"The Brotherhood" an Australian Documentary

Educate yourself. Videos - Interviews - We address the topic of RSE, Cults and Recovery.
Open for discussion and exchange of views.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

"The Brotherhood" an Australian Documentary

Unread post by David McCarthy »

The Brotherhood, shown on Australian TV Feb 2009.
The ?Universal Brotherhood? was one of the first ?New Age? cults in Australia,.
so many parallels to RSE, well worth viewing.
Matt Taylor, Australian Rock Star.
And I?m just sitting there thinking this is wrong, this is wrong. This is not what we?re here for. This is just power out of control. Trying to control each individual. Because that?s what it was. If I would have said, yes, I?ll learn the 1000 Songs from the - they?ve got me.
I?ve given everything to be part of this. And they want to take the one thing that is truly mine; and the one thing that will always be mine. And then it pretty much hit me. Wait a second. If I accept this then I?m just going to lose myself. I?m just going to turn into something I?ve always disliked. You know just a mouthpiece for other people?s thoughts.
Thank you C.

Hey Joe,
have you heard of this group before?

David.

Summary
The Universal Brotherhood was Australia's most celebrated alternative community. Born in the 1970s, it flourished in lush farmland, three hours south of Perth. Hundreds of young idealists, including rock star Matt Taylor, gave up everything to follow their very own New Age guru, but what came of their dreams has haunted them ever since. 30 years later ex-members are hosting a reunion. They want to confront the sect's surviving leader. The scene is set for a dramatic showdown. Drawing on never-before-seen 16mm footage of the Brotherhood's golden days, this powerful program explores the life and legacy of a uniquely Australian cult.
Compass: The Brotherhood - ABC TV

The Brotherhood video link?.

http://www.abc.net.au/compass/s2484490.htm
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

no, can't recall this one.
caterpillar mentioned them to me a bit ago.
I would like to see the video.

There were many many communal experiments in the sixties and seventies, but most flopped within a few years. In hindsight nearly all of them developed cultlike symptoms. Poor managing skills tend to devolve into authoritarian games with leaders who savor power--even in hippie communes. The most famous one in the US that eventually fell into similar bad management/authoritarianism by the 1980s was The Farm in Tennessee. They made some reforms and survive today as an "intentional community" with a little over 100 members----it once had over 1500 and some say 2000. I had some friends who lived there but later dropped out---or dropped back in to society when I met them in 1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farm_(Tennessee)
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... farm200705

Return to “TV Interviews - Videos -Documentaries - Educate yourself”