Website evaluating Amway as a cult

What experiences led to your opinion that RSE is, or isn't, a cult ? Address issues; no flaming tolerated.
Wakeup-Call

Website evaluating Amway as a cult

Unread post by Wakeup-Call »

http://www.cocs.com/jhoagland/amcult.html#critical

This is interesting. They take the characteristics of a cult (from a book) and evaluate each briefly against Amway.

One interesting quote was that everyone is susceptible.

For me, this was an interesting and helpful read to step back and look at the cult qualities in something other than RSE.
California Dreamin'

Unread post by California Dreamin' »

Leave it to me to be the victim of a Ponzi scheme whilst I was an Amway distributor (in addition to Omega and Destiny). Do I have "sucker" stamped on my foreheard? :oops:
California Dreamin'

Unread post by California Dreamin' »

P.S. I should add that it was my Amway sponsor that deceived me and others for some pretty big bucks.
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

Cali - don't bash yourself over it. So many people have been taken in by that scheme. Have you ever seen a video of their meetings? I remember so very many years ago, when my one sister, who sadly passed last year, was very excited over just becoming an Amway distributor. She was excitedly showing both my mom and me the products. I knew even then it was a cultish, and I remember telling my sister, "you would make the perfect nazi." Okay, this hurts now to reiterate that, since I cannot take it back, and I know she's forgiven me for hurting her. The point is, the "crowd" mentality so easy to impose on so many people. It's important to always take a step back and look at things objectively, and never suspend our critical thinking skills, not even "for just these few days." My sister didn't stay in it. She was a complete innocent in so many ways. Instead, she became involved in helping other people, and even saved a child's life at her local swimming pool by diving in when his mom didn't notice he was having problems. RSE "took" me by surprise, at how easily one can lose their objectivity when asked, "just keep an open mind for these days." One can maintain an open mind while at the same time not going "comfortably numb."
:roll: :roll: :roll:
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

G2G One can maintain an open mind while at the same time not going "comfortably numb."
Wow, excellent description.

CD, I have to agree...Amway is SO pervasive and so SLICK in their presentation. I heard about a year ago that they have programs now, where they don't mention the word "Amway" at ALL. They know exactly what they are doing. Shame on them.

There are all sorts of companies like Tupperware, Avon, etc, who market in a similar way (buying from distributors), crafts, clothing, etc. They can do that without being cultish...but Amway doesn't. They've been accused of that for a while. If the shoe fits....
littlewiseone

Unread post by littlewiseone »

G2G wrote:One can maintain an open mind while at the same time not going "comfortably numb."
This is a great quote!!
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

- The Beatles
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

G2G, quick, copyright it !!!!! LOL
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

I have to credit "Pink Floyd" for the "comfortably numb" part. It just seemed to "pop" out at that moment. So jzrk might have a bit of a battle on her hand if she tries to add that to her "arsenal of 'copyrighted' everyday common words! On that 'note,' has "the big guy" ever discussed what is on the 'dark side of the moon?' ...lol
8) 8) 8)
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
Wakeup-Call

To be fair to Amway, and also in contrast to Ms. JZ Knight....

In response to criticism, Amway leadership has been addressing the complaints. On the Amway blog, they discussed the problems they were having getting approval to do business in the UK. They have worked with distributors on some of these practices and improved their direct selling model.

Unlike JZ, who sends out her peeps like Steve Klein and Blue Body to attack the people criticizing and obfuscate the issues. In their story, RSE and JZ have never ever ever ever done anything remotely unimpeccable.
Optimystic

Unread post by Optimystic »

Amway now has television advertisements! They state that they distribute the highest quality cosmetics, etc. The name "Quixar" appears on the screen.

I've seen this advertisements 2 times in 2 days. I had no idea Amway was into cosmetics. I'll have to check the labels on my products.

Has anyone else seen these TV ads?
"I was Blind but NOW I see. I was DEAF but NOW I Hear!"
tree

Unread post by tree »

yes, I have
I find the timing quite odd
Wakeup-Call

They're going through some re-branding... Quixtar was basically the name they used to build up their online and global business. Alticorp was the parent company name. Now they are going back to the Amway name across the board for their branding. For example, Quixtar is now Amway Global. When branding changes, it does take a little time to get it setup to carry through all venues the corporate uses.

Just pointing out that they are actually getting back to the Amway name, not running away from it.

My point was really to provide an example of how so many things can take on cult-like attributes. And also that there are mature ways to handle criticism that JZ Knight hasn't shown any interest in demonstrating yet.

Return to “Is RSE a cult ? What is RSE? Its purpose? Post your opinion.”