Group Conformity The Asch Experiment

Educate yourself. Videos - Interviews - We address the topic of RSE, Cults and Recovery.
Open for discussion and exchange of views.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Group Conformity The Asch Experiment

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Why at my first RSE beginners event was I was surrounded by "advanced students'?
It all makes sense to me now :idea:
Check this out....
The Asch conformity experiments were a series of studies published in the 1950s that demonstrated the power of conformity in groups. These are also known as the "Asch Paradigm".
The Asch Experiment - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRh5qy09nNw
Variations of the basic paradigm tested how many cohorts were necessary to induce conformity, examining the influence of just one cohort and as many as fifteen. Results indicate that one cohort has virtually no influence and two cohorts have only a small influence. When three or more cohorts are present, the tendency to conform increases only modestly. The maximum effect occurs with four cohorts. Adding additional cohorts does not produce a stronger effect
Asch conformity experiments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_confo ... xperiments
"As 1984 begins, various totalitarian governments control and censor the media and squelch dissenting individuals. Perhaps more ominously and subtly here and elsewhere in the world, there are mini-versions of Orwell’s Big Brother, Newspeak and Thought Police. Since the early 1970′s there has been a burgeoning not of governments, but of independent entrepreneurial groups going into the mind manipulation and personality-change business. Myriads of faddist, cultists, quacks and “new age” and “new-movement” groups have emerged using Orwellian mind manipulation techniques. The groups recruit the naive, the unaffiliated, the trusting and the altruistic. They promise intellectual, spiritual and self-actualization utopias whereas the pied pipers of the past promised primarily social and political new worlds. The New Age pied pipers offer pathways to development, enlightenment and egalitarianism. Many later subject their followers to mind-numbing treatments that block thinking and subjugate free will in a context of a strictly enforced hierarchy.
Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
ex

Re: Group Conformity The Asch Experiment

Unread post by ex »

also the seating: most currents in the back.[remember the cheap price if you were current?] not visible but the enthusiasm sweeps over the newcomers.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Re: Group Conformity The Asch Experiment

Unread post by David McCarthy »

not visible but the enthusiasm sweeps over the newcomers.
At my second RSE event (circa March 1990)I remember being aghast at witnessing crowds of Ramtha devotees squeezed against the arena doors counting down the seconds untill the doors would swing open, then whamo" it was off to the races with some very large women stampeding across the arena floor jostling to get to the front row seats, actually there were no seats
just a compacted mud floor. The whole spectacle was embarrassing and alarming.. :oops:
My Guru worship syndrome had already been demolished by "Ramtha" and here was witnessing exactly the same stupefying
behavior at RSE, Red Flag . But thinking that I just spent an extraordinary amount of money and arriving from NZ I decided to do the event anyway and walk away afterwards.
Big Mistake...
Kinda makes me wonder how many people turned up at RSE who then realised it was a cult but decided to do the event anyway...for the learning!
Yea right.

David
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....

Return to “TV Interviews - Videos -Documentaries - Educate yourself”