Karma post rating system (PRS) Vote

A place for EMF members to contact the moderators, post their questions, suggestions and concerns regarding the management and moderating of EMF.
This forum is open for discussion and exchange of views.

EMF Karma (PRS) Keep or Go

Poll ended at Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 am

Keep
No votes
Go
100%

Total votes: 11

EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

Karma post rating system (PRS) Vote

Unread post by EMFWebmaster »

Dear EMF members,
Our Karma post rating system (PRS) has been operational now for over four months.
Plenty of time to evaluate its value to EMF.
We are now conducting a poll for all EMF members to decide if it should Stay or Go?
We would appreciate your vote. :idea:

EMF admin.
Karma is a Topic &) Post Rating System (PRS) allows users to vote on a post or topic using a intuitive 5 stars interface, that doubles as a display.
Its a way for users to communicate to each other how they feel about each others posts.
phpBB • View topic - [ABD] (Topic &) Post Rating System (with Karma module)
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=645855
California Dreamin'

Re: Karma post rating system (PRS) Vote

Unread post by California Dreamin' »

Hi David -

I never understood what the Karma post rating was. Now that I know what it means, I am not in support of it.

For those of us still working on obtaining our mental sobriety post-RSE, it feels to me like a report card. I, for one, continue to work on self-esteem, and it is uncomfortable to know that my posts are being judged/rated.

CD
preeatenna

Unread post by preeatenna »

Positive karma might work OK, but negative karma can only create disharmony among members.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

'karma' in this context appears to stand in for 'like' but karma is a loaded word with all kinds of new agey connotations, as if by voting one is handing out praise or failure, or thumbs up or down. In the Colliseum of old Rome the thumbs down meant slay the loser, and thumbs up [like in facebook] meant spare the loser's life--we "like" you! so you get to thrive another day!

then i think of what karma means: action in basic Sanskrit with the philosophical implication that action begets action, thus further entangling one in samsara. Any action, even charitable, means one is yet attached to embodiments or material life. With good action one might gain a better future incarnation in the hell of material existence.

In pure yogic awareness, one is above all action, unattached to anything good or bad, thus "free" or liberated [moksha] from any more reincarnations.

my vote is get rid of the karma rating. too many impications for too many people in recovery from a fake Hinduist cult.
Rooster

Unread post by Rooster »

I know the karma was a new idea and not a bad one. I just had in mind when I made the suggestion for a like button. Like they have on face book. Like as to be able to read a post and like what was said, as it maybe even resonated. I had thought some of the people who never post or may even be intimidated may be able to just press like. I know many on face book hate to post anything, but if something good has happened will respond to people with, the like button.
I also thought it may help with reader response of what is important to others and what is being read out of all the members. I do agree karma may be a strong word. And I know I could never send anyone negative karma. So with that I would say delete it.
Ockham

Unread post by Ockham »

I like the idea of a, "like," button. I think the number of likes should be attached to the postings themselves and not be associated with the author. We don't want new authors that have not accumulated a large number likes to be shy about posting.

To make keeping likeability statistics worthwhile, it would need to be possible to sort postings within topics by number of likes.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

CAN POSTS BE RATED AS TO NUMBER OF HITS :?: or views :?:
Rooster

Unread post by Rooster »

Ockham,
I like that! Thats what I originally had in mind. But joe Your right. I have decided things may be just best left alone. I had other sugestions in mind like uhm... spell check! But I know how things went after the last change and fear David would come after me. So I am happy with the way things were! Luv you David!!! Thank you, for all of your hard work!!!!
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Luv you David!!! Thank you, for all of your hard work!!!!
Thank you Rooster,
Oooo some good karma coming my way...
but wait..I don't believe in Karma ;-)
I had other sugestions in mind like uhm... spell check!
Good suggestion...
My spell checker is operational on EMF... but it may be a facility built into my Firefox browser?
We will look into installing a spell checker within the board... :idea:
CAN POSTS BE RATED AS TO NUMBER OF HITS :?: or views :?:
Don't think so Joe, only the number of views per thread.
To make keeping likeability statistics worthwhile, it would need to be possible to sort postings within topics by number of likes.
Hi Ockham I can check if there is such a phpbb3 mod that will do this.
but it makes us very nervous to add new mods to the forum as they can throw a spanner in the works given the size of our data base, the other thought is to do some EMF housecleaning to make the board easier to navigate but that would mean deleting posts and we are not comfortable with that as it smacks of censorship.
Thanks for you votes and comments everyone...
Looks like our karma mod is to be fed to the lions... :D
David
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Ockham

Unread post by Ockham »

I think it would be fine to keep the board the way it is now. It is a wonderful resource.
California Dreamin'

Unread post by California Dreamin' »

I agree with Ockham. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

OK the vote was unanimous ...our EMF Karma Mod is GONE, zilch, nadda...
As in...
:“He's not pining, he's passed on. This parrot is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff, bereft of life, he rests in peace. If you hadn't have nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. He's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.
This is an ex-Karma Mod!
It was worth a try though :D

David
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....

Return to “All Things EMF - Researching the Ramtha Cult? Use our EMF Search Engine”