Locus of Control

Educate yourself. Videos - Interviews - We address the topic of RSE, Cults and Recovery.
Open for discussion and exchange of views.
Walk in the Park

Locus of Control

Unread post by Walk in the Park »

What is Locus of Control?
Within psychology, Locus of Control is considered to be an important aspect of personality. The concept was developed originally Julian Rotter in the 1950s (Rotter, 1966).

Locus of Control refers to an individual's perception about the underlying main causes of events in his/her life. Or, more simply:

Do you believe that your destiny is controlled by yourself or by external forces (such as fate, god, or powerful others)?

The full name Rotter gave the construct was Locus of Control of Reinforcement. In giving it this name, Rotter was bridging behavioural and cognitive psychology. Rotter's view was that behaviour was largely guided by "reinforcements" (rewards and punishments) and that through contingencies such as rewards and punishments, individuals come to hold beliefs about what causes their actions. These beliefs, in turn, guide what kinds of attitudes and behaviours people adopt. This understanding of Locus of Control is consistent, for example, with Philip Zimbardo (a famous psychologist):

A locus of control orientation is a belief about whether the outcomes of our actions are contingent on
what we do (internal control orientation) or on events outside our personal control (external control orientation)." (Zimbardo, 1985, p. 275)
Thus, locus of control is conceptualised as referring to a unidimensional continuum, ranging from external to internal:

External Locus of Control
Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by fate, luck, or other external circumstances
Internal Locus of Control
Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by his/her personal decisions and efforts.

Is an internal locus of control desirable?
In general, it seems to be psychologically healthy to perceive that one has control over those things which one is capable of influencing.

In simplistic terms, a more internal locus of control is generally seen as desirable. Having an Internal locus of control can also be referred to as "self-agency", "personal control", "self-determination", etc. Research has found the following trends:

Males tend to be more internal than females
As people get older they tend to become more internal
People higher up in organisational structures tend to be more internal (Mamlin, Harris, & Case, 2001)
However, its important to warn people against lapsing in the overly simplistic view notion that internal is good and external is bad (two legs good, four legs bad?). There are important subtleties and complexities to be considered. For example:

Internals can be psychologically unhealthy and unstable. An internal orientation usually needs to be matched by competence, self-efficacy and opportunity so that the person is able to successfully experience the sense of personal control and responsibility. Overly internal people who lack competence, efficacy and opportunity can become neurotic, anxious and depressed. In other words, internals need to have a realistic sense of their circle of influence in order to experience 'success'.
Externals can lead easy-going, relaxed, happy lives.
Despite these cautions, psychological research has found that people with a more internal locus of control seem to be better off, e.g., they tend to be more achievement oriented and to get better paid jobs. However, thought regarding causality is needed here too. Do environmental circumstances (such as privilege and disadvantage) cause LOC beliefs or do the beliefs cause the situation?

Sometimes Locus of Control is seen as a stable, underlying personality construct, but this may be misleading, since the theory and research indicates that that locus of control is largely learned. There is evidence that, at least to some extent, LOC is a response to circumstances. Some psychological and educational interventions have been found to produce shifts towards internal locus of control (e.g., outdoor education programs; Hans, 2000; Hattie, Marsh, Neill & Richards, 1997).

http://wilderdom.com/psychology/loc/Loc ... hatIs.html

Do you believe that your destiny is controlled by yourself or by external forces (such as fate, god, or powerful others)?
So, let's say at RSE they are taught THEY create their reality themsleves.

So, let's say you are in the Supermarket and you run into a Ramster.
You two chat about a bizarre set of circumstances or about the odd weather passing through Yelm during an Assay.
To which the current RSE person remarks:
"I think you-know-who has a big hand in this. How else do you explain a white tiny tornado ripping through the parking lot at dinner breaK?"

hmmm....where does their locus of control TRULY reside?
and how did it get there?
years of brainwashing, I would surmise.
But that "student" would tell you THEY themselves are 100% in control of their life.

They then proceed to get hit by a car in the parking lot.

:roll:
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

For me, I believe it is a combination of both. I control the things in my life that are "within" my control. I cannot control others, but one can try (anyone have teenagers?) :wink: I cannot control the weather, for if I could, there would be sunshine all day long, with gentle rains when needed. There would not be 100,000 'dead' in the Myanmar cyclone, etc. So in the beliefs of the experts, is not a realistic combination desired? Oh, and I CAN control my bladder...(okay, you can edit that but my sense of humor is quite "dry." 8) 8) 8)

Nice to see you all! I have been traveling - not RSE OOB traveling, but the real deal. This planet's beauty is worthy of preservation. When one sees the ruins of civilizations passed, yet turquoise waters rise in the background and schools of fish find their way to your feet in the great oceans, how can we ever consider harming this wonderful. living earth? (apologies for going off topic)
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972

Return to “TV Interviews - Videos -Documentaries - Educate yourself”