Brain Neuroanatomy Personal Account of Consciousness TED.com

For general chit chat on RSE related topics. You are walking through the woods and come upon a group socializing around the campfire. Pull over a log to sit on and join us. Introduce yourself here! Pages 1 & 2
See&E

Brain Neuroanatomy Personal Account of Consciousness TED.com

Unread post by See&E »

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229

This video shares a scientists personal account of her stroke. As she is a professional neuroanatomist, she offers a heart-felt sharing of the difference between our left and right hemispheres of our brain.

For your consideration and contemplation. A simplified example of how various states of consciousness are sensed and processed by our body.

Enjoy!
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

That was absolutely beautiful...
Thank you See&E for posting this.

David
ex

Unread post by ex »

that beats a 1000$seminar.and all understanable in coherent clear sentenses.so jzr it is possible to edjucate people and not keeping them dumm with secret cryptic teachings.
Walk in the Park

Unread post by Walk in the Park »

for all those thousands of dollars spent on events....
pooh poohed in one incredible video, by a REAL scientist.

Now JZ, just exactly WHICH discipline gets you to LALA land?

As I see it, by CHOICE...which conveys, having all one's critical thinking skills intact.
Except, if you are UNAWARE of not having these skills intact, then how does one CHOOSE?

They can't. They follow the silly leader.....the empress without clothes
and the one opertaing like this doctor's brother: without both havles of the brain properly functioning.
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

I enjoyed this presentation too. Well done, clearly expressed and a great prop!
After her final remarks the skeptical antennae in me rose up like like a cat that just heard a familar noise.

I do not doubt this scientist's sincerity and her "God" or nirvana experience as being real. But, as some commentators on that website mentioned, Aldous Huxley's mescaline experience triggered a similar narrative.

Now I see that Jill Bolte Taylor may apear on Oprah and some folks liken her nirvana chatter to Oprah's guru-de-jour, Eckart Tolle's insights.
EG:
"I?ve been reading Eckhart Tolle?s ?A New Earth?. Now before you go shoving this book aside as more ?new age hogwash?, take a look at this TED video from Jill Bolte Taylor. Ms. Bolte Taylor is a neuro-scientist, who woke up one morning experiencing a massive hemorrhage on the left side of her brain. Being a brain scientist, she studied every moment of her experience and gives an emotional retelling of her story. Tolle?s book is a hard read, and it?s not for everyone. But this talk pretty much sums up what Tolle is talking about, and it?s pretty amazing stuff."
http://suzemuse.wordpress.com/2008/03/1 ... f-insight/

I suugest that no one be seduced by right brain vs left brain states of consciouness. That "God spot" exists in human brains but I think it is seductively useless without left brain co-consciousness. It is only one brain despite the "halves."

Joe
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

I remember seeing this video when it was news on another network. I wondered aloud to my spouse about the right/left brain issues. Kim Peeks, made famous by the movie "Rainman," has corpus agenesis of the corpus callosum, which means the group of nerves connecting the two brain hemispheres is nonexistent. Also, Kim Peek's secondary connectors (anterior commissure) are not present. (Wiki) "There is speculation that his neurons make other connections in the absence of a corpus callosum, which results in an increased memory capacity."

So what did JZebRAmthat say about the corpus callosum?

The brain is an amazing "organ." 8)
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972

Return to “Pages 1 & 2 - General Chit Chat & Social Forums”