breatharian in seattle

For general chit chat on RSE related topics. You are walking through the woods and come upon a group socializing around the campfire. Pull over a log to sit on and join us. Introduce yourself here! Pages 1 & 2
joe sz

breatharian in seattle

Unread post by joe sz »

there was (is) a small Breatharian cult in Australia--one person died, the leader cheated, as I recall.
Seattle woman attempts to live on sunlight, water

Q13FOX.com

5/6/2013
by Brett Cihon
Digital Producer

SEATTLE — A few rare plants can live on exclusively sunlight, water and air. But a human? One Seattle woman is trying to find out.

Navenna Shine, the founder and subject of the Living on Light experiment, plans to spend the next four to six months abstaining from food of any kind and living on only light, water and tea.

According to her website

Livingonlight.co, Shine started the experiment in an attempt to follow a group of obscure Yogis, who for thousands of years have claimed the ability to live on light. Some who adhere to such practices are called “breatharians,” — someone who gains energy and sustenance strictly through air and sunshine — and Shine hopes to prove it is possible by living out the experiment.

While difficult, Shine hopes the body can be trained to live through the hardships of surviving without food.

“The only way to prove it is by doing it,” Shine said.

Shine said she is not completely sure she will be able to succeed, but intends to give the experiment a fair attempt. Throughout the experiment, she will film herself on eight cameras positioned throughout her house to ensure to herself and others she does not cheat.

“Can I do this?” Shine asked. “Will I succeed? I don’t know the answer to this because I haven’t done it yet. I only know that I shall not cheat. I want to know this as much as you do. Time will tell the rest.”

Shine called her attempt a “huge moment in history.”

According to Shine’s Facebook page, she was in her 32nd day without food Wednesday. She has lost more than 20 pounds since the experiment started, and in her most recent most post, described how her body has used up all its fat and is looking for other sources of energy.

“I have the feeling that my body has reached a point where it has used up all its stored fats and is now looking around for what next to consume,” Shine wrote. “I suspect this might be the point where it decides either to find and hook into the source where it is able to live on Light, or consume the body for sustenance. I am doing all I can thorough consciousness to open up the space for ‘Living on Light.’ We shall see.”

As many as four “Breatharians” have died while attempting to live solely on light, the website Seattleglobalist.com reported.

To view Shine’s Facebook page and daily updates, click this link
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Re: breatharian in seattle

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Thanks Joe,

With a name like 'Navenna Shine' it looks like she has already disengaged reality, she is 65, I hope she doesn't hurt herself.
A 'Breatharian preacher' Wiley Brooks came to Yelm (circa 1994), boasted about being on a TV program 'That's Incredible'.
very few knew of his secret visits to Burger King :-?
When his game was up.. he split town taking his fake book, newspaper clippings, and blonde bimbo with him... :roll:

Related:
'Navenna Shine' Living On Light An Experiment 19 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg42UXKzRO0

The Fascinating Wiley Brooks - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2yh7J4BJLE

Breatharianism - Breatharian Wiley Brooks on the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder (12-09-1981). - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rybFmE2qtaw

(EMF) View topic - a guy that did a talk on his "breatharian " lifestyle
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1983&p=15604&hilit ... ian#p15604

Ellen Greve
Breatharian FAIL. (Jasmuheen) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCuzUd4eC0
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Lost in Space

Unread post by Lost in Space »

There was a documentary I saw about a man who lived on basically water for 6 months. He did receive medical supervision and intravenous vitamins. He had weighed close to 500 lbs and this was a drastic attempt to get him to lose weight before his obesity killed him. He lost half his body weight. But if this lady is doing it on her own she is endangering herself - keytosis (when the body begins to consume itself) can produce a form of euphoria, so that she may not realize when she is close to death, she may feel blissful. I do hope friends or neighbors are checking on her frequently.
WofthesunEofthemoon

Unread post by WofthesunEofthemoon »

Well said, LiS. My concerns exactly for this lady. Very worrisome.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

I knew a Benedictine monk in New Mexico who fasted for 52 days under the supervision of his abbot. I visited with him when he was around 40 days into it...I think he did drink some watery juices...when his skin started tuning scaly 9keytotis0 the abbot told him to stop. he had a physical and recovered back to health. he later quit the religious life and had a business as a weaver and fabric designer. what interested me was that he gained no special spiritual insight or connection to "his Lord" in the end with all that fasting...sort of like the Buddha who realized, this is NOT the way to go.

The ancient Gnostics in some forms would practice the endura, which meant to starve oneself to death. This was the ultimate affirmation of belief that the physical or material creation, including the body, is a cosmic mistake. a trap formed by the demiurge or fallen false God. The Gnostic's primary goal is to reject this physical life and allow the divine spark within to merge back in to the Pleroma or Light...similar to the Vedic Atman identifying with Brahman teaching.

This lady N Shine seems to have it backwards. In Gnostic teaching the Light must retreat from this world in which it is trapped, not feed it as she would have it. Gnostics actually faced reality in that sense knowing they would die but inviting death as a victory, losing the light into the Light, not further trapping Light into the body.

Return to “Pages 1 & 2 - General Chit Chat & Social Forums”