DO WHAT THOU WILT

Open for discussion and exchange of views.
joe sz

DO WHAT THOU WILT

Unread post by joe sz »

Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) created an ouvre as "the Beast 666" and the go-to guy for wannabe satanists and practitioners of "Magick"---a word he coined. In a recent, well-researched biography by Lawrence Sutin (2000) [Do What Thou Wilt: a life of Aleister Crowley---483 pages] the reader can find a host of parallels to all New Age beliefs, especially those involved with the "Great Work", ie, the making oneself into a god, or an OT as in Hubbard's group, a "Christ" Self as in CUT/Summit Lighthouse, or "Sovereign Master" as in RSE.

Crowley may have been crude in his sex habits and drug addicted [heroin] but his occult practices are entirely Theosophical and in the same Gnostic camp as Ramtha..

Sutin does a great job explaining the channeling in Crowley's Book of the Law---a weird tome in red cover I have in my collection.

http://www.amazon.com/Do-What-Thou-Wilt ... 0312288972
Vanilla

Re: DO WHAT THOU WILT

Unread post by Vanilla »

He is someone I read when I was younger. I remember poetry about goddesses and this red scarlett lady he was in love with.

He defecated in front of a dalai lama or something?
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

CROWLEY WAS A PROLIFIC [SECOND RATE] WRITER AND POET (oops too loud). he was a wastrel, lived for most of adult life on inheritance from a wealthy grandfather, was actually named "the Beast" by his mom when he was a teen due to behavior issues. He had several "Scarlett Women" who were his sex-magic companions. And yes, one of his Scarlett's (Leah Hirsig) in her channeled guise as "Alostrael" [like a Ramtha] ordered him to eat her sh&t and he did...
"Then I obeyed. My mouth burned; my throat choked; my belly retched; my blood fled wither....." (Crowley, "Confessions")
These magical sessions were called "Workings" in his A.A./OTO cult, and they could get extremely lurid---any orifice of any gender (and once w a he-goat) would do...

The Dalai Lama thing about eating "sh&t" came up many years ago during a conference about all the Buddhist cults and decrepit Lamas teaching in the West, taking advantage of naive seeker females, etc. The Dalai Lama said that if a Tibetan monk was truly enlightened he could "eat sh&t" without reaction. Everyone snikkered, but he was serious apparently---but no, this had nothing to do with Crowley.
Ockham

Unread post by Ockham »

Cool. I noticed that heritage in Theosophy shone through even reading the white book, "Ramtha." I had assumed that the version of, "Ramtha," I read hadn't been written by Judy, as it doesn't sound like Judy, except for the parts speaking directly as Ramtha - of course, it shouldn't sound like Judy because allegedly she is the only person who can't be here when Ramtha is going on. Later, on this message board, I found out it was written by Steven L Weinberg - funny, I had thought a the author sounded like writing from a female perspective - I got that wrong.

I noticed that for many years RSE called itself, "The American Gnostic School," when I was looking at old RSE material, but they've dropped that branding in the last few years. I guess they don't want to come off looking like an HP Blavatsky retread to people who may actually know a thing or two before considering jumping in with Ramtha. Or somebody sued JZ for calling it Gnostic? - nah! In deference to appealing world-wide doesn't want to call it American?
Sort of suggests there are other Gnostic schools; not good for projecting exclusivity of the teaching.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

Ockham,
Actually....there were many new spiritual movements already camped as "Gnostic Schools". One I am dealing with now is The Gnostic Movement headed but the controversial Mark Pritchard who calls himself Belzebuub--may have mentioned this in another post. So, i imagine JZ and co. have to be careful----naming one's cult is a minefield these days as everything is either taken or trademarked. Rajneesh originally wanted to have his folk wear orange/ochre but he noted that the Hare Krishna already "owned' that color among popular 1970s cults, so he opted for a range from Buddhist maroon/purple to orange or as he said "the colors of the sunrise".

Also, there were many "Ramas" [eg Swami Rama of the Himalayan Inst in PA] out there by 1977 so Ramtha was a unique spin on the old name for God in Hinduism. I always had a suspicion that JZ's subconscious picked up on Mothra or some other mythical beast. An earlier, 1970s channeling cult gave out names like "Xantha" to members. Who knows? Some of this stuff emerges as our dreams do in surrealistic fashion. Even the channeler can be mystified.

btw, The Crowley quote above about eating sh&t (aka "cakes of light" by OTO members) was from his "Magical Record" (235), not his Confessions.

Return to “Tips, Links and Book Reviews”