The Ramtha Phenomenon-Geomagnetic Data- British Library

There are those who don't believe this study was a credible work. What do you think? Why?
Caterpillar

The Ramtha Phenomenon-Geomagnetic Data- British Library

Unread post by Caterpillar »

I have purchased the following article from British Library Direct:
http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?U ... archengine

The Ramtha Phenomenon: Psychological, Phenomenological, and Geomagnetic Data

STANLEY KRIPPNER, IAN WICKRAM ASEKERA, JUDY WICKRAM ASEKERA, AND CHARLES W. WINSTEAD, III

The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research, January 1998, Volume 92; Number 1, pp. 1-24

ABSTRACT:

Seven research participants who had followed the consciousness training procedures taught by Ramtha, an allegedly discarnate entity, for five years or more, were administered a series of psychological tests. The resulting profile indicated that they were characterized by ?thin boundaries,? high absorption capabilities, and high dissociative capacities. Further, their phenomenological accounts produced consistently descriptive material. The clinical and theoretical implications of these findings suggest their potential importance for parapsychology and the study of human consciousness.

The abstract can be viewed here:

http://charleswinstead.com/the-ramtha-p ... etic-data/
This article seems to be a longer version of the article, 'Working With Ramtha: Is It A 'High Risk' Procedure?? that I posted previously that is available online:

http://www.parapsych.org/PDF/1998_PA_pr ... df#page=50

However, 'The Ramtha Phenomenon' article has the Geomagnetic Data which is not found in the 'Working With Ramtha' article.
Due to copyright laws from the British Library Direct, I am unable to post the full article, 'The Ramtha Phenomenon' as PDF.
Permission has been obtained from Stanley Krippner to reproduce parts of this article here. I will reproduce mainly the geomagnetic data.
From 'The Ramtha Phenomenon' article, under RESEARCH QUESTION AND PROCEDURE, copied from Page 5:
The research team consisted of Stanley Krippner (S.K.), Ian Wickramasekera (I.W.), and Judy Wickramasekera (J.W.). A phenomenological analysis of the elicited interviews was conducted later by Charles W. Winstead, III (C.W.). Research participants consisted of JZ Knight and six individuals living in Yelm who have studied at the Ramtha School of Enlightenment for five years or more: Brett Alt, J.O. Alt, Bodhananda, Joe Dispensa, Greg Simmons, and Audrey Wolf.
The seven research participants (five men, two women, ranging in age from 26 to 57 with a mean age of 39.5) were administered a series of psychological tests. In addition, six of the seven research participants were interviewed by S.K., who asked them to describe their experiences while going into their ?focus,? while trying to locate their card in the field, while trying to move toward the center of the tank, and while trying to ?heal? another member of the class using the ?Consciousness and Energy? (C&E) process taught to them by Ramtha.
JZ Knight was not included in this group because her experiences are chronicled in her autobiography (Knight, 1987).
Under METHODOLOGY, copied from Pages 10-11:
Geomagnetic Aspects
One line of studying ostensibly anomalous phenomena has centered around geomagnetic phenomena (e.g., Radin, McAlpine, & Cunningham, 1994). Reports of anomalous phenomena have been linked with solar flares and electrical storms, as measured by magnetometers in previous studies (e.g., Persinger & Cameron, 1986). Hence, three Macintyre Electronic Design Associates, Inc. (MEDA) handheld digital magnetometers were used for measurement purposes.
A smoothly machined high density polymer square piece was used for mounting the three magnetometers. The first magnetometer probe was taped to the polymer base in such a way that the magnetometer read very close to zero (-0.16 milligauss), that is, oriented toward an East-West direction. This probe provided the reference reading. The second magnetometer probe was taped to the polymer base such that it was 90 degrees to the first probe, providing the earth's horizontal magnetic field (oriented toward a North-South direction), After taking this reading (514 milligauss) the horizontal magnetometer reading was nullified by adjusting the nulling potentiometer. The first reading of the nullified horizontal field was 0.11 milligauss. The third magnetometer probe was mounted in the vertical direction with the end flat against the surface where the other two probe lines crossed. This magnetometer provided the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field (206 milligauss). The vertical magnetometer?s nullifying potentiometer was adjusted such that the reading was close to zero (-0.29 milligauss). The earth's magnetic field was calculated from the horizontal and vertical components to be 553.74 milligauss.

All three devices were installed in various outdoor settings near the building where the classes took place. Geomagnetic readings were taken by an associate of the authors during the entire period of time that Knight was with class members, including the time during which she was 'channeling' Ramtha.
Under RESULTS, Psychological Aspects, copied from Pages 14-15:
The inevitable question is whether Ramtha represents an 'alter personality' of JZ Knight. Whatever Ramtha may or may not be (e.g., a discarnate entity, a subpersonality, a social role taken by Knight), his appearance bears some resemblance to the phenomena observed during ?switching? in people diagnosed as having a dissociative identity disorder. As a result of the 'channeling' process, JZ Knight exhibits the 'striking gaps in awareness, memory, or identity' that characterize the domain of dissociation (Kirmayer, 1994, p. 92). According to the American Psychiatric Association (1994, p. 477), amnesia is the critical factor in the diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder, and Knight claims to be amnesic for Ramtha's appearances. However, she has access to Ramtha through a voluntarily-induced procedure, whereas the 'multiples' afflicted with dissociative identity disorder are taken unaware by their 'alters'. As a result, the possibility that Ramtha is an 'alter personality' cannot be answered definitively on the basis of the data available to us. On the other hand, a useful control would be for an accomplished actor to attempt to simulate these changes under the same conditions, using the same equipment.
Under RESULTS, Geomagnetic Aspects, on Page 17, Table 5 depicts the changes in the earth's magnetic field components as a function of time while JZ Knight was monitored for Ramtha's appearance and disappearance.
The table will not be reproduced here.
Under DISCUSSION, Geomagnetic Implications, copied from Pages 18-19:
An examination of Table 5 demonstrates the sensitivity of the magnetometers used. However, this sensitivity also provided the opportunity for artifactual data. The oncoming automobile may have affected the data even before it was observed and its presence recorded, and this vehicle could have affected the data even before it left the driveway. In addition, several of the 'peaks' seemed to be associated with the sun coming out from behind a cloud cover.
A small but undramatic increase in geomagnetic activity can be observed in Table 5 from the time of Ramtha's arrival to the time that he departed.
Did his presence cause the shift in geomagnetic activity, or did the shift in geomagnetic activity facilitate his appearance Or was the observed association a coincidence? All that can be said at this time is that the observed phenomena are provocative enough to warrant continued utilization of geomagnetic monitoring in further research. If a reliable correlation emerges, this could contribute to the search for mechanisms for Ramtha's appearance and departure. At the same time, unexpected solar activity and the unforeseen movement of an automobile demonstrate the vulnerability of these magnetometers. Therefore, no conclusions can be drawn from the geomagnetic data except that these measurements should be carefully collected in future studies, and that concomitant environmental disruptions should be accurately noted.
My thoughts:
JZ/Ramtha has mentioned that Ramtha was tested 'scientifically' as if it actually proved that Ramtha is real.
But the study does NOT prove that Ramtha is real. In the two articles, the researchers wrote that Ramtha's appearance bears some resemblance to the phenomena observed in people with a dissociative identity disorder.
JZ claims to be amnesic for Ramtha?s appearances but she has access to Ramtha voluntarily. The possibility that Ramtha is an 'alter personality' cannot be answered definitively on the basis of the data available. The researchers also mentioned that a useful control would be for an accomplished actor to attempt to simulate these changes. Carlos (Jose Alvares), the fake channeled spirit, created by James Randi that was modeled on Ramtha, passed the 'scientific' test in Australia. He could be the control.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6446539758 (Carlos, Ramtha and Mafu are featured)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zajemSFJDek (JZ/Ramtha in Australia is mentioned at 6:40; 33:47)

The study shows a 'small but undramatic increase' in geomagnetic activity when Ramtha appeared. The authors stated that no conclusions can be drawn from the geomagnetic data. But Ramtha has claimed that he is real because he caused a great increase in the earth's geomagnetic activity during the 'scientific' testing. I have also heard Ramsters talking about this massive geomagnetic activity and some of them can 'feel' Ramtha?s energy. This is an example of the 'power of suggestion' based on a LIE by JZ/Ramtha. Ramtha seems to be less powerful than the sun or movement of an automobile. He does not sound like a superbeing with any superpowers at all. Students may be better off worshipping the sun than following JZ/Ramtha.

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm

Copied from above, George Carlin, the comedian stated:
'But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay' Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer??
'There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money...?
'And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy? Hasn't said an unkind word.'
In conclusion, JZ Knight appears to be misrepresenting the 'scientific' study.
The impression JZ gives to her students from the study is NOT what the researchers have written.

The long version of the study can be purchased from British Library Direct:
http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?U ... archengine
Or the short version (without the geomagnetic data) can be viewed here:
http://www.parapsych.org/PDF/1998_PA_pr ... df#page=50
Dove

Unread post by Dove »

Hi Caterpillar

Thanks for posting this info. I feel like a complete idiot, as I bought the RSE ?Scientific Study? marketing bunk ?hook line & sinker?. It was a major reason why I joined RSE in the first place.

I particularly enjoyed the James Randi/Carlos videos ? they were hilarious! That parlor trick that channels can use to slow their pulse rate down whilst pretending to leave the body was a fascinating eye-opener - by squeezing a ping pong ball in the armpit of all things! :lol: Thanks for posting.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Some excellent research.... thank you caterpillar..
its all very enlightening....;-)

Dove posted.....
...I particularly enjoyed the James Randi/Carlos videos ' they were hilarious! That parlor trick that channels can use to slow their pulse rate down whilst pretending to leave the body was a fascinating eye-opener - by squeezing a ping pong ball in the armpit of all things! Laughing Thanks for posting.
I highly recommend watching the Carlos and James Randi video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ideo&hl=en

So how easy is it to cause a powerful Magnetic Field?
apparently....just a couple of bar magnets...!

---How to Create a Powerful Magnetic Field---
Cocktail Party Physics: Physics is fundamental
http://twistedphysics.typepad.com/cockt ... ndamental/

It all so ridiculous..
Here we have JZR agreeing to participate in "scientific tests" to prove she is not faking it, then why the dickens didn't
"Ramtha" just appear in front of the panel and be done with it?
Why...?
Because 'Ramtha" is show business folks and the show must go on..$$$$

David.
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

stage magic is about distracting people from the obvious with simple and elaborate diversions

Thanks for posting the real data from that study, Cat.
ex

Unread post by ex »

As a result, the possibility that Ramtha is an ?alter personality? cannot be answered definitively on the basis of the data available to us.
jz claimed definitly that the sientific study proofs she is not a fraud.
A small but undramatic increase in geomagnetic activity can be observed in Table 5 from the time of Ramtha?s arrival to the time that he departed.
jz claimed that the readings went off the chards when ramtha apeared.thanks for definitly proofing that jz is a lier.no wonder nobody can get the sientific study from the school.thank you for this research.[to the administrators:of course i dont wanna increase your workload but i think this definite proof should deserve a special place on the board]
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

Great idea, ex. Not a whole lot of extra work and well worth the effort ;-).

Thank you Caterpillar for bringing this very important information to light on this site.

This thread will be moved to the Highlighted Topic of the Month forum.
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles
Caterpillar

Your fridge magnet is more powerful than Ramtha

Hello everyone

I have contemplated on the results of the geomagnetic data. This is what I have come up with.
The researchers measured the magnetic field in milligauss which is one thousandth (0.001) of a gauss. From the article 'The Ramtha Phenomenon', the earth's magnetic field (from horizontal and vertical components) was calculated to be 553.74 milligauss (p. 10) or 0.55374 gauss. This is consistent with the earth's magnetic field which measures about 0.5 gauss (link below).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_(unit)
The 'small but undramatic increase in geomagnetic activity' observed upon Ramtha's arrival and departure during the study was measured in milligauss, not gauss (p. 18).
As a comparison, the average fridge magnet has a magnetic field strength of 10 gauss or 10,000 milligauss! (link below).
http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/mediacenter/f ... hemagnets/
It appears that the fridge magnet is many times stronger than Ramtha's influence on the magnetic field.
By the way, a small iron bar magnet has a magnetic field strength of about 100 gauss or 100,000 milligauss (link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_(unit)

Ex, I also remember JZ/Ramtha claiming that the readings went off the scale when Ramtha appeared.
Contrast this to the data presented in the study which is 'small but undramatic'.

In conclusion, Ramsters who worship Ramtha may wish to consider worshipping a more powerful entity, the 'humble fridge magnet'. The fridge magnet is a once-only purchase. It would be safer than the sun which may cause skin cancer and eye problems.
journeythroughramthaland

Unread post by journeythroughramthaland »

Cat,

I had spoken with both Krippner and Wickramasekera and seem to remember something about an auto on the property that caused the magnetic disturbance.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education."
-William Mizner
Dove

Unread post by Dove »

It all so ridiculous..
Here we have JZR agreeing to participate in "scientific tests" to prove she is not faking it, then why the dickens didn't
"Ramtha" just appear in front of the panel and be done with it?
Why...?
I had to comment here because David you picked up on the obvious, and it never occurred to me to even think this :oops:

Yes why didn?t Ramtha just appear, or create something out of nothing eg. a feast for the panel ? and why the hell did I not think of this obvious solution,??? After all the objective was to prove that Ramtha existed??? I was so caught up with the RSE marketing doctrine that Ramtha had been proved by science I didn?t think of the obvious.

I remember watching Ramtha (a couple of times) strutting around on the stage bragging that he had been proved by science, and berating people in the audience that still thought he was a fake. I have also witnessed Ramtha make comments like ?I can turn the moon to gold? ?I can/will bring you down? ?I can turn the water to wine? yet alas no demonstations of such magnificent feats.

Judith says in her book ?And it is not about him producing phenomena. It is not about him doing tricks in front of you; that is not what he is. Those are tools of an avatar that is still a guru that needs to be worshiped, and that is not the case with him.

I disagree. From what I have witnessed Ramtha likes to brag about what tricks he supposedly CAN do, yet doesn?t demonstrate any, and I believe (from what I have observed on numerous occasions) that Ramtha does love to be worshiped. When I think back to the adoring, screaming, crying emotional audience?s- many vying for Ramtha?s attention I shudder ? and from what I observed Ramtha appeared to be loving every minute of it, lapping it right up.

Ramtha encouraged his students to read ?Masters of the Far East? which supposedly helps students understand what he, Ramtha is. The masters (in the story, which I now know to be fictional) would manifest feasts for people in the blink of an eye, bio-locate, heal people with a touch, bring the dead back to life ? yet Ramtha only brags that he can do these things ? never have they been demonstated to my understanding.

I remember on one occasion having to wait approx 15 mins for students to run to their sleeping area?s to get their wine/food etc for an impromptu wine ceremony that Ramtha had called ??.. wouldn?t it have made much more sense for the ?master teacher? to have manifested a feast and wine for everyone, instead of having to wait 15 minutes on stage for everyone to get organized??.. yes, as you have said above David, it is all sooooooo ridiculous :roll:
Caterpillar

A different scientific study

If Ramtha is not showing up in person, then the next scientific study could be a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of JZ?s head. The focus would be on the lower cerebellum as JZ claims that Ramtha uses her lower cerebellum with his mind to activate her body. Therefore, there should be some changes in the lower cerebellum when Ramtha appears and disappears.

http://www.inlightimes.com/archives/2008/09/f2.htm

From above interview with JZ: ?Ramtha uses my lower cerebellum with his mind to activate my own body. He is not ?in? my body but rather outside it and manipulates the body using my brain, and his mind.?
Caterpillar

Compass story is questionable

Here is JZ?s story about Ramtha?s magnetic field:

Ramtha Appears to JZ in 1977

http://www.ramtha.com/html/aboutus/about-jz.stm

"My husband spent the time watching a compass that we had used to align these pyramids to true north, watching it spinning around so fast that he couldn't even see the needle any longer. And that was Ramtha's magnetic field that he was giving off, and he was ionizing the air in the kitchen because that part he could see. He couldn't see Ramtha."

A simple experiment:

From my previous post, based on the results of the geomagnetic data, a fridge magnet seems to be many times stronger than Ramtha?s influence on the magnetic field. Therefore, placing a fridge magnet or several fridge magnets near a compass should also cause the compass needle to spin around fast as per JZ's husband?s observation of Ramtha?s influence on the compass.

My non-dentist husband & I tested this hypothesis in our kitchen. Unfortunately, NONE of the fridge magnets of various sizes caused the compass needle to spin fast. All the fridge magnets tested caused a very SMALL movement in the compass needle only when placed very close to the compass (about 1 cm close).

Hence, the 'story' of Ramtha's magnetic field causing the compass needle to spin around so fast that JZ's husband could not even see the needle any longer is QUESTIONABLE!
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

I still think the best study would be a thorough psychological evaluation ;-)....
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles
Caterpillar

Lwo, a thorough psychological evaluation by psychologists such as Robert Hare who has studied psychopathy and forensic psychology may be helpful. :idea:

http://www.hare.org/welcome/bio.html

JZ hired a different team of scholars: :sad:

http://www.ramtha.com/html/aboutus/aboutus.stm

'These scientific studies took place in 1996 when a distinguished panel of twelve scholars - comprised of neuroscientists, psychologists, sociologists, and religious experts - studied JZ Knight before, during, and after channeling Ramtha.'

Return to “The so called Scientific Study on JZ Knight-Ramtha”