REPORT FROM THE COURTHOUSE, DAY19 NXVIM TRIAL

NXIVM Cult - Keith Raniere found guilty -Lawsuits - Recovery
These forums are open for discussion and exchange of views.
journeythroughramthaland

Unread post by journeythroughramthaland »

The day started out with the Judge leading a respectful moment of silence for those who gave their lives on D-Day.

The female FBI witness continued with her testimony, testifying to and identifying from emailed photos the room in which the branding took place. It contained a large brown dining table, no chairs, several harsh lights and a tripod for a camera. The room also contained a small kitchen within which there were magnetic letters up spelling various salacious things such as “suck my hard d*#k.

The Government Attorney moved on to photos of Cami, and medical reports of an appendectomy and had the agent identify where the appendectomy scar was as opposed to the branding scar from the DOS ( secret women’s “mentoring” group) initiation.

You could see the women jurors react to the photo as it was passed around but the men dis not seem anywhere near as responsive. The scar was about 4” below the hipbone and about halfway between the hipbone and the inner thigh. While any place would be painful to be branded, because of the location this would have been particularly so.

Then cam a communication detailing Cami’s reporting on her orders to have seduced a NXVIM member She commented on how she did not want to be sent back because “He was gross!”.
In being able to read the communication it appeared that part of Raniere’s trip is to see that his followers (slaves) are following his instructions to the letter. This is part of what gets him off.

On cross examination by the defense, the attorney was laying the groundwork to show that the communications were not covert for the reason that while originally taking place on “Whats app” they had been send via emails which is not encrypted. Implying that it was all out in the open. On redirect, the government showed their covert nature.

The next witness called was expert witness Dr. Dawn Achaes (not sure of the spelling of the last name). She is a forensic clinical psychologist with a very long list of credentials, they took almost a half an hour to go over. She is an expert in the areas of interpersonal violence, ie: sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence, child sex abuse and violence, PTSD, and anxiety and trauma recovery and violent relationships. She has been practicing for 21 years.

She detailed the many ways coercive control can be “incredibly damaging”.

In addition, she outlined the difference between a forensic psychologist who consults in legal matters and a clinical psychologist who works in a clinical setting. When asked she said there are less the 375 forensic psychologists in the USA and less then 25 in New York State. She has been a Qualified expert witness between 50-60 times. Her fee as a forensic psychologist is $500 an hour. She has never not been qualified.

The defense made some objections as to her qualifications and the Judge said they can make comments in their closing statements but he was not going to rule out her qualifications.

After that she moved on to empirical statistics:
20-25% of all women are victims of sexual violence.
80% of all victims know the perpetrator, most often an authority figure or family member.

Myths and misconceptions:

Most victims are pulled over in a dark alley and assaulted.
They do not report the act because they didn’t cry or complain. (due to emotional numbing).
There is not a single profile of the victim.
There is not a single profile of the perpetrator.
These crimes are under reported.
According to the FBI they are the most under reported crime there is.
Only 12-16 % of crimes get reported to law enforcement or hospitals.

Some of the explanations for why:
Let’s say it is a group like the Boy Scouts or Catholic Church, the victim might feel that reporting will bring the whole group down.
If it happens on a college campus. One might have a loss of friends, put a damper on partying.
These are well founded fears.

In the context of employment:
Because of the power dynamics, one might fear the loss of their job, no one will want to work with them, being subjected to the daily stigma of being a victim.
All of this gets magnified when someone is in a position of leadership.
One thinks “How do I reconcile that someone who is going to guide and mentor me has abused me?”

How do victims cope?:

Shock, disbelief, “what did I do?, am I to blame?, How do I understand my relationship going forward?”
The coping mechanism is to deal through avoidance.
Through disassociation, an involuntary process involving an emotional disconnect from ones feelings. Numb response.

Often times while there may be no formal reporting to law enforcement or hospitals, one may tell their friends, roommate, mom because it is too much to bear.

These coping mechanisms provide some sense of safety and a way to manage emotions.
Then there are conscious and unconscious events which may trigger the victim which are also involuntary such as a smell of liquor if it had been on their attacker’s breath or cigarette smoke, someone dressed similarly, or simply of the same race as the attacker to name just a few.
All of these coping strategies restrain one’s ability to recover.

While one may have an appearance of normalcy “the outside does not match the inside”

There is psychological damage and redirection of distress.
The disclosure of sexual assault unfolds over time due to a changing of dynamics which enable an increase of ability to report.

Publicity of these incidents fosters more reporting.

Even in reporting the victims often experience re-victimization.
Usually having memory of the assault but the details are fuzzy and memories come in flashbulb imagery.

The psychological outcomes of these incidents can be:
Anxiety, depression, PTSD, interpersonal difficulties, fear of being discredited, and potential consequences.

Because of all these one is more then likely to base one’s actions on a cost benefit analysis.

The coercive dynamics in an abusive relationship is a pattern in order to maintain power and control over an individual.

Some of the other dynamics can involve an age differential:
Older has more experience and often more financial power.

Control does not always have to be physical, it can be control via verbal means.

Gaslighting , meaning turning things upside down, suggesting that one does not know what they normally would know or perceive. Leading to one not trusting their own perceptions and judgements and in so doing made to rely on the gaslighter’s perceptions as the only ones being valid aiding to control and manipulate the victim.

Also allowing the perpetrator to establish negative consequences if there is no compliance, ie: emotional blackmail.

Other behaviors of a perpetrator include:
Treating one like a servant, surveilence, must know where the victim is all the time micro manages movements.

Intimidation or a perceived threat.

Micro managing of ones physical being, weight, exercise, invasive procedures.

This creates an atmosphere of shame and humiliation for the victim.

All of the above leads to a cumulative detrimental effect in the victim.

Throughout all of this testimony by Dr. Dawn A. ,Keith Raniere appeared to be taking it all in, like he now had a better understanding of what he had done and was appreciating the lesson. It was the first time I saw some excitement in his eyes.

Then the Dr. got into some more misconceptions like:

Why would one remain in a relationship where this is taking place?

They do not remain because they are bereft of any concerns, on the contrary they are filled with concern but often feel because they have lost a sense of self “There is nothing I can say, or do to change the situation” Confronting the perpetrator becomes a more and more dangerous proposition.

The dynamic of abuse is interspersed between abuse and kindness.
This contrast aids in building dependence. Creates a conditioned response, much like a slot machine, where one thinks “I have lost so many times, I must be about to win soon” Of course this is the gambles fallacy and the reason why the house always wins.

I have just given you a taste of her testimony. She was a very rapid speaker as are those who have a through grasp on their subject. The jury was moving their heads back and forth between her and the government attorney as if they were in a tennis match. She was speaking directly to them and it was the first time I witnessed them completely attentive.

Her cross examination though they attempted to undermine her experience I felt they were unsuccessful. They did try and point out that all coercive behavior is not always un-consensual Intimating things like rough sex and BDSM relationships.

The next witness was an attractive darkhaired young women named Nicole, slender, dressed in a white blouse and black slacks. She detailed her childhood experiences, love of the outdoors, her love of acting, her close family ties. How she traveled to London to study acting, was always wanting to better herself not in a selfish way but to part of a better society.
She did mention she had taken Landmark courses as a child ( I wondered if this might have set her up for involvement in NXVIM.)

When she heard of this program ‘THE SOURCE” and that the likes of Claire Broffman, Mark Vincente and Allison Mack were involved, she felt it was legit. They all deflected any controversial material that was out there. She said it felt weird that she should not speak to anyone about the program and the bowing and the use of the word master which she had assumed had a meaning like a great master painter or musician.

She moved to NY in 2016 and was being “mentored” by Allison Mack (groomed).

It started by doing things like drills, being awakened in the middle of the night to go for runs, dieting. Nicole was not aware at that t6ime of any sexual aspect of the group.

She felt that this Keith Raniere character was being idolized expressed her opinion but was told”Oh no, he doesn’t want that. He wants something more for all of us”.

Soon comes the time when Allison suggests that she should take the course again at a cost of $6,000 . Nicloe was working as a waitress and short on funds so Alisson gave her half of that which she later paid back. At the time she thought it was sure a lot of money.

Allison told her when she completed the course she could become a teacher which would enable her to keep 50% of all the tuition fees. Of course this was to encourage Nicole to gain more members.

She had conversations, led by Allison getting Nicole to open up about her hopes and dreams in life, her family and relationships. She asked her if she would be willing to let go of all her attachments to attain her goals.Including her family. She said “no “ and questioned why.

She was working long hours in a restaurant, not making much money, had not been in Ny for long. ( at this point her voice began to break as she continued) She felt really lonely, depressed, was thinking about her friends she had left in LA. It was a really tough time for her.

She was instructed to keep a “SOURCE” journal and a personal one and send it daily to Allison.
In the Source jornal, she told about what was occurring in her classes, how her teaching was going (she felt ashamed that she had only attained one student to teach).

At the same time in her personal journal she lamented how lonely she felt and that she felt suicidal and how she hadn’t felt like this in a long time. Some how rationalizing it in the terms of what she was learning through the Source That she felt calm about it even though it scared her as well. “But I guess knowing that it was an option felt nice.” Not making the option bad.

Allison responded to these messages saying that she was sorry she had not been attentive to Nicole and that she would come down and see her.

When Allison arrived she said she knew of something that would be a “fit” for Nicole. It was a women’s group and that it would make her feel better and “get her out of where she is now”.

Nicole felt happy after their conversation thinking that there was a way out of how she was feeling.
Allison, let her know that if she wanted more information about the group, she would have to provide some “Collateral”. The group had a mystique, and Nicole was told that after she was mentored by the women, she in turn would be able to mentor other women.

Nicole explained that she was the type of person that if someone helped her she would want to pay that forward in order to help others.

Allison said thisa had nothing to do with NXVIM.

Nicole had no understanding of what “Collateral” was.

Allison explained it was about “Getting you to think about what you heard, if you broke your word, that then it would come out”.

Nicole was told she could make either a “…sexual video or a letter that would hurt her feelings..”

She said, “It’s such a cool program and I think it is exactly what you need right now.”

At this point, Nicole has broken down crying on the stand as she continues to relate the story.
“I wanted something to be happening for me”
“ I was not thinking rationally.”
“I was up and down.” The letter was supposed to be a letter that would really hurt her family. Allison said that she had written a letter that her father had sexually abused her.

Nicole said she loved her family and had trouble writing the letters.

She continues crying through her testimony.

Allison also told her that she needed to write about other family members as well. In addition, she needed to write other letters that would embarrass her to the entertainment industry she so passionately wanted to be a part of.

She said “No one is going to see these letters except yourself.”

Nicole was thinking “Why,why,what if I die and someone found the letters.

Allison said “No one is ever going to see the letters, they are going to be locked in a box underground. Don’t you want to have someone to trust?”

Nicole thought a video would be more freeing and so did a video.

However, upon being pressed she also wrote the letters. They were to signed and placed in an envelope addressed to the people who were meant to be hurt.
They were to be sent to people her mom worked for. She eventually provided the letters.

After providing the letters Allison told her more over a dinner in the east village about the women’s empowerment group, called the “VOW”.Nicole later found out it was called DOS.

The goals of the group was to make the women stronger physically, mentally, so that one could live the life they wanted to. The Vow you make would be a lifetime commitment.

All of the members would get matching necklaces and a brand like a tattoo.

Nicole wanted all of the things she was speaking of but the lifelong commitment scared her.

Allison texted her asking if she had decided.

Nicole said yes but told her she would have preferred a call instead of a text for such a momentous decision.

She felt relieved after making the decision. She felt it would be like becoming Wonder women. She wanted to be strong to do good in the world. That’s how it sounded to her.

Nicole’s understanding was that Allison would mentor her in life so that she could become the woman she wanted to be. The women were strong and serious so that they could help people.

Part of the ritual of her joining included calling Allison master “good morning Master, Goodbye Master.”

Nicole had no idea of any sexual connotations.

Allison supplied her with a separate phone number that would go to her phone. “It was for holding secrets”, she said.

Allison started out paying a lot of attention to Nicole, lunches, trips to the museum, Nicole felt she was showing genuine concern.. She set up Nicoles first off Broadway audition and set me up with her agency for commercials.

Since Nicole had moved to NY she had been off and on Dating.

Then Allison gave her her first “assignment”. It was to not date any more. She told her it was not good for her, that she needed to work on herself and her career.

Nicole argued with her, she felt that she couldn’t understand why that would be good for her.

However, she complied.

Her 2nd assignment was to be celibate for 3 months.

She didn’t think that was weird at first. Then she met a sweet boy and wrote about it in her journal. (she had to keep journaling and sending it on a regular basis to Allison.

Allison flipped out! Nicole was like, “What did I do wrong?? He is just a friend” She felt it was a good thing.

Allison said Nicole had violated her word and that was not good, that she was not keeping her part of the bargain and that she needed to “fix it “. Nicole said “What??” she felt it was an extreme measure. But she complied.

Nicole got a new job at a nightclub, a real New York experience. She had to work nights but that seemed to work for her since she could go to auditions during the day. She was also making more money and could now pay her bills so that relieved some of the financial pressure for her.

She felt she was beginning to empower her life.

As she did, and because of the past events, she began to have thoughts that maybe DOS was not for her. She was scared. Then she decided it was not for her.

Allisons new requirement was that she let her know moment by moment what her next days plans would be.

Nicoles mom came down to New York to see her. Allison arrange to take the both of them to a play. “Blackbird” It was about a relationship that developed between a daughter and a much older man.

Later Nicole broached the subject of wanting to leave DOS. Allison said that “was not an option.” That she didn’t want to see me give up everything and that it was a life long commitment like a marriage.

Allison would not let her out no matter how hard she tried. She threatened to release the collateral explaining this was to keep her on the right path.

After that conversation with Allison Nicole realized it was now getting really scary. Just when she had been feeling stronger she began to have second thoughts. “what did I just do?”

Some where in the mix, the collateral had change from being something secret to something where if she broke her word to Allison it would be unleashed. If she ever left it would be released.

Allison wrote to het “You don’t get to question…..you will find freedom in the commitment you made…”don’t question….just do” Nicole was like a deer in the headlights.

Nicoles next assignment. Reach out to Keith Raniere. She asked “How?”

Nicole reached out to everyone she knew who might have his contacts eventually getting it and wrote him a admiring letter. Including “Thank you for saving me.”

She didn’t receive any response…..she asked Allison what to do.

Allison said, like it was a riddle or clue,”How would you get the attention of the smartest man in the world?”……….

The Government really knows when to make a commercial break

More to come. Her testimony continues tomorrow.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education."
-William Mizner
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Re: REPORT FROM THE COURTHOUSE, DAY19 NXVIM TRIAL

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Thank you JTR,

The FBI's expert witness on Sex Abuse Dr. Dawn Hughes, ..WOW... :idea: :
The next witness called was expert witness Dr. Dawn Achaes (not sure of the spelling of the last name). She is a forensic clinical psychologist with a very long list of credentials, they took almost a half an hour to go over. She is an expert in the areas of interpersonal violence, ie: sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence, child sex abuse and violence, PTSD, and anxiety and trauma recovery and violent relationships. She has been practicing for 21 years
this is so heartening to see the FBI doing its job.. :-)
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....

Return to “Keith Raniere - NXIVM”