More and More from Steve Klein

This forum will list the news articles relative to the topic of RSE, directly or indirectly.
tree

More and More from Steve Klein

Unread post by tree »

LOCAL NEWSPAPER CONTINUES EMPHASIS ON COMMUNITY DIVISIVENESS

Nisqually Valley News publisher/editor Graves says that my words printed in his newspaper last Friday to fellow Yelm Chamber members were "not-so-thinly-veiled threats to personalize local businesses". The title of his editorial was "Debate is good, threats aren't." A published front-page headline read "RSE officials lash out at interview"

Mr. Graves,
There was no threat of any kind mentioned; rather a clear and concise request to bring out into the open those Yelm Chamber members that are represented by Mr. Cunningham's malevolent story in your newspaper and would prefer to not have RSE students' business. You misinterpret through your own veiled view and don't even call to ask or investigate the context of my letter. Let's get this issue out in the open once and for all, Mr. Graves and find out who does not want our dollars, for this kind of intolerance and downright bigotry has been expressed here by local officials for far too long; views you demonstrate to uphold.

You say "debate is good", yet at every turn you squelch any such forum.
You condemn any views not in alignment with your own and attempt character assassination with slanderous comments; a true, modern-day, town-square stoning.
Your bias in your journalism has been evident for years.
Do I expect that to change. No.
Do I hope that changes. YES!

Ever since I went public in Fall, 2005 with the fact that you would not print the news that then-Mayoral candidate Harding declined to participate in your NVN sponsored Town Hall, you have attempted to deride me personally. Was that what a newspaper should do -- an editor agreeing to withhold information from the voters and their readers? Fine, a public person running for or in-office should be prepared to take such hits. However, I am not a candidate for any public office now and have previously announced (and printed in your newspaper) I am not a candidate for any public office in 2009. To make note of and publish my patronage of Safeway & Starbucks is indicative of just how personal and low you go. You practice the fine art of prejudicial reporting seemingly right out of Karl Rove's Playbook.

Do I buy flowers at Yelm Safeway and coffee at Starbuck's? Absolutely!
And I have been a good customer of Yelm Floral for almost 2 decades, Blue Bottle Espresso & Liquid Soul Cafe, as their owners will attest. And, featured stories about all of them on this blog!
Yet, you failed to note I have never set foot in Yelm's Wal-Mart.

What about your local spending?

You can belittle all you want, yet you have done little to balance your prejudicial reporting with the contributions my wife and I have made to this community totaling over $110,000 in the last 10 years, distributed to such local organizations as the:
- Yelm Timberland Library
- Yelm Prairie Arts Assn.
- Drew Harvey Theater
- UCBO Thanksgiving Day food drive
- Children's School of Excellence student Scholarships and a new computer lab donation
- Yelm Dollar's for Scholars annual Scholarships to Yelm & Rainier High School students
- Yelm's Pennies for Pupils
- annual gift to the Yelm Tree Fund
- Friends of the Yelm Library
- Yelm City Park flag memorial
- and turkeys for EVERY needy family on UCBO's list for Christmas, 2007, the largest holiday turkey donation in Yelm history.
These are but a few, in addition to smaller donations for worthy causes all over town.

in addition to serving on the:
- Yelm Library Advisory Board
- Yelm Prairie Arts Assn. Board
- Yelm Historical Preservation Board

Name a few of your contributions you and your family have given since moving to this town?
How much did your newspaper donate to local causes the last 10 years?

You requested your readers go to Safeway, Wal-Mart and others and ask them to place their advertising inserts with the NVN, rather than their choice to bypass your newspaper and advertise via a direct mailing. Why?

Condemning others that have differing views is your modus-operandi.
I am saddened to continue to witness the divisiveness that this newspaper spews forth to area readers week after week. NVN readers are the beneficiary of a lack of thorough reporting on a whole host of issues with bias in not delivering balanced coverage. Our community therefore is robbed by the misuse of the leadership position you have as the only print media in this town.

Where is this newspaper in reporting truly newsworthy issues?
As just one example, I saw no NVN reporter present in the courtroom last week when the City of Yelm was defendant in a case taken out of Yelm's jurisdiction by JZ Knight and into Thurston County Superior Court. Don't you and your readers think that was an important case? After all, it centers on what the City of Yelm purports is the ability of the city to provide water for new developments. And, the city came out of that court room with several embarrassments by their attorneys.

Are you going to condemn those who run for local public office in 2009 that have differing views?
Many that would be willing to serve the public do not step forward because they do not want to be subjected to such tactics.
If that happens, the voters of Yelm will be stuck with only the incumbents and have no choice on the ballot for City Council openings in 2009, as happened in 2007. That would be a shame. For instance, will any mayoral candidate come forward to oppose Ron Harding next year and give voters a choice for mayor?
So few people are involved in city government now yet you continue to berate those that speak-up to question city policies. Look what happened because the public was not involved in their government; Thurston County was caught off-guard when the Commissioners announced they did not have their eye on the ball, leaving the county with a multi-million dollar deficit and having to cutback services.

The Constitution of the United States or what's left of it demands dissent by the public. You and city officials want it squelched at every turn.

Hopefully, the Karl Rove playbook days are soon coming to an end in Washington, D. C. One can only hope those days will end in Yelm soon, too!

As I wrote in my letter you published on October 3rd,
"This town can continue to be polarized based on intolerances of a certain individual or group in judging others' views or we can see this as an opportunity to put all of these type of distractions aside and join arm in arm to confront the many challenges we have as neighbors in the Nisqually Valley;
from water,
to traffic,
funding for a Bypass,
a new Library,
Schools bursting at the seams,
city budget issues,
a county deficit where services are to be cut,
home foreclosures,
neighboring Roy going broke
and a looming recession where we have sadly witnessed several venerable Yelm businesses having closed and others are on the edge.

United we stand, divided we fall.
The choice is in our hands.... "
tree

comments from Steve's Yelm.org

Unread post by tree »

JS Handlan said:
I agree 100%; it is far past time for the local news to give the people of this community a real picture of what is happening in city gov't. Instead of creating more of a smoke screen to distract them from becoming involved in their own city, and the events that will affect it in the future.

October 5, 2008 3:11 AM
Liz said:
Yes, we all agree, it?s wrong to blacklist and ignore those who question city officials. As for the NVN, it has always been known for its very small town views and publications, conveniently forgetting the important issues in the town or government. The NVN is not worth the paper it?s written on, much less the money spent to read it. NVN role in Yelm could have and should have been an important and respected factor in city government in relation to their accountability and actions. Instead NVN?s role and advocacy is for a mayor and council that has jeopardized this community and way of life. When all is said and done, I pity those who stand behind the mayor and council, their black sheep days may be sooner than they think. Government issues are of great importance to all of us, as well as what city government is doing or not doing. We have no freedom of speech here in Yelm, it?s attacked, blacklisted or ignored. I recently read the minutes from the Council?s meeting, which is a total waste of time. They are so very careful not to say or write anything of importance in relation to decisions or reports by the Mayor and Council and what may be affecting the city. By the way, where is the pay chart for Yelm officials? I can easily find it for others in government, but cannot find it anywhere on Yelm website. Perhaps I have overlooked it? Not hardly. Where the actual reports that are referred to in the minutes? Why are these reports not attached to the minutes or placed in the minutes for the public to read and digest? Perhaps we need to put in a public disclosure request to the City of Yelm monthly and post them ourselves? We certainly aren?t getting the information. Why waste time on minutes posted that say nothing? It is a waste of time, city resources, and tax payer?s dollars to say the least! We do not have a government here in Yelm for the people, by the people. The mayor and city council, by their actions to the public, DO NOT want citizen involvement. Mail letters to WA, our Legislature, Civil Liberties Union, the local newspapers (not NVN, its obvious they wouldn?t publish it) anyone that will listen to what is happening in this community. As for JZ Knight, she is fine when she is giving dollars and contributing to Yelm, but otherwise, she is simply a black mark on the community. I don?t blame her at all if she decides to discontinue contributing to Yelm. I think she should.

October 5, 2008 6:48 AM
Steve said:
I have often had the same thought about the Minutes, Liz - that the reports are not attached or accessible unless you happen to have stored the link when the report was active, which I do on matters of interest.

Have you also noticed that the same is true for the NVN since they went to a new web format -- stories older than 3 weeks are inaccessible unless you happen to have archived the link. Plus, Mr. Graves editorials and Letters to the Editor are no longer placed on the NVN website. HMMM!

October 5, 2008 5:33 PM
Karla Broschinski said:
Hi Steve,
this is my letter to the NVN, you are welcome to post it on your blog,
Thanks,
Karla

October 4th, 2008

Dear Editor,

Over the years, and especially these last few months, the Nisqually Valley News has prominently exhibited a pattern of publishing specific subject matter that compromises your position as an independent newspaper.

Nowadays, it is clear to your readership that the NVN?s unspoken front page publishing policy is clear: Just find something skeptical and damnatory about JZ Knight or RSE. No matter how erroneous the information is, the NVN readily promotes this negative campaign.

You might as well state openly that you publish the following without hesitation or fact-checking:
1) Letters of complaint about JZ Knight or RSE on any level about anything. If the word ?county? can be used, it sounds more official.
2) Emotional tirades of personal memory up to 25 years. If you can whine and combine that no one from RSE has made you happy, healed you, or made you rich, with Glen Cunningham?s opinion, in addition to front page coverage you can also have a video clip up to 90 minutes placed on the NVN website.
3) Everything is free of charge and the paper is not responsible for securing proof of your claims. The more sensational, the more our paper sells, so exaggerate and manipulate details as you wish.
4) Letters about miraculous healings, inspiring stories, or any report of JZ Knight or RSE?s positive impact on people and the world will not be published without certified medical or legal reports.

Editor, be advised that you are vilifying a woman and an organization who have contributed to the growth, fortune, and betterment of the Yelm community. You are defaming innocent families and discrediting their names and lives by publicizing rotten defamatory lies. You are fueling religious bigotry and dividing our community. This irresponsible use of influence is a professional abuse of immense proportion.

As a local business owner, I also have to express my deep concern about Glen Cunningham?s public statements. The Chamber of Commerce is supposed to be an unbiased body of representatives for every business in this community. How can a President of such an organization publicize his personal opinion and pretend that this doesn?t influence the Chamber of Commerce views and support?

Although your paper serves a small town, citizens who live here expect more than small-minded subjective reporting.

Karla Broschinski

October 6, 2008 4:23 PM
Gail said:
Is it possible to get a brief update from the lawyer when there is news on the RSE water-rights lawsuit? This is an issue of importance, not just to RSE, but to all of Yelm and Thurston County residents. The City and Counbty are in an embarrassing predicament, and therefore their rhetoric has increased as reported in the NVN. For RSE to abide by Yelm's "closed door session" secrecy on legal matters does not seem in the best interests of truth and honesty in reporting for all concerned.

October 7, 2008 1:32 AM
Liz said:
The Yelm community has been subject to the mayor?s and city council?s lack of respect and regard in relation to sharing information to the public as well as wanting their involvement. And yes, I believe it will continue. We all have an interest in the lawsuit and its outcome, and I like everyone else would like to know the process and the outcome. I believe this has gone beyond patience and the expectations of an elected official and the council. We need to write to others outside the Yelm community to make them aware of how Yelm is operated and controlled by the mayor and council. I believe even the mayor and council will need to respond and be in compliance in relation to request of public disclosures and will have to answer questions if asked by higher authorities. With enough letters to various parties in authority within the state, I am sure we will get the attention needed to make this newsworthy (and I don?t mean the NVN). I strongly suspect Ron Harding was ?placed? in his position by the already established persons in the community who did not want new blood or an independent thinker in the role as mayor. Why else would someone with no political experience and his background be elected as mayor?? I, for one, will continue to write and email as many as possible with higher authority inside and outside the State of WA and hope you all do the same.

October 7, 2008 3:28 AM
Tom Dewell said:
I refer here not to the letters to the NVN Editor mentioned above, but to the RSE ad which ran in the same issue.
I was both shocked and disappointed that the RSE had turned inappropriate remarks by Glenn Cunningham into a frontal assault on Yelm businesses in general. I especially found the proposed sign to be totally inappropriate, if not offensive to those businesses.
Yes, Glen?s ?Kool-Aid? remarks were inappropriate and insulting, but insinuating that he was equating the RSE to the Jim Jones People?s Temple, who murdered themselves in 1978, is patently absurd.

The ad insinuates that Yelm businesses will somehow be influenced by Glen using his new post as a bully pulpit to turn them against us.
Did the writers of the ad take the time to research how Glen presented himself in his bid for Chamber President, how many Yelm business owners actually took part in the voting and the % who actually voted for him? I suspect not. The ballot that I cast my vote on mentioned nothing about campaigning as President to rid the community of the RSE and its student-customers. And judging by the average attendance at the Chamber Forums compared to the total Chamber members, the total number of votes cast for him was not representative of the Yelm business community in general.
To create a sign that would represent the poster as a bigot, I find completely at odds with the principles of conduct I have learned at the RSE, demeaning to the Yelm business community and insulting to the Chamber of Commerce. This was an emotional knee-jerk reaction to something that I suspect the majority of business owners were barely aware of; until the ad came out.
Educating the community as to the things that the RSE has done for the betterment of the community is commendable. But the ad should have stopped there.
I fear this ad has done more to alienate the community from the RSE and is an example of creating the divisiveness that this blog's author has been fighting against for years.

October 7, 2008 3:54 AM
Elaine Boothby said:
In Regard to Tom's statement about Glenn's "Kool Aid" comment in the NVN: Come on! Of course the "Kool-Aid" comment was referencing the Jim Jones People's Temple. What else? I doubt he would even deny it himself. Even kids know what that reference means. Can you please tell me what you think he was talking about? Maybe he just thinks that all RSE student are very thirsty.

October 8, 2008 6:39 PM
Tom Dewell said:
Since Glen has been around here for over 17 years he knows that the RSE is not a suicide cult. I would suggest his reference to Kool-Aid was more figurative meaning that the RSE students will "swallow" anything and that would be the only allusion to the Jonestown incident, which used Flavoraide, not Kool-Aid by the way.

October 9, 2008 1:47 AM
Steve said:
[Ed. Note: This Letter was not published in the Oct. 10th NVN and is provided here by the author as a courtesy to the Yelm Community Blog.]

To the NVN Editor;

Many of the Baby Boomers and their parents before them, grew up thinking that newspapers were unbiased, presenting journalistic investigation on both sides of the issues.

For many of us, those rose colored glasses came off as big corporations gobbled up the media, subtly influencing and
then controlling the presentation of news and facts to suit the beliefs of the owner(s) or stockholders so that the "truth" of any one topic has been altered to affect
and/or sway the public sentiment or perception.

The same can be said of the Nisqually Valley News, now under the direction of Lafromboise Communications, Inc.

Current Yelm Councilman Don Miller spent 42 years as the editor and publisher of the Nisqually Valley News.

Shortly after Yelm became a city, an ordinance was
passed making the Nisqually Valley News "the official newspaper of Yelm City Hall." That little statement goes a long way in explaining why certain stories get special coverage in our "home town" paper, and certain
stories do not, but do your readers know that?

In my limited encounters with Kevin Graves, Manager
of the NVN, I have found him to be a most pleasant
fellow, but he has superiors to whom he must answer, and a newspaper to sell. And nothing sells as much as sensationalism, as recent headlines testify.

Glen Cunningham's vicious remarks concerning another
Chamber of Commerce member make him temperamentally
unsuitable to represent the chamber businesses at large.

His brand of "leadership" is to divide by sowing fear and mistrust, not by reaching out with an open hand of tolerance and
understanding as befits a true leader, certainly not where his former employer, JZ Knight, or RSE and its students is concerned.

Perhaps he feels that this public disavowal of his 11 years with Ramtha is the stepping stone for his next political ambition.
What office could he possibly hold while exhibiting such hatred and spewing such embittered gall?

With respect to these recent headlines, exception is taken to
Mr. Graves' recent editorial: "Debate is good; threats aren't"
wherein he objects to "threats" allegedly made by James Flick and/or Steve Klein.

"Threats are illogical, and payment is usually costly" so said a wise and skilled diplomat on human affairs.

Perhaps the readers of the NVN would be better served by some real investigative reporting showing the factual side of the story, wherein a Washington superior court judge ruled 15 years ago that RSE is not a "cult" but a school",
as one of your readers graciously pointed out in her recent letter.

How about a story covering the plethora of scientists from so many different fields who came 10 years ago to test JZ Knight
and found that she "is not a fraud" as your reader from Australia pointed out in her letter last week.

So if you're going to cover stories from 17 or 18 years ago of an immature, angst-ridden man who was allegedly fired
because he abused the power of his position, then the topics suggested/requested for coverage are downright current events by comparison.

How about promoting some of the decent, kind human
beings who not only attend RSE's classes, but who live here, have businesses here, and contribute their talents and love to the future of this exceptionally beautiful place and all of its diverse community?

Come on, NVN! Change is not that difficult. And you might be very pleased to discover a vast, untapped new subscription
readership waiting in the wings all along.

What say you, neighbor?

Victoria

October 9, 2008 4:52 AM
Liz said:
Many folks who aren?t associated with the RSE in the Yelm community are guilty of "swallowing" as well. The United States is in a recession and crisis due to swallowing without question and going along with the decisions that have been made for us and affecting all of us. It's those who "swallow" without question that is disturbing. I will continue to question and have a voice relating to the decisions or any actions that affect me, my family, my rights and well-being, as a United State?s citizen.

Flavoraide, Kool-Aid? Is that really an issue? Come on, be real.

I am not a student, former student or would be student, but believe everyone should be treated with respect and dignity. Mr.Dewell, I'm sure you expect to be treated with respect and dignity, why shouldn't others in this community expect the same?

October 9, 2008 6:17 AM
Liz said:
passed making the Nisqually Valley News "the official newspaper of Yelm City Hall." That little statement goes a long way in explaining why certain stories get special coverage in our "home town" paper, and certain

Thank you, I didn't, but now I do. So the City can influence or control what it wants the public to know or not know. Freedom of speech AND censorship violations comes to mind.

There are "power of superiors' in Yelm, it?s very evident relating to those who have to work or answer to the Mayor. I often wonder if they?ll be like the AIG executives and blame each other? Any superior, whatever position they are in, who misused their power for controlling, influencing , hiding or withholding information, is bias, dishonest, and/or has a conflict of interest and/or using his position of authority for personal issues, personal gain, obtain personal information not related to city government is wrong and against the interests of the public, and needs to investigated immediately. You know who you are. It?s the duty of those who witness this of behavior to speaks out and report these actions to the appropriate outside higher authorities or that person is just as guilty by association and non-disclosure.

The executive authority and power of the AIG is answering for their lack of accountability, personal gain and greed. They deserve to be in the spotlight, now sweating and fumbling about pointing fingers while investigated. A perfect example of lack of accountability, credibility, greed, personal interests and gain, thus affecting the many. I?m hopeful this federal investigation put them all in prison, taking their millions in bonus money, million dollar salaries, plan partner and executive plan millions into a Foundation for those who have paid dearly for their executive positions and misuse of power.

Has anyone else ever express interest in starting a new newspaper here in the Yelm area? I am not sure a newspaper such as the NVN can handle or is able to address the important issues in the world and the Yelm community. At the present time, we need to buy at least two papers. An outside paper in Olympia or Tacoma AND the NVN in order to get the town and local information. If the NVN is not going to advance forward or report in an unbiased fashion, another newspaper may be the answer. I certainly would subscribe to a paper that would have a broader view.

October 9, 2008 8:48 AM
Steve said:
2 points:

1.A Roy Johnson wrote the NVN last week and said,
"I don't know about the rest of the population in our fine little village of Yelm, but if Knight/Ramtha devotees such as (former Yelm mayor candidate)
Steve Klein and (legislative candidate) JeanMarie Christenson expect my support, they have a long wait coming.

Am I really to believe that these politicians have the common sense and brains to lead our community when they got suckered into believing
this Ramtha story is true?"

So if people in the community think judgment and condemnation by association with Ramtha is inferred, then Cunningham's views, interactions and associations with others cannot be overlooked
as without influence, either. His views about RSE cannot be separated from his role as President-elect of the Yelm Chamber of Commerce.

2. If Glen Cunningham IS the President-elect of the Yelm Chamber of commerce, then isn't he condemning
not only one of his patron member (RSE), yet also all of the RSE student businesses who are also Chamber members (like this blog)when he is quoted in the NVN saying, "..he warns people how it is so they ?don?t waste their money?" (meaning by going to RSE).

You can't have it both ways!

October 9, 2008 2:39 PM
Cordula Herzog-Hall said:
A Letter to the NVN Editor not published:

Dear Editor and Readers,

You probably don't know it, but all over the world Yelm has a reputation of being a spiritual center. I was born in Germany and raised in Brazil. I was a Christian healer in earlier times, until I found I needed healing myself. I came to Yelm to become a student of Ramtha, the Master Teacher of unconditional love. During my first decade as a student, I healed all my emotional problems and I married a wonderful American. In early 2007 I fell victim to severe ulcerative colitis, and again Ramtha and The School came to my assistance. By October of the same year I was completely healed.
It is difficult for me to hear and bear criticism and insults against The School that has done so much to guide me to a path of joy and love. I would suggest that those who are uninformed or misinformed about The School to read Ramtha's "Jesus The Christ - The Life of a Master".
I look forward to the day when all citizens of Yelm are proud of their city, not only as a "military town" but as a unified and great spiritual center. Until then, I suppose I must console myself with the words of Jesus Christ: "Forgive them, for they know not what they do".

Thank God for JZ Knight, who has the wisdom and strength to endure all of these negative attacks and yet prevails with the Great Work.

Cordula Herzog-Hall
Yelm

October 12, 2008 7:41 PM
Steve said:
This letter to the NVN Editor was not published:

To the NVN Editor;

Many of the Baby Boomers and their parents before them, grew up thinking that newspapers were unbiased, presenting journalistic investigation on both sides of the issues.

For many of us, those rose colored glasses came off as big corporations gobbled up the media, subtly influencing and
then controlling the presentation of news and facts to suit the beliefs of the owner(s) or stockholders so that the "truth" of any one topic has been altered to affect
and/or sway the public sentiment or perception.

The same can be said of the Nisqually Valley News, now under the direction of Lafromboise Communications, Inc.

Current Yelm Councilman Don Miller spent 42 years as the editor and publisher of the Nisqually Valley News.

In my limited encounters with Kevin Graves, Manager
of the NVN, I have found him to be a most pleasant
fellow, but he has superiors to whom he must answer, and a newspaper to sell. And nothing sells as much as sensationalism, as recent headlines testify.

Glen Cunningham's vicious remarks concerning another
Chamber of Commerce member make him temperamentally
unsuitable to represent the chamber businesses at large.

His brand of "leadership" is to divide by sowing fear and mistrust, not by reaching out with an open hand of tolerance and
understanding as befits a true leader, certainly not where his former employer, JZ Knight, or RSE and its students is concerned.

Perhaps he feels that this public disavowal of his 11 years with Ramtha is the stepping stone for his next political ambition.
What office could he possibly hold while exhibiting such hatred and spewing such embittered gall?

With respect to these recent headlines, exception is taken to
Mr. Graves' recent editorial: "Debate is good; threats aren't"
wherein he objects to "threats" allegedly made by James Flick and/or Steve Klein.

"Threats are illogical, and payment is usually costly" so said a wise and skilled diplomat on human affairs.

Perhaps the readers of the NVN would be better served by some real investigative reporting showing the factual side of the story, wherein a Washington superior court judge ruled 15 years ago that RSE is not a "cult" but a school",
as one of your readers graciously pointed out in her recent letter.

How about a story covering the plethora of scientists from so many different fields who came 10 years ago to test JZ Knight
and found that she "is not a fraud" as your reader from Australia pointed out in her letter last week.

So if you're going to cover stories from 17 or 18 years ago of an immature, angst-ridden man who was allegedly fired
because he abused the power of his position, then the topics suggested/requested for coverage are downright current events by comparison.

How about promoting some of the decent, kind human
beings who not only attend RSE's classes, but who live here, have businesses here, and contribute their talents and love to the future of this exceptionally beautiful place and all of its diverse community?

Come on, NVN! Change is not that difficult. And you might be very pleased to discover a vast, untapped new subscription
readership waiting in the wings all along.

What say you, neighbor?

Victoria

October 13, 2008 3:34 AM
Steve said:
[Ed. Note: This Letter was not published in the Oct. 10th NVN and is provided here by the author as a courtesy to the Yelm Community Blog.]

To the NVN Editor;

I am writing regarding your articles that have been front page for the last few weeks. Using words such as ?feud continues? or ?officials lash out? ? none of which were exactly factual ? I find that to be sensationalized journalism. As a newspaper, facts are supposed to be presented, not inflammatory opinions. JZ Knight and the Ramtha School of Enlightenment have been here a long time. JZ Knight has done nothing to harm this community ? in fact has contributed greatly.

I question why you would even consider putting the whole Cunningham/McCarthy opinion on the front page. Besides the fact of it not being newsworthy or factual, why would something 17 years old be on the front page? The truth is RSE has been here for 20 years and no one has harmed this community. Again, they have contributed to it and continue to do so.

I was specifically disheartened this last week by your comments, Mr. Graves. To insinuate that individuals are threatening businesses is a misnomer. No one is threatening anything. People are simply stating a fact, the fact being if there is that much prejudice and dislike for a certain segment of people, then please be honest. If you don?t want us shopping and spending our money here because we happen to believe in something you don?t believe or understand, no problem. Just let us know and we can go elsewhere.

With all the alleged accusations against JZ Knight, why wasn?t the headline ?Water systems demands dismissed? at the top? Why not headline about the Yelm students? accomplishments or what the residents at Rosemont or East Haven are doing? Why not list the sex offenders registered in Yelm? Something that might make a difference to the community.

I think 20 years is long enough of bad-mouthing and finger- pointing and prejudicial treatment just because someone believes differently. This type of prejudice needs to stop now.

Diane D?Acuti
Yelm

October 14, 2008 4:03 AM
Steve said:

To the NVN Editor;

Dear Editor,

I personally appreciate the coverage that you gave to RSE in response to the article in which Glen Cunningham made inflammatory remarks about JZ Knignt and RSE. Publishing the community outrage was good & fair reporting. Although grateful for that, I must comment on your editorial "Debate is good, threats aren't". You absolutely have the right to your opinion, but I am sincerely asking if you might reconsider some of your statements and consider that some of these opinions, at least semantically, might be flawed? First of all, you state that Flick's and Klein's statements "smack of schoolyard bullying". I must strongly disagree. Boycotting, or the discussion of possible boycotting, is not bullying. Boycotting is an age old, and very American form of passive resistance to everything from Government tyranny, to simple taste or preference. Heck, my Mom used to boycott a product if their TV commercial was particularly annoying. When people boycott, for example, a large box store-the people who boycott this store are not bullies- they are taking a passive stand against what they believe is wrong with the basic business (not spiritual) philosophies and actions of that company. My elderly neighbor works at a store like this and is a sweetheart of a man, and the reason that some people boycott his place of work is not his fault. But I have heard that as a result of these boycotts some positive changes have been made in the way that stores of this kind treat, and compensate their employees.

As another example: I lived in the State of Arizona for over 20 years. In the late eighties Arizona Governor Evan Mecham became widely known for statements and actions that were perceived as insensitive to minorities (to put it mildly). One of these actions was that in 1987, Gov. Mecham rescinded Arizona's Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. In reaction to this event and because of statements from Governor Mecham, a boycott of Arizona was organized NATION WIDE. At the time I was a working waitress going to school and I can tell you that the damage to the Arizona's tourism industry, and the cancellation of multiple conventions really hurt me and my co-workers. My income was cut in half or more. Myself, my co-workers, and countless other tourism industry workers across Arizona were angry yes, but not at the other States boycotting us. No, we were angry with Governor Mecham. We were ashamed of him and his actions. He was our State leader. He represented us. We elected him and in that we held some responsibility. Mr. Cunningham is the President Pro Tem of our Yelm City Chamber of Commerce. Don't the local business owners hold some responsibility for their chosen leaders, especially- and I will say that again-especially in regard to public statements he makes specifically about another local business? I would feel this same way if Mr. Cunningham's remarks had been about a Christian business. Therefore your statement about using "the weight of RSE to threaten the livelihoods of innocent business owners" does not seem accurate to me. Business owners hold power of their own and the Chamber of Commerce members have the right to choose, or un-choose, their leaders and representatives. None of us are "innocent" if we don't speak out against prejudice. History should have taught us that by now.

I proudly work at RSE. Unfortunately, Mr. Cunningham's outright call to "not waste your money" threatens my livelihood. Whether or not he "particularly" wanted to see an article about his statements in the local paper, makes no difference. He made the statements and should take responsibility for them. It was completely fair for RSE to ask if other businesses in our community felt the same way as Mr. Cunningham. How is RSE or its' students to know? It seems entirely plausible that other business owners might agree with Mr. Cunningham, considering his position in the community. It seems understandable that RSE students might not want to shop at businesses that feel as Mr. Cunningham does. You are right that Steve Klein has always promoted that people should shop locally, without prejudice, and I know it has brought profitable results for our town and local business owners. Steve Klein's efforts (and results) are obviously not appreciated by the chosen leader of our business community. This is exactly why Mr. Cunningham's statements were so very offensive and disturbing. To put it simply, it felt like a knife in the back. So I would ask, who's the real bully here?

Elaine Boothby-Ptolemy
Yelm, WA

October 14, 2008 4:18 AM
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

Perhaps they really are blind to it, I can't decide. However, those who are writing in and whining about Glen being a bully, and citing why he can't possibly do a good job, etc, APPEAR to be blind to their own contradictions.

As I recall, it was Jean Christenson who had to backpeddle when she made a comment (the details are previously posted) about wanting her position politically to help protect the ranch. When she got called out about that, fellow Ramsters came to her defense and supported her.

Now, they use that same thought process AGAINST Glen !

Unbelievable.

The strong innuendo that Glen should shut up because he's been "out" too long...what's that about ? They said the same thing about David; that he'd been out for some number of years, so he really didn't know what the school is like NOW.

Well, news flash here ! There are no secrets in Yelm. The fact of the matter is that people DO know what the school is like NOW. People have been posting on EMF that have left the school far more recently than the timeframe of David or Glen's tenure there. The comments from those people are not MORE complimentary about RSE as a model of Enlightened behavior, actions or abilities.

No, no. What we've heard about is physical, emotional, psychological and mental abuse; threats; sexually explicit talk in front of entire audiences which include youth of all ages; swearing for hours on end, threats to students, etc.

This is the Enlightenment that RSE has to offer CURRENTLY and in the not too distant past ? Yes, it is.

Steve Klein is also guilty of refusing to post email letters to his BLOG by detractors and critics of his own writing; having "caught him" in a pickle or two. He has, despite his claims to post all comments to his blog, CENSORED it. Tsk, tsk. Not the honesty of a master !
That person that was censored has talked about it on EMF, too.

Oh, what a tangled web they weave....
tree

Unread post by tree »

Steve Klein is also guilty of refusing to post email letters to his BLOG by detractors and critics of his own writing; having "caught him" in a pickle or two. He has, despite his claims to post all comments to his blog, CENSORED it.
yes...
I responded quite succinctly to a few posters comments ( "what say you , neighbor?" by Victoria. I quoted that and said:
that sounds like Ramtha-ese. Also I responded to Elaine Boothby's post who sais she was afraid of losing her job
at RSE if the townie's don't like Ramsters shopping there. I replied: that is just fear on a basic level.)
Steve has deleted ALL the posts.
Including my response to someone who asked what the result was about the water issue tha JZ brought against
Tahoma Terrs. I just responded with the facts.
Now conveniently, they are all gone.
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

One just has to wonder, why is Steve Klein 'manifesting' this stuff?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
tree

Unread post by tree »

This guy just DOES NOT get it. Wow.
http://www.yelmcommunity.org/

October 28, 2008

To Mayor Harding & the Yelm City Council;

Many of you have lived most or all of your lives in Yelm and have given much of your time and energy to serving your friends, neighbors and families in this community each of you so dearly cherish and call home. Certainly being elected as Mayor and City Council is a reflection of the trust this town?s voters have put in your stewardship. That?s why the City?s October 10th Water Press Release and this NVN headline ?Lawsuit Ruling: ?Business as usual? is so baffling to me.

Thurston County Superior Court Judge Chris Wickham issued his Letter Opinion in the case of JZ Knight vs. the City of Yelm et al on October 7 agreeing with petitioner Knight that the City does not have sufficient water to support the five developments at issue. City attorney Richard Settle is quoted saying he ?is pleased and not surprised by Judge Wickham?s favorable decision.?

Favorable decision for the City?

That?s not what the Judge stated when he instructed the City of Yelm needs ?to make clear that proof of adequate potable water must be made at the time of final plat approval and not as late as the issuance of a building permit.?

Wickham?s decisions were not mentioned at all by the City or the NVN. Quite the contrary, quoting the Press Release, ?To set aside water rights at a time other than building permit does not make sense. In essence, the City would have to set aside water for lots that might not ever be developed,? said Yelm Mayor Ron Harding, who is happy with the decision.

?If the judge had agreed with Knight,? Harding explained, ?all growth in Yelm, including the construction of new homes and businesses would stop.?

Reading this, I can either ascertain one of three things happened:

1. The Letter Opinion was not read by the City and Mayor,

2. The Letter Opinion was read and not understood, or

3. The Press Release was a not-so-subtle, calculated and deliberate attempt at subterfuge of the truth and public trust.

All three of these options are not indicative of responsible leaders and the third one is a flagrant violation of the very community you swore to serve.

For City Administrator Badger to say the $145,000 ?the city has spent on legal fees responding to Knight?s lawsuit? ? boils down to being ?ironic that the decision equates to Yelm doing business as usual? strains the credibility of this Chamber & City Hall. The Judge cited the Washington Water Code, the Revised Code of Washington and the Yelm Municipal Code all required by the City to be followed on this issue. If the City would have followed these Codes enacted to protect public welfare, this case would not have been necessary. Myself and others have spoken for years on the record about this issue, all while the City kept defending an interpretation that water would only have to be proven at the building permit phase and not before.

Steve Chamberlain & Doug Bloom?s Letter to the Editor saying they spent ?hundreds of thousands of dollars of our hard-earned money in attorney and consultant fees defending our livelihood? shows that they threw their bags in with the City without proper ?due-diligence? & foresight. I would never spend my hard-earned money developing land unless I had confirmed from the State that a City could supply the water they say they could, lest I be holding the bag and not be able to recoup my development costs [Ed. Note: The State Dept. of Ecology determines water rights availability for the City, NOT the City of Yelm. Therefore, to rely on the City of Yelm's determination of water rights was a key flaw by these two men in spending their money to develop here. Why did they not go to Ecology first, since they were proposing such large projects requiring alot of water?]

Well, the State Dept. of Ecology in an Amicus Brief signed by the Asst. Attorney General and entered into the record by the Judge states, ?the City of Yelm does not currently have sufficient primary water rights to supply the new residences associated with the subject preliminary subdivision approvals.? ? ?Ecology has the authority to issue enforcement orders and penalties to those who violate the Washington Water Code or the terms and conditions of water rights?. Ecology notes it has the authority to enforce against the City of Yelm if it exceeds its water limitations.?

Business as usual?

Perhaps, if subterfuge, not coming clean with the public and giving the city?s newspaper of record a less than complete Press Release of the Judge?s Opinion are ways City Hall continues to conduct itself in this case.

Frankly, I have not seen such a black eye bestowed upon this city since this Council voted to restrict the public from mentioning the word ?Wal-Mart? in its chambers in 2005.

Judge Wickham?s decision is expected next week making his Letter final. Then, will the City conduct ?business as usual??

Sincerely,

Steve Klein
Yelm

[Ed. Note: When I sat down, Mayor Harding said,
"I want to say this for the record.
The NVN received the Judge's Letter as well,
and came to the same conclusion as the City."

I said, "I noticed."

NVN reporter Megan Hansen was there.

For the Mayor to call me anti-growth and Bloom/Chamberlain to make me and others the issue is a very good distraction for them to present, however I have always stated and am on-the-record for years speaking of Yelm's City Hall following the laws, Comp. Plans & Codes enacted to protect the public. I am for providing developments with proper road, water, sewage infrastructure BEFORE moving forward and straining the resources and environment.

Sounds like the City should consider a new attorney and if "Business as usual" is going to be the direction Mayor Harding is going to lead, the City would be wise to increase their budget for more litigation and attorney fees!]

Posted by Steve at 5:33 AM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBacks (0)
tree

Unread post by tree »

7 comments:
(Steve's responses to these people show he is gleaning much manipulation tactics from JZ. Good Fido!)

Bill Owen said:
Hi Steve,

Good work keeping this issue from flying past "under the radar". I really respect your dedication to the community.

I am so confused. (Nothing new here). I thought that the preliminary platting conf. was to identify all those things that needed to be done to get final plat approval. If so isn't this what the City is doing, ie. no final plat approval until water source has been approved?
My concern is that the developers and the City will get other pieces in order then use the tried & true political arm twisting for water approval from a less than adequate source. May just be my paranoia having been raised in east coast political environment .

Thanks,

Bill Owen

October 29, 2008 6:33 PM
Steve said:
Hi Bill,

What the City has been doing is taking the stand that water availability does not have to be proven/provided until the building permit phase -- which they say could be years after plat approval -- and where they do not have water now, they contend there is a "reasonable expectation" (their words to the court, not mine), they could have water then.
Of course, Ecology stepped in and said we are authorized by the State to handle water rights and you, Yelm, do not have enough now.

October 29, 2008 10:40 PM
Jean Handley said:
Dear Steve,

All day I have reviewed in my mind today's blog... it is significant in it's points and ramifications for Yelm.

I keep coming back to a silly sounding sentence but it holds importance for us all. You are the unelected mayor of Yelm. You are the observer standing silent and when needed you move to action, armed with truth.

You exemplify leadership in this community that is devoid of it at the local newspaper and at City Hall.

Thank you very much....

October 30, 2008 12:36 AM
Steve said:
Who knows what happens & how good people are swayed in government and forget their oaths to serve the public welfare.

After 2 decades of distinguished public service and a grand reputation, County Commissioner Diane Oberquell leaves with a tarnished legacy:
http://yelm.com/2008/06/612.html (DEAD LINK)

&

http://yelm.com/2008/08/outgoing-county ... ner-o.html (DEAD LINK)

Will Yelm officials leave behind a tarnished record, as well?

October 30, 2008 3:31 AM
Grace Engler said:
Steve, looks like the mayor is doing a "Sarah Palin" regarding the ruling. Good job summarizing and spreading the word.

October 30, 2008 8:29 AM
liz said:
If Mayor Harding is so ignorant and arrogant with his public comments, understanding of the law and duties as Mayor of the City of Yelm, he certainly needs his accountability, decision-making and authority investigated. As for tarnished records, those who live in Yelm, went to high school, worked here and know each other families, remember the pre-mayor days before he aspired to attempt respectability. I am sure the lawsuits will be hitting the City of Yelm in the very near future, $145, 000 is nothing compared to what the city will be facing. I recently read the Mayor of Detroit was sentenced to several months of jail time for his ignorant and arrogant comments to his public, the unprofessional way he managed his duties abusing his authority. Maybe that is what the City of Yelm needs. As for public service and good stewardship for this community, incorrect, this is all about money and greed, with a big dose of ego.

October 30, 2008 9:41 AM
Steve said:
And the Nisqually Valley News is complicit in this story, as they took the City's Press Release and ran only with that -- no investigative journalism award on this one!
As Mayor Harding said, the NVN received the Judge's Letter Opinion, too.

Where is the NVN's desire to share the truth for it's readers & public welfare???
Obviously from so many examples -- misplaced at best.

October 30, 2008 3:22 PM

Return to “News Articles”