God is god

For general chit chat on RSE related topics. You are walking through the woods and come upon a group socializing around the campfire. Pull over a log to sit on and join us. Introduce yourself here! Pages 1 & 2
ordinarymind

God is god

Unread post by ordinarymind »

I?m starting another thread to follow up on my comment that I?m still trying to figure out who or what god means to me now ?.I?ve been listening a lot lately to Joan Baez new cd ?has anyone heard it? Not sure if I quite got all the words right, but here?s what I hear when I listen to her song ?God is god?.

I believe in prophecy
Some folks see things not everybody can see
And once in a while they pass the secret along to you and me
And I believe in miracles
Something sacred burning in every bush and tree
We call all learn to sing the songs the angels sing
Yeah I believe in god, and god ain?t me

I?ve travelled around the world
Stood on might mountains and gazed across the wilderness
Never seen a line in the sand or a diamond in the dust
And as our fate unfurls
Every day that passes, I?m sure about a little bit less
Even my money keeps telling me It?s god I need to trust
And I believe in god, and god ain?t us

God in my literal understanding
Don?t care what name I call
Whether or not I believe doesn?t matter at all
I receive the blessings
That every day on earth is another chance to get it right
Let this little light of mine shine and rage against the night
Just another lesson
Maybe some one?s watching and wondering what I?ve got
Maybe this is why I?m here on earth and maybe not
But I believe in god, and god is god
tree

Unread post by tree »

interesting song by a woman who has seen ALOT of life.
I'll have to check it out.

I will wait to reply to your new thread.

I think it ought to be very good food for thought.
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

Unread post by EMFWebmaster »

Posted by California Dreamin'

I believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, which translates that God and ONLY God (not Ramtha, Lord of the Wind [yeah, right ]) is present in all places at all times, has infinite awareness and understanding of absolutely EVERYTHING that can be conceived and that cannot be conceived, and that God has the infinite and ultimate power over ALL. I believe in a loving God, in spite of worldly appearances. . . . And, I have believed this for as long as I can remember (no pun intended).

Many times at RSE I felt as if I was being taught to "overpower" God's divine plan for me. Ramtha had us behave as though we were honoring our true GOD (all those toasts), but it now appears we were being subliminally trained to replace our true GOD with Ramtha-as God.

Ramtha always put down others' teachings in which the repeating and use of affirmations was practiced, but what the heck is reciting "the list" if not repeating affirmations??? I could go on and on and on . . . .

There are many different names assigned to the One I refer to as God, but they are all one and the same God.
G2G

Unread post by G2G »

I feel this, exactly this, after all of the living, reading, experiencing...I believe as you do. If God has a "name," then perhaps it's one chosen by God. We can call God by whatever name we wish, but it's still the same Divine Essence....for one and all.....

If those lost could, for one moment, feel this. Not one is any different.

Thank you for a lovely post.
:) :) :)
"I never really understood religion - it just seemed a good excuse to give" - Ten Years After circa 1972
ordinarymind

Unread post by ordinarymind »

[quote="EMFWebmaster"]Posted by California Dreamin'

I believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, which translates that God and ONLY God (not Ramtha, Lord of the Wind [yeah, right ]) is present in all places at all times, has infinite awareness and understanding of absolutely EVERYTHING that can be conceived and that cannot be conceived, and that God has the infinite and ultimate power over ALL. I believe in a loving God, in spite of worldly appearances. quote]

Yes, I believe this too . ..I think . ..although I think I believe it in an abstract and almost intellectual way. I don?t think the belief has actually found its way into my heart yet . ? I have to admit, when I was a current student, I really believed I had a personal relationship with god, with ?my god?. . . . I talked to my god, I prayed to my god, ?and even, on r?s urging, I frequently ?commanded? my god to make things ?be so? ?you know, ?so be it? and then expecting it would happen because, after all, ?it already was? . ..oh yuk, even as I write those words I feel so much distaste welling up in me . ?distaste and yes, anger ?.I haven?t got over the anger yet . ?and it?s been nearly a year now, since I left RSE for good.

Anyway, I liked having that personal relationship with god ?it gave my life meaning and purpose ?I found comfort . . . inspiration . . . even power in that relationship and I felt loved with an unlimited, unconditional love ?or so I believed, anyway.

Last winter, before I finally left RSE, I started my morning with a good cup of coffee, sitting in the glow of the fire, listening to a cd of Coleman Barks reciting Rumi?s beautiful poetry ?.and then I ?did the cards? ?and then, as dawn came, I went outside, wrapped in woollen blankets and gridded the sky and then made some silly affirmations about always being able to see without glasses . . . or something!!! .. .. well, you all know the routine!

After leaving RSE, I couldn?t bring myself to listen to Rumi?s poetry . . . or to pray .. . or even to believe that god might exist in some way . ?I didn?t want to throw it all away, but I just didn?t know any more what I believed about god and I was afraid to base my life on a belief that might prove to crumble away, like the RSE house of cards did ?.I think, in a way, I was afraid to believe god existed because it was such a huge loss to realize that all the teachings about ?mysterious one? or ?my beloved god? came from one who I now know is a fraud.

It is only in the last month or so, that I have allowed myself to actually consider that maybe god does exist in some way .. . that maybe I can have a relationship with god ?a healthy relationship ?one that does inspire and bring hope and a deep and abiding love ?but it is still a rocky path.

The reason I posted the Joan Baez lyrics ?god is god? is that her music and those words have found a way into my heart ?and that is helping me open up again to the possibility of a personal relationship with god

Thanks for listening
tree

Unread post by tree »

I believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, which translates that God and ONLY God (not Ramtha, Lord of the Wind [yeah, right ]) is present in all places at all times, has infinite awareness and understanding of absolutely EVERYTHING that can be conceived and that cannot be conceived, and that God has the infinite and ultimate power over ALL.
I am not even at this point yet.

I was taught this same concept as a Methodist growing up (then the pastor was misappropriating funds and sleeping with the church secretary :shock: ).
Same "Ramtha is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent," and everything else under the sun, including the wind.

Prior to finding Ramtha Dialogues in 1986, what I had read in the Masters of the Far East, etc, had eluded to god is all things, everywhere.
or at least, that is what I got from that. And that ascending masters were more common than I had thought :oops:

My multi-lingual genius immigrant of a grandfather was a true atheist, and right now, I wish he were alive so I could have some thoughtful
conversations with him about this topic. He was a voracious reader of Lenin, Marx, Einstein, Max Plank, you name it. Googlging atheism is not quite the same as having a conversation with someone who is a true atheist.
After leaving RSE, I couldn?t bring myself to listen to Rumi?s poetry . . . or to pray .. . or even to believe that god might exist in some way . ?I didn?t want to throw it all away, but I just didn?t know any more what I believed about god
My empathies with you about Rumi's poetry. An association with your version of "creating your day."

This whole topic is going to take some pondrering. I just don't have any pat answers for myself.

When I hear things like "laws of attraction" or crap from Eckahart Tolle, it brings up quite the quesy feeling.
I think all marketing gimmicks/cults. self help (destructive) groups are pretty much preying on what comes naturally to humans :
they are driven, each personally, by something
that might bring them meaning to their life. Whether it be Bill Gates founding Microsoft or Salma Hyek
belieiiving she is worth more than the 50K Coke was offering her for her ad ( I am serious here) or whether
your desire is to be the the greatest mother to 20 children. Everyone seems 'pulled' by something that would fulfill
their heart ,life and desire, even if that means you are Kurt Cobain writing emo songs and in the end,
dying at the very hands of the music and ways which drove you.

And speaking of 'being pulled', I am NOT counting all the bs stories by Rambles that "you were such and such in your last life time"
and "you had unfinished business as so and so so your propensities are x in this lifetime" and "here, let me match-make you with
gentelman y so you can be absolved of your victimized past here" in one fell swoop (thinking specifically of Vicky Cady here, the reasoning
for Daryl to marry her..... or for Lady Cosmos to hook up with Fred L. or for Gary C to over come the wroughts of his father
by marrying some beyotch Laura and having 2 sons to overcome that past with his father, etc and bs ad infinitum)

I shall stop here as the entire topic is segued into rambling, ridiculous examples of teachings. No wonder wine ceremonies
can go on for so long
:roll: :twisted:

I am enjoying reading the posts here. Nice food for thought. Thank you.
Whatchamacallit

Unread post by Whatchamacallit »

Tree, I have an attorney friend who lives nearby that was raised Jewish. His wife is a devout born-again Christian. They raise their kids with both traditions, although he is a "devout" atheist and has been for about 20 years now. Him and I have had some interesting conversations. Because I will entertain many things, though I may not agree with them, I looked into atheism as a philosophy and was curious as to what leads a person to adopt such a belief as a Godless existence. They do have some convincing points.

However, for myself at this time, I still do believe there is a God. Not to say that I believe God is micromanaging our lives. I don't.

Then again, I don't have the driven-ness that I used to have, "wanting to know". Nor do I feel that I need to latch on to something and be convinced that my belief system is The Belief System.

There's too much of that in the world, already.

It's all interesting. Life sure is a trip !
Wakeup-Call

Unread post by Wakeup-Call »

I'm exploring the Unitarian Universalist church... part of a community but you get to decide for yourself what you believe. Their principles and sources really resonate with me.

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

1) The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2) Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3) Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4) A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5) The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6) The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7) Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

1) Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
2) Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
3) Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
4) Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
5) Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
6) Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.
Wakeup-Call

Unread post by Wakeup-Call »

Abigail Adams (wife of founding father John Adams) asked her daughter in a letter...

When will Mankind be convinced that true Religion is from the Heart, between Man and his creator, and not the imposition of Man or creeds and tests?
Whatchamacallit

Wakeup posted, "Abigail Adams (wife of founding father John Adams) asked her daughter in a letter...

When will Mankind be convinced that true Religion is from the Heart, between Man and his creator, and not the imposition of Man or creeds and tests?"

WOW, Wakeup !

Go, Abigail.

It's interesting ~ when I read that, I thought about how for generations, as Tree alluded to her prior post, also, people have grappled with this whole notion of existence, and the purpose of life as we know it (at least).

There is a male lurker to EMF that I've been emailing back and forth with. He doesn't post, isn't registered, and contacted me because he has heard of RSE, but he had red flags. LOL...ask ME if you should go ? I told him why I could not nor would not recommend to anyone that they go. But, that was a minor part of our chat.

This person has struggled with ... this and that, in life.

I said to him, "My opinion is that when it's all said and done, life is about LOVE."

Not to sound trite, but if one really thinks about what that really means, it's something that, if we all realized it and lived it, would change the world. Fast.

I have yet to meet a human being, any human being, that deserves for me to give them the responsibility to teach me, or evolve me, in my spiritual life. They just don't have the credentials in human form to take on a Godly task.
Whatchamacallit

Wakeup,

There is a U.U. church not far from me. I don't go there only because I'm done with such groups. However, I will say that it was a nice group of people. Probably the friendliest, relaxed bunch I've crossed paths with.

I know the U.U.'s have a lot of leeway from which they can each set up their purpose, mission statements, etc. The one I went to on/off for a little while just to check it out, was impressive in that, similar to what you posted, they would address RELIGIONS, not preach "my way is the right way and here is why you need to get that". It was more educational in scope, whereby many different people would lead the service, and talk about assorted religions and their view of God. They didn't bash homosexuality, which to somebody in particular I know, it was important (she's gay and actually, another friend whose brother is gay).

If it's anything like where I live, each U.U. is fairly unique in and of itself. I know of one that is actually a pagan U.U. that I have heard about. It seems like an oxymoron to have "pagan" and "church" in the same title. But, it's been in existence for quite some time and is going strong. I have friends who go there, though it's not around where I live. I wouldn't go, anyway.

I hope you have a GOOD experience as you're checking it out.

At least it's highly unlikely you'll get into a power struggle with a fellow parishioner over which of the gazillion versions of the Bible is THE RIGHT ONE. LOL !!! They are far more tolerant than that !
Another Dimension60

Unread post by Another Dimension60 »

"disclaimer":the following is offered simply with the intention of sharing something I found interesting and encouraging and spoke to my heart - i.e. not promoting a point of view. There's an online radio station called Speaking of Faith that offers free listening interviews with people from a diversity of "faiths"/Spiritual Ways, ethnicity, profession etc. I recently heard an interview there with Abraham Joshua Heschel. I'd never heard of him although he was prominent in the 60's as a Rabbi who stood with Martin Luther King, and later protested against the Viet Nam war. He can describe religions as "irrelevant, dull, oppressive, and insipid" ... and as others I consider true teachers/spiritual 'leaders', calls each person to look beneath/beyond the human garbaging of their particular 'religious' background and find its Truth. What I like about what he says is that he can see the common thread that runs throughout all true Spiritual Ways - which can be a plume line, so to speak, to evaluate the validity of presentations of "truth" by such as JZ/Ramtha. ... speakingoffaith.com

Return to “Pages 1 & 2 - General Chit Chat & Social Forums”