A Perfect Target: Beware the techniques of the Sociopath

Open for discussion and exchange of views.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

EMF recommended reading...
Thank you Dr. Martha Stout :idea:
Beware the techniques of the Sociopath
Dr. Martha Stout, in her book 'The Sociopath Next Door', discusses the techniques of the sociopath - what she refers to as 'the tools of the trade'. The first technique she talks about is charm. Dr. Stout believes it is "a primary characteristic of sociopathy. The intense charm of people who have no conscience, a kind of inexplicable charisma, has been observed and commented on by countless victims, and by researchers who attempt to catalog the diagnostic signs of sociopathy. It is a potent characteristic". Dr. Robert Hare and Dr. Paul Babiak talk about the role of charm during the interview process in their latest book "Snakes in Suits - When Psychopaths Go To Work". According to the book, "one of the most effective skills psychopaths use to get the trust of people is their ability to charm them. Some psychopaths lay the charm on too thick, coming across as glib, superficial, and unconvincing. Hower, the truly talented ones have raised their ability to charm people to that of an art, priding themselves on their ability to present a fictional self to others that is convincing, taken at face value, and difficult to penetrate". One must always keep in mind that the charm, like manipulation, can be very subtle.

Seduction is another common technique of the sociopath. According to Dr. Stout "people without conscience have an uncanny sense of who will be vulnerable to a sexual overture". But seduction is not llimited to sexual relationships; sociopaths can and will seduce family, friends and colleagues with their acting skills. Sociopaths will seduce others for power, money, control and sex.

The pity play is next on the list of sociopathic techniques. It's okay to pity someone who has gone through difficult times, but if you find yourself feeling sorry for someone's sad story, make sure the story is true. The pity play should be a warning sign to all of us.

Projection and gaslighting are also on the list of common sociopathic techniques. Sociopaths refuse to be held accountable for their behavior and often assign their own behavior to their victims. For example, a sociopath could accuse a victim of stealing when it is the sociopath himself that steals. Gaslighting is a common practice of abusers who attempt to convince their victims they are defective for any reason such as making the victim more emotional, more needy or dependent. For example, if an abusive person says hurtful things and tries to convince you that you are mentally unstable and starts recommending that you get professional help, you might be in the presence of a gaslilghter.

According to Dr. Hare and Dr. Babiak, psychopaths are always on the lookout for individuals to scam or swindle. The psychopathic approach includes three phases: the assessment phase, the manipulation phase and the abandonment phase. "Some psychopaths are opportunistic, aggressive predators who wil take advantage of almost anyone they meet, while others are more patient, waiting for the perfect, innocent victim to cross their path. In each case, the psychopath is constantly sizing up the potential usefulness of an individual as a source of money, power, sex or influence". The authors go on to say that some psychopaths enjoy a challenge while others prey on people who are vulnerable. This could include people who are lonely or people who need emotional support, elderly people or those who have been recently hurt or victimized. During the assessment phase, the psychopath is able to determine a potential victim's weak points and will use those weak points to seduce.

Once the psychopath has identified a victim, the manipulation phase begins. During the manipulation phase, a psychopath may create a persona or mask, specifically designed to 'work' for his or her target. A psychopath will lie to gain the trust of their victim. A psychopath's lack of empathy and guilt allows them to lie with ease - "they don't see the value of telling the truth unless it will help get them what they want".

In Chapter 4 of the book "Snakes in Suits", Dr. Hare and Dr. Babiak write:

"As interaction with you proceeds, the psychopath carefully assesses your persona. Your persona gives the psychopath a picture of the traits and characteristics you value in yourself. Your persona may also reveal, to an astute observer, insecurities or weaknesses you wish to minimize or hide from view. As an ardent student of human behavior, the psychopath will then gently test the inner strengths and needs that are part of your private self and eventually build a personal relationship with you by communicating (through words and deeds) four important messages".

According to the book the four messages that the psychopath communicates are 1) I like who you are; 2) I am just like you; 3) Your secrets are safe with me; and 4) I am the perfect friend or lover or partner for you.

Dr. Hare and Dr. Babiak sum up the differences between a real bond between two people who meet each other and have much in common and the psychopathic bond quite well:

"..the persona of the psychopath-the "personality" the person is bonding with-does not really exist. It was built on lies, carefully woven together to entrap you. It is a mask, one of many, custom-made by the psychopath to fit your particular psychological needs and expectations. It does not reflect the true personality--the psychopathic personality--that lies beneath. It is a convenient fabrication. Second, these relationships are not based on informed choice. The psychopath chooses you and then moves in. Outsiders, without the benefit of intimate converesation, may see what is really going on, but we tend to discount these observations, and may spend energy convincing our friends that this person is special. Third, because it is faked, it won't last like genuine relationships. While genuine relationships change over time--love may turn to hate, marriages end in divorce--the initial starting point was based on real data, as it was known at the time. People change over time, and sometimes grow apart. The psychopath, though, will not invest more than minimal energy in maintaining the relationship unless you can offer something really special, which is not usually the case. Hence, when the relationship ends, you may be left wondering what just happened. Fourth, the relationhip is one-sided because the psychopath has an ulterior--some would say "evil"--and, at the very least, selfish motive. The victimization goes far beyond trying to take advantage of someone on a date or during a simple business transaction. The victimization is predatory in nature; it often leads to severe financial, physical or emotional harm for the individual. Healthy, real relationships are built on mutual respect and trust; they are based on sharing honest thoughts and feelings. The mistaken belief that the psychopathic bond has any of these characteristics is the reason it is so successful".

Dr. Hare goes on to say that the psychopathic bond can take place very quickly, sometimes within hours. That means it could happen over coffee, drinks, in a business meeting or, as Dr. Hare mentions, on a cross-country airplane trip.

The abandonment phase begins when the psychopath decides that their victim is no longer useful. They abandon their vicim and move on to someone else. In the case of romantic relationshps, a psychopath will usually seal a relationship with their next target before abandoning their current victim. Abandonment can happen quickly and can occur without the current victim knowing that the psychopath was looking for someone new. There will be no apologies for the hurt and pain they cause because psychopaths do not appreciate these emotions.

What Dr. Hare and Babiak discuss in their most recent book is chiling and disturbing but the information should not be ignored. I believe it is human nature to want to avoid bad news or discount information that may be difficult to comprehend. Confronting the truth that there are millions of people in this country alone that exhibit the traits of a psychopath or sociopath is extremely hard to believe for most of us. We all want to believe in the goodness of others; we assume that everyone can feel empathy and guilt, compassion and real love. Unforturnately, what you see is not always what you get and appearances can be deceiving. To anyone who is interested in protecting themselves or others against the psychopathic bond, please read "Snakes in Suits - When Psychopaths Go To Work" by Dr Robert Hare Ph.D. and Dr. Paul Babiak, Ph.D. As the book states "The number of people with psychopathic personalities suggests that most of us will come across at least one psychopath during a typical day. However, the ability of clever psychopaths to hide their true nature makes it difficult to tell them from others one might meet on the street".
http://toogoodtobereal.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... opath.html
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
newshoes

Re: A Perfect Target: Beware the techniques of the Sociopath

Unread post by newshoes »

Thanks, David for posting this excerpt.

I have been reading on another forum, called psychopath free. Like this forum, people post experiences and insights. There is a not so surprising similarity in their stories and our rse stories. I have said here openly, that I believe that jzkr is dissociative and sociopathic and the more I read, the more it rings true for me.

In naming the pattern, I have found a place to start with healing along the path of forgiveness and compassion. I know that I can't stay wounded and angry, for my own good health in the long run. It has helped me to hear/read the stories of others recovering from individual ~paths, and given me a few surprising moments of compassion for jz. She is, IMHO, deeply wounded, and very dangerous. And yet, deserving of compassion. I don't mean in any way to excuse or minimize the damage she has wrought. Only that, after all these years and all the grief and lost opportunities for myself because I believed that ramtha was real and was telling me something enlightened, I can actually sense healing in myself.

Yes, she did create a cult to satisfy herself, she has destroyed and maimed a lot of people and their families. She is a snake on steroids. I do understand. I am now enlightened. ;-)

I also want to say that I contacted Joe Szimhart and asked for a referral to an exit counselor in my area. I cannot say enough about how useful those meetings were for me. I know that I would not have made the kind of progress and regained a sense of who I might be as quickly without that work. I might one day know a little more of who I am, sans ramtha created crazy concepts. As an AA friend said to me, "I couldn't kill myself until I had been sober for five years, I wouldn't know who I was killing!"

My thanks to everyone who has posted, you are part of my healing.

New Shoes
Cedar

Unread post by Cedar »

Thanks for that info David. I felt JZ was probably a sociopath a long time ago. It seems to be the persona of cult leaders doesnt it. Esp of note is the charming personslity characteristic. Boy could JZ Or acting as Scamtha turn on that charm when needed.

It is also fitting that this subject comes up after more recent revelations about EE. I will say no more, we can let personal experiences already posted for many of us speak to this at this point.

The problem with sociopaths is it is usually after it is too late and you are burned that one realizes what they are dealing with!
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Hello newshoes, Cedar ,
The problem with sociopaths is it is usually after it is too late and you are burned that one realizes what they are dealing with!
Isn't that the painful truth...
Thank you for your posts and insights on this subject.
newshoes,
Thank you for recommending the forum site Psychopath Free, here is the link:
Psychopath Free | Narcissist, Sociopath, and Psychopath Abuse Recovery
http://www.psychopathfree.com/
I haven't had time to explore yet but it looks like a very valuable resource.
In psychology there is an adage that goes 'To Name it is to Tame It', i think this approach is very helpful when dealing with cultic abuse and understanding the perpetrators.
Undoubtedly for me these individuals including JZ Knight fit the profile of a sociopath exactly.
I have found talking to professional Psychologist, Therapist and a Psychiatrist very helpful in my personal journey of recover, but they all admitted a limited knowledge in this field as to what makes cult leaders tick, their methods of recruitment or the psychological damage done to really address a recovery program that may help victims of cultic abuse. I found our exchanges very helpful. Both the psychologists and psychiatrist diagnosed me as having a form of P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) but not so severe as to recommend any form of medication. This brings me to a point about those suffering from BIPOLAR DISORDER, I wonder if those on medication if they are extra numb to the fallout of their atrocious behavior inflicted others? I suspect so.
Here is an interesting article about Vivien Leigh who suffered 'and made others suffer' due to her bipolar manic episodes.... :idea:

David.
Vivien Leigh
BIPOLAR DISORDER
Bipolar disorder (formerly known as manic depressive disorder) is characterized by experience of one or more manic episodes as well as periods of depression. The illness involves extreme mood swings - from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide.
Symptoms: periods of mania can be characterized by increased energy, euphoria, restlessness, insomnia, racing thoughts, grandiose thinking, impulsiveness, anxiety, irritability or hostility (occasionally), and, in severe cases, delusions and hallucinations; bipolar depression include prolonged sadness, loss of interest in pleasurable activities, hopelessness, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, uncontrollable crying, and thoughts of death or suicide.
Why people have bipolar disorder: some studies suggest it can be genetic.
In the US 5.7 million people have bipolar disorder.
Historical figures/celebrities with bipolar disorder: Edgar Allan Poe, Ernest Hemingway, Frank Sinatra, Kurt Cobain, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Mel Gibson, Vincent Van Gogh, Virginia Woolf, and Vivien Leigh...
Laurence Olivier (from his autobiography): ... her [Vivien's] disease was called manic depression and that meant - a possibly permanent cyclical to-and-fro between the depths of depression and wild, uncontrollable mania.
Despite the belief that Vivien Leigh "got" bipolar disorder after her miscarriage in 1940, Vivien had shown some signs of strange behaviors years before the miscarriage. Additionally, this disorder is known to have some genetic factors.
Bipolar disorder and Vivien Leigh
http://vivien-leigh.info/bipolar_disorder/
Related:
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD wiki -
https://www.google.com/#q=PTSD+wiki
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Cedar

Unread post by Cedar »

Yes, we see some side effects of medication even in the media from time to time...lawsuits etc about whether it lead to various suicides or agressive violence.

There is much we don't know about the effects of medication, and if BigParma knows.. Perhaps they are silent.::

Return to “Tips, Links and Book Reviews”