind.
You don't change basic beliefs or morals with hypnosis. In thousands of experiments with trained, deep-trance subjects, I found I could cause ecstasy or pain and scare the heck out of them with practical jokes, but I could never cause them to do something they normally would not do. The reason for most people's unhappiness and lack of success is that they let themselves be influenced by their child-like, emotional, subconscious mind.
I am a very stable person in stress situations. However, if I go to a wedding, a funeral or a movie with a sad story (even a cartoon), the tears stream down my face. I am out of control. I can't fix myself. You probably can't fix yourself, either. It may be my compassionate nature that has driven me to help thousands of people with various maladies and hangups. But I make a good living using only my reasoning (conscious) mind. I know my emotional mind could destroy me if I'd let it.
Many believe that to get to the subconscious for therapy you need to induce a trance. Not so. The subconscious is always listening and ready to be programmed, for good or for bad. I never use trances for healing. They're slow, uncertain, and the results are no better than if they're not used at all. One simply needs to know what to do in the ordinary waking state. I do know what to do. It's very simple. For entertainment on the stage you do need the deep trance. Only a small portion of the audience will go into the deep trance (somnambulistic) in a reasonable time.
I have a doctor friend in Spain who is a surgeon. Since 1974 he has done all his operations using no anesthetic whatsoever. The patient is awake, talking, eating or drinking, and feeling no discomfort. I have seen a couple of hours of his videos, and I've been in lots of operating rooms. It's not phony.
He says he has NEVER had a post-operative complication. He does not induce a trance. I have watched him work with patients and create an analgesia. The BBC did an hour-long program on his work some time ago, and he is presently negotiating for a second program. I will soon go for the third time to watch the whole procedure thru the operation. I speak Spanish so I can follow everything.
Pain control is common in primitive cultures. People skew themselves with nails and swords. I don't know whether my surgeon friend's methods will work in our culture or not. I intend to find out. I am not good at physical pain control. I'm a stress reliever. One big advantage I have in doing healing is that I have gone into primitive cultures to witness the healings, primarily in the Philippines. They often get fantastic healings by placebo methods. I picked up their methods and modfied them for our society.
I only heal by telephone any more. I have a self-therapy hotline that takes about 4 minutes, free. It's on computer voicemail. Check the homepage below. In other parts of this document, still under construction, are files you can use with a friend to feel and function better. If you are on a tranquilizer it may not work at all. Same if you are under heavy stress. Try the automated therapy by telephone from my homepage and also, if you have a soundcard, the streaming audio. Two other alternatives are for me to send you a personalized voicemail (must have soundcard) or work with you by phone. All free.

I found the above at the link below:

http://www.enotalone.com/article/2622.html

These are some other articles he's written that sound like they'd be interesting too.

http://www.enotalone.com/authors.php?aid=41

It looks like he has another site which is pretty interesting. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. One of my friends recently told me that anything that comes from God is free! He has a section toward the bottom of the screen entitled "My Background." I thought it was neat because he calls himself a "Lay Therapist." The next line states: All I do or present is free. I do the best I can to give people insight into how our minds work, using the internet and my quite extensive personal experience.

The last line under "My Background" states NOTE: The author of this page is not a state or medically-licensed professional. He may not be but he sounds very knowledgeable! He also sounds like a sincere person who is trying to help mankind in a good way -- not the way many false mortal leaders do these days. How many people who are deceiving, corrupt, and selfish offer their services for free? Hope others enjoy his sites as much as I did.

http://www.psychresearch.com/
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Hello QuestionGirl,

Thank you for your post,
you seem to be advocating hypnotherapy as a helpful physiological tool in our recovery from RSE..
This is not something I have understood to be effective, in fact it may very well be detrimental...!
Can you cite any reliable references/sources as to its successful use in recovery therapy of victims of cultic abuse?
Personally I would keep well away from such approaches,
Perhaps others here on EMF have a more positive view as to its validity for "Life after RSE".

David.
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Kensho

Unread post by Kensho »

While this "lay therapist" may have good intentions and in reading some of what is offered, that very well may be so; there are a few concerns. The conclusion regarding the subconscious mind and its relation to illness seems have been arrived at through Loren P's personal observations and contemplations. There are other sources who are duly trained and certified therapists who disagree with his point of view. The topic of hypnotherapy's validity for ex-cult members might have some similarities to the use of NLP.

Perhaps it would be of benefit for EMF members who may be interested in hypnosis or any therapy to at least carefully review the following EMF thread:

http://www.enlightenmefree.com/phpbb3/p ... .php?t=739

Certainly one would be wise to thoroughly investigate the validity of hypnotherapy (or any other therpy) for any percieved condition before engaging it, but before experimenting with on-line therapy techniques, the sort of which are offered, such investigation would be especially wise. It is also worth noting that an audio download may also contain a subliminal...

Loren P. does provide contact options for those who wish to enter into discussions but where are the qualifications to select and provide the most appropriate care to those who would make such contact? The worse case scenario would be that what is presented as "therapy" is a cover for a particular agenda. The site claims to provide all information for free and that seems to be altruistic and genuine, but on the other hand it may also be that the cost does not involve a monetary one.

I would hope that what Loren P. does presents is only of benefit to people who choose to engage it but as the saying goes, "Once bitten, twice shy."

To those of us who have experienced or are still experiencing what is prommoted at RSE, it may be best to give serious consideration to any therapy offered where ongoing professional guidance is not also provided. Even then, the jury seems to still be out on the value of many so called therapies.

A duly qualified therapist, preferably one who is familiar with post-cult/exit issues might be a wiser choice for those who wish to engage therapy.

Much love to all.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

That lady is trained as a Clinical Hypnotherapist and she also has a degree in Psychology. Since she has a degree in Psychology she should really understand the mind and how it works.
QuestionGirl,
Who are you referring to?
It certainly cannot be Loren Parks, he describes himself as the following.....
I am what is known as a "Lay Therapist." All I do or present is free. I do the best I can to give people insight into how our minds work, using the internet and my quite extensive personal experience.
NOTE: The author of this page is not a state or medically-licensed professional.
Loren Parks,
Psychological Research Foundation, Inc
perhaps I'm missing something you posted here?

David.
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
QuestionGirl

Hi David

I posted two entries last night the first one was entitled Deep Phobias and Hypnosis. The lady in that video is trained as a Clinical Hypnotherapist and a Psycologist. Those videos are very cool! They were from an episode that was aired on 20/20.

Loren Parks is not a medically-licensed professional. I just found his site last night and thought it was interesting. I really enjoyed reading his article regarding the Subconscious Mind. Whether his form of therapy works or not -- I don't know. I found the following regarding him below. It states in the article that he is not religious but is a believer in faith healing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loren_Parks
Robair

Hello Q.G

Unread post by Robair »

Hello Q.G

The difference between me and you is that I chose to search inward where it sounds like many of you chose to search outward.

You do not sean to known a whole about what we have been true in Ramtha's cult,just to let you known so that you do not make an other ingorant statement,it has been all about looking inward,to the god within you.
Oldone
I Value Things Not For What They Worth But For What They Represent
QuestionGirl

Hi Oldone

I am sorry if you misunderstood the statement I was trying to make.

"The difference between me and you is that I chose to search inward where it sounds like many of you chose to search outward."

What I was trying to say is that I searched inward -- looked inside myself for the answers -- the truth. You and the other members of the RSE were also in search of truth and trying to find God or a higher power. You were searching inward but also searched outward in search of truth. That is why you became followers of JZ Knight "Ramtha." You believed that she/he held the answers to the questions you were searching for. Unfortunately, mortal man/woman can be good but they can also be evil. I believe JZ Knight seems like a very knowledgeable person when she is herself. She could have done a lot of good in the world but like I stated before her greed and selfishness led her in a different direction. I feel sad that many of you followed someone you believed in who basically enslaved and took advantage of you for many years. You may have learned a lot from JZ Knight "Ramtha" through the years but I bet looking back you now realize you lost a lot too. Through my healing and spiritual journey through life I've learned that God is immortal and he lives in your heart. If you want to find him you need to search inward not outward. God wants us to be happy and live our life in peace.
Robair

Hello

Unread post by Robair »

Hello little
It does not look to me that you are searching inward look like you are searching the Net.

Why are you here anyway?
Oldone
QuestionGirl

Hi Oldone

I've been on my own healing and spiritual journey. My path in life never led me toward cults but I've experienced a lot through the years which helps me understand what people like you go through. I've lived with anger and had to learn to forgive. I've had regrets, lived with sadness, had hatred towards others who have hurt me in the past. A lot of the emotional issues cult members experience I've experienced too. I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and Bipolar I. I've written many poems through the years. Eventually I will post a couple on this site which I hope will help others experiencing some of the same emotions I did. I thought this was basically an open forum where anyone could join. I guess I didn't realize you were only supposed to join if you were a former RSE student. In my search of truth I've been searching inward but in a way I've chosen to search outward the same way you and others did. I didn't choose to follow a mortal man or woman I chose to find answers by looking inward and then also educating myself (through self knowledge.) Due to my illness I tend to do a lot of research. I read a lot! I don't believe I can save the world but I am hoping I can make a difference for some! If I am able to help one person in life then I believe my being here was worth it.
Robair

Hello again

Unread post by Robair »

Hello Q.G.
This is an open forum but not open to every subject one might encounter in there life,it is for cult recovery there Family,an RSE in focus.
Even though we do apreciate your input,we need to keep our board clean of Advertising of any kind.
Please feel free to post but remember to keep them on topic an no ads.

Oldome
QuestionGirl

Hi Oldone

Thank you!

Return to “Starting Your Recovery Process”