Terry Cole-Whittaker & JZ Knight

This forum will list the news articles relative to the topic of RSE, directly or indirectly.
Compassion

Terry Cole-Whittaker & JZ Knight

Unread post by Compassion »

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,966843,00.html

WOW! Here's an old Time article dated 1985 (the year JZ went on Merv). There was someone on this EMF (I don't remember) that spoke of Terry copying after JZ Knight. From this article it appears from dates and the format of Terry that JZ patterned some of the money opportunity (independent congregation...) and personal experiences (marriages...) from Terry and did many 'one ups' on Terry. They both had a way with speaking to groups and they both had the charisma/looks delivery THEN. Terry was BIG on TV, tapes, and books. You were NOT charged to come to Terry's talks. They were by gift-offering at each individual talk.

However, it appears (at the moment) that they both live in separate parts of Washington State.

Is It Something in Washington's Water that causes people to be so vulnerably thristy for these kinds of role models? I am trying to understand that draw for outside one's self.

COMPASSION
Compassion

For got Something...Re: Terry Cole-Whittaker & JZ Knight

Compassion wrote:http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,966843,00.html

WOW! Here's an old Time article dated 1985 (the year JZ went on Merv). There was someone on this EMF (I don't remember) that spoke of Terry copying after JZ Knight. From this article it appears from dates and the format of Terry that JZ patterned some of the money opportunity (independent congregation...) and personal experiences (marriages...) from Terry and did many 'one ups' on Terry. They both had a way with speaking to groups and they both had the charisma/looks delivery THEN. Terry was BIG on TV, tapes, and books. You were NOT charged to come to Terry's talks. They were by gift-offering at each individual talk.

However, it appears (at the moment) that they both live in separate parts of Washington State.

Is It Something in Washington's Water that causes people to be so vulnerably thristy for these kinds of role models? I am trying to understand that draw for outside one's self.

COMPASSION

PS Terry Cole-Whittaker is a minister who founded an independent New Thought church in San Diego, California.

She became familiar with what she calls the "principles of prosperity" through the actions of a teacher in high school.

She enrolled in college, where she became the homecoming queen and president of the freshman class. She would later go on to enter the Mrs. America pageant, becoming Mrs. California and winning third place in the national competition. She later joined the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera and became an opera singer. She would not stay with this position long, however. She went on to start a company, Success Plus, in which she became one of the first conductors of human potential seminars for corporations, becoming a successful motivational and inspirational speaker.

She went on to earn a Doctor of Divinity degree in 1973, and was ordained as a minister of the United Church of Religious Science in 1975, and became the pastor of a fifty-member congregation of that church in La Jolla in 1977. The church grew under her leadership, drawing numbers as high as 5,000 for Easter Sunday, and eventually expanded to include a grammar school, ministry school, and five teaching centers. She also began a television program in 1979, which at one time was syndicated to fifteen television stations in the country.

In 1982, Cole-Whitaker left the United Church of Religious Science and founded a separate church, Terry Cole-Whitaker Ministries. She continued to be popular, drawing over four thousand people to her weekly services and traveling as a lecturer and workshop leader. Three years later, in 1985, existing financial concerns prompted her to cease production of the television show and create a new foundation, Adventures in Enlightenment, a Foundation.[1]

The Foundation later purchased land in Washington to build a retreat center and start an organic farm and started an ashram and library in India for the purposes of teaching Westerners traditional Indian religion.
Robair

Hello

Unread post by Robair »

Hello Compassion.
Terry was listening to JZ tape early 1985,if you look on the Yucca Valley retreat tape of 1985 you will see her walk with JZ an Anne Marie B.
Trerry went to the school.
I think the reason she moved to Yelm was to study JZ's style,they really never became friends,I think JZ knew what she was up too.
Oldone
I Value Things Not For What They Worth But For What They Represent
Compassion

Re: Hello

Oldone wrote:Hello Compassion.
Terry was listening to JZ tape early 1985,if you look on the Yucca Valley retreat tape of 1985 you will see her walk with JZ an Anne Marie B.
Trerry went to the school.
I think the reason she moved to Yelm was to study JZ's style,they really never became friends,I think JZ knew what she was up too.
Oldone
OH! There you are 'Oldone'.
Thanks.
Caterpillar

Unread post by Caterpillar »

Hello Compassion and Oldone

Oldone, this was also mentioned here, of all places. Is that the only RSE retreat Terry went?

http://www.icsahome.com/logon/elibdocvi ... -Whittaker (DEAD LINK)

Copied from above:

New Life for Terry Cole-Whittaker

From the San Jose [CA] Mercury News June 14, 1986

California's "Archbishop of Affluence," Terry Cole-Whittaker, who preached the divine right of prosperity for eight years to a young upper-middle class TV audience, is back in the U.S - after living and traveling in Hawaii, India, and parts of California - promoting her New Age book, "The Inner Path From Where You Are to Where You Want To Be: A Spiritual Odyssey." In 1985, she went on a retreat in California's Yucca Valley with Ramtha, a 35,000-year-old entity said (by some) to inhabit the body of a woman named J.Z. Knight.

Cult Observer, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1986, p. 8

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Arc ... _topdoc=51 (DEAD LINK)
Copied from above:

Article 53 of 100, Article ID: 8602150748

Published on June 14, 1986, San Jose Mercury News (CA)

NEW LIFE FOR 'ARCHBISHOP OF AFFLUENCE'

?SIX DAYS a week, they toiled in the urban fields, eking out enough of a living to make the payments on the 300 ZX and buy a Puligny-Montrachet for the wine rack, with a few pennies left to keep the American Express wolves from the door. Still, for many of them, something seemed to be missing -- and it wasn't a Rolex.

It was religion.

So, on the seventh day, they put aside their worldly wants and turned over their upwardly mobile souls to the Rev. Terry Cole-Whittaker, the?
Robair

Hello

Unread post by Robair »

Hello Cat
No she went to the ranch for a few,I did not keep up with her or do not know how long she went I said Hi to her in the arena she was kind suprise to see us there.
One of my Carpenter was kind of her boy friend for a while so he said,I can not be sure of that though.

Oldone
I Value Things Not For What They Worth But For What They Represent

Return to “News Articles”