bleep reviews

Post your comments about this movie.
joe sz

bleep reviews

Unread post by joe sz »

"Eagerly pushing a New Age agenda this is less Stephen Hawking, more Oprah Winfrey: the self-help manual for the multiplex audiences of the 21st century. It feels like an advert for a cult,..."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2005/04/14/w ... view.shtml

"Possibly the worst part of What The Bleep - which gave me the creeps - is the scary New Age lady who pontificates about Quantum Physics, Neuropsychology and God"
http://www.shoestring.org/mmi_revs/what ... 90285.html

"There are two minor problems with What the #$*!: it?s bad science and it?s a bad movie"
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/what_the__do_we_know/

"Watching ''What the Bleep,'' I kept wanting to change channels, so repetitive and stupefying is all the pseudo-mystical psycho-banality. The film treats its audience like fidgety junior-high schoolers..."
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,694179,00.html
Lost in Space

Unread post by Lost in Space »

Those reviews are hilarious...but seem to have had the opposite effect from what was intended - maybe it's a case of "gee, that reviewer doesn't like any of the movies I like, so this newly reviewed movie might be something I'd like"...
This is a quote from the website of the first link you have provided:

Opening in a single theatre in the US, the film became a word-of-mouth success and rapidly grew into a cult phenomenon taking over $11,000,000 and becoming the third-highest grossing documentary ever.

Notice the use of the term "cult phenomenon"...
In spite of agreeing with much of what was said in those scathing reviews, and;
In spite of the fact that the movie made me no more or less likely to join RSE;
Still, I found the movie interesting and entertaining. Okay, so it's bogus as fact, but as fiction, it was pretty good. :).
I own the movie on DVD.
We could call it an infomercial for RSE. I did not know that when I purchased the film. Supposedly, 60,000-70,000 people have been students of RSE over the years. I'm betting that, even if they left there dissilusioned and disgusted, they would still have wanted to see the movie. Also, some people who have posted on EMF have stated that the reason they became interested in RSE and R in the first place was that movie.
So, from the standpoint of "a business", which the "school" now purports to be, in spite of the best efforts of scheptics and negative reviewers, that film has been a smashing success.
Yes, I liked the movie...but hey, I also own "Conan the Barbarian", which one memorable review styled "a real headwound of a movie" and "a one way ticket to Heavy Metal Hell".
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

Lost,
I have the dvd too. At least I could use it as a tax write-off due to my consulting business, so it was not a completely useless investment. I have shelf full of cult related productions like that.

You bring up good points but the gist of reactions to Bleep depends on what beliefs the person brings to the film. Bleep tapped the same audience that responded well to The Tao of Physics (1975),The Mayan Factor (1987), The Celestine Prophecy (1995) with subsequent dvd, and currently, The Secret.

Tens of millions of adults in America alone (including Oprah) respond well to this kind of magical pseudo-science. Personally, I believe most people are superstitious to some degree, so that sense that psychic power is real can be tapped continually by entertainment media and prophecy books. So Bleep's success did not surprise me. The production quality was adequate for "art" theaters, not great, and for that particular audience to feel entertained.

I still get a chuckle out of the 'scary New Age lady' review.....
Leemar

True story

Unread post by Leemar »

Wednesday evening I sitting at the local beer hall and overheard a conversation between two young men and a young woman regarding the JZK movie.

It went something like this:

"You've got to see that movie it is about string theory and quantum physics. Quantum physics is what powers everything. It is a really great movie because they talk about it so everyone can understand it."

I just about puked.

I remain,

Leemar, Commander Galactic Invasion Force and Astro's best friend
Lost in Space

Leemar...LOL, lol. Well, my family is sort of the opposite way, they are mostly scientists, (including my supposedly impressionable teenage daughter) and those that I asked to watch it with me said, after about five minutes, in fact, shortly after the opening credits, "um, could we watch something else?", and Mom, for a different reason, that is, a fear of non-conventional metaphysics, said "um, could we watch something else?"...
That conversation you overheard is classic. You should have bought them a beer for the sheer comic relief.

And Joe, pssst, I know The Secret...don't tell anybody, or if you do, make them pay you a hundred bucks first. The Secret is - are you ready for this Joe - THINK POSITIVE. Yup, that's it, that's The Secret - how new, how revolutionary, novel, gee, I never thought I'd live to see such a huge revelation come accross from the outer edges of the void.

I went with a friend to see a series of speakers talk about making a gazillion bucks in your spare time, and one of the speakers we saw had appeared in The Secret, but, as far as my friend was concerned, it was not working its magnetizing magic for that speaker on that day, during her speech, (she was after several other speakers) my friend turned to me and said "She's insufferable, can we leave?". "Yup", I said.
:P :P
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

Hi All,

you have got to see this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbNJMUZSwo

It basically makes fun of 'The Secret' the way only the Aussies can, hilarious! Essentially the whole positive thinking thing is the same as r= c+e, but 'ramtha' bristled at the term positive thinking... what a joke.
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

that was a true Aussie hoot, littewiseone. Thanks.
lmao :D
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

Lost,
I did buy a copy of The Secret....it's taking up space on the same shelf as 'bleep'.

Here's a better secret:
" In framing an ideal we may assume what we wish, but should avoid impossibilities."
..................... Aristotle :wink:
Lost in Space

Joe:

I HAVE A DREAM!! Martin Luther King Jr. :D
Tyger

Unread post by Tyger »

JZ is that much of a celeb on YouTube? Fascinating....

Maybe it's time for me to whip out the trust old webcam and make some "vids" of my own for uploading. I mean, I can channel Popeye and Scooby Doo....that should be good for something.

Right?

Return to “The Movie: What The Bleep”