The Story Of Chicken Little

The RSE teachings The Days To Come "TDTC" would have us believe that the world is going down the tubes with all sorts of doom & gloom.
That the Yelm area is protected.
See&E

The Story Of Chicken Little

Unread post by See&E »

http://www.geocities.com/mjloundy/

If you don't have a copy of Chicken Little in your library or home, here is one
of many links to review this parable.

Of course, if it is not exciting enough, one can always read
"The Ant & The Grasshopper"
Whatchamacallit

Huge Rebound for Wall Street, etc

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

See,

I just read an article today that I thought would fit in nicely here...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/16/markets ... 2008071617

"Huge rebound for Wall Street
Dow soars by largest margin in more than 3 months on plummeting oil prices and positive financial reports from banks and airlines.

feed://rss.cnn.com/rss/money_markets.rss

Inflation rate hits 17-year high

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks got a big bounce back Wednesday as investors welcomed encouraging news from the banking and airline sectors. Falling oil prices also helped spark a strong stock market rally.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 277 points to end the day more than 2.5% higher. Wednesday's rise marked the largest one-day increase in the Dow since April 1. The Dow rallied back after ending Tuesday at its lowest level since July 21, 2006.

The Standard & Poor's 500 (SPX) index also added 2.5%, and the tech-laden Nasdaq composite (COMP) gained 3.1%. The S&P 500 bounced back from its lowest close since Nov. 2, 2005.

The rally came despite a reading showing a jump in inflation. The Consumer Price Index, a key inflation gauge, soared 5% in the past year - the biggest annual jump in more than 17 years. Record gas and food prices helped the index jump to levels that outpaced the average annual pay increase. (Full story)

Stocks were volatile in early trade as investors were spooked by the CPI report, reflecting a knee-jerk reaction to any bad news in the continually tepid economic climate.

However, the market turned higher quickly after the open as traders absorbed several positive corporate results. Investors welcomed the news as a sign of relief on pressured markets.

"The market can't go down forever," said Harry Clark, chief executive of Capital Management Group. "Investor sentiment was so negative that any news can now be taken as a positive."

Stocks were sent even higher after oil plunged following the government's weekly stockpile report, and maintained steady gains for the remainder of the session.

"The stock market is a game of confidence, and it feels like confidence has been restored to some degree," said Robert Philips, president and chief investment officer of Walnut Asset Management. "Oil falling is obviously very helpful for that."

Investors will see if the market can sustain a run Thursday as several more bank earnings are due before the market open. Reports on housing starts, initial jobless claims and the Philadelphia manufacturing sector will also be released Thursday.

After the market close, online auction Web site eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500) announced earnings rose 22%, beating Wall Street's expectations. Shares of eBay fell 6% in aftermarket trading, however, as its third-quarter earnings forecast failed to impress investors.

Financials bounce back: Financial industry stocks rebounded strongly Wednesday morning, as some upbeat corporate results helped ease some investor concerns about the battered industry, lifting the S&P Banking Index by more than 20%. (Full Story)

"

P.S. Don't tell JZR that there is GOOD news. It doesn't fit their program.

.................Chicken Little...........
joe sz

fear and the brain

Unread post by joe sz »

I like that 'chicken little' story. Thanks for link, See&E

TDTC is a red flag for brainwashing in action. How does it work? Let's look at what Bruce Perry, M.D., Ph.D. says in The Boy Who Was Raise as a Dog [2006]. Perry is a child psychiatrist. In one chapter of his book he describes how he worked with the Waco Branch Davidian kids during and after the government siege in 1993.

"We immediately realized that we had a group of children that had essentialy been marinated in fear."

Doomsday was big talk in that group by prophet-christ-leader David Koresh and he was very good at it. Perry talks about how the brain reacts to fear that is perhaps the most primitive survival reaction we have.

"At any age, however, when people are faced with a frightening situation their brains begin to shut down their highest cortical regions first. We lose the capacity to plan, or to fell hunger, because neither are of any use to our immediate survival. Often we lose the ability to "think" or even speak durng an acute threat. We just react. And with prolonged fear there can be chronic or near-permanent changes in the brain.... This is because systems in the brain change in a "use-dependent" way.....Just like a muscle.."

Parts of the finer cortical functions are compromised and weakened, he says, when there exists a continual shadow of threat that stresses the system.

I recall in my short stint with Liz Prophet's cult how often she would "channel" drops of fear into consciousness. It is easier to influence and control a group if the leader can either point to or manufacture one crisis after another. Succumbing to that pressure, even to some degree, will change the patterns in the brain and de-energize the finer thought processes. That is what the science says. It is also what we observe in behavior.

This is a great chapter for all recovering from RSE or any fear-based cult to read, Ch 3, Stairway to Heaven.
aussiegirl

Unread post by aussiegirl »

It's funny that you mention the Chicken Little story, its the one I always refer to when my RSE partner mentions anything slight doomsdayish. My first response is "the sky is falling in, the sky is falling in" and its the one thing that actually strikes a chord with him.
Lost in Space

Doomsday predictions...

Unread post by Lost in Space »

It's like Mayor Juliani said after 9/11 - if you let such thoughts paralyze you or control your life, "they" win.

I was apalled when my RSE friend shared his belief that the next three to four years would be such a horrible time for the World that we would all need to go UG in UGs, stockpile food and water, and give up on the lives we had lived so far, because all of that would be over...it really did make me think of Chicken Little.

However, as a survivor of the Cold War era, I have heard this kind of dire future prediction before. When I was a teen, I had a boyfriend who used to keep asking me what our plan was to be in the event of a (somewhat possible at that time) nuclear war with Russia - and as I mentioned here before, vast numbers of our U.S. cousins (I am Canadian) grew up with bomb shelters in their basements and backyards.
This fatalist syndrome is not exclusive to RSE, or, cults in general.
And, look at certain social groups, like the Goths - the cult of death is alive and well.
But, I gotta live, and dwelling on the end of the World makes that less doable.
In a vague fashion, it is like this dialogue brooted about in therapeutic circles>

-"But Doctor, if I go to University now, I'll be 50 by the time I graduate."

-"How old will you be in four years if you don't go?"....

It just makes more sense to prepare myself for a long life, than it does for The End. And if The End does come, well, I will at least have lived. And I sigh when I think of the much more productive uses of their time students could have enacted if they weren't busy heading for the hills and building UGs...

Return to “RSE a Doomsday Cult”