Mark Vicente RSE - NXIVM' (ESP)

NXIVM Cult - Keith Raniere found guilty -Lawsuits - Recovery
These forums are open for discussion and exchange of views.
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Unread post by David McCarthy »

Hi Joe, everyone,

As we know...former and current RSE members have been recruited into the ESP 'Executive Success Programs Inc' cult,
with Mark Vicente :-? "What the Bleep fame" leading the way.
recently I meet several former members of ESP who would very much like to make public the truth about this organization.
there are many parallels to RSE.... the number one..... being deception at its core leading to the destruction of innocent peoples livelihoods, sanity and lives.

Joe,
have you helped any former members exited from this group?
Any information will be much appreciated...

David.

Pulled from the original EMF forum.....
Posted by Joe Szimhart Oct 1, 2007

ESP 'Executive Success Programs'
another version of a malignant lgat. This one attracts some super wealthy folks [money don't make skeptical brains] and contributes large sums to Hillary Clinton campaign:

NXIVM'S VEXING EFFECT ON BELIEVERS
By JEANE MacINTOSH
New York Post
October 1, 2007 -- His followers bow in his presence and call him "Vanguard."
His detractors square off with him in court and call him a manipulative "brainwasher" who wrecks lives with his "extremely dangerous," "cult-like" group.
Keith Raniere, leader of an Albany-based organization called NXIVM (pronounced nex-e-um), has built a lucrative empire with his Executive Success Programs.
NXIVM, run by Raniere, 47, and President Nancy Salzman, a 52-year-old registered nurse, claims to pull in at least $4 million a year. Big-name devotees like Seagram heiresses Clare and Sara Bronfman back Raniere - and "The Family," as insiders call the group - despite his checkered past.
In the 1990s, the Brooklyn-born Raniere, son of New York adman and fund-raiser James Raniere, shuttered a multimillion-dollar marketing firm after authorities in several states alleged that it was an illegal pyramid scheme.
Today, devotees shell out as much as $7,500 to attend NXIVM's 16-day motivational seminars, called "intensives," where they are coached using Raniere's patented behavior-modification "technology."
Members, or "ESPians," also bow to Salzman, called "Prefect," and refer to nonbelievers to as "parasites" or "suppressives."
Some who have left have turned against NXIVM and divulged its "secret" policies - only to find themselves mired in years of litigation with Raniere and Salzman.
In published accounts, ex-members and mental-health professionals call NXIVM a "cult-like" group that uses sensory deprivation, "brainwashing" and other mind-bending tactics - sometimes to the point of psychological breakdowns.
jeane.macintosh@nypost.com
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10012007/ne ... believ.htm

more on NIXVM:
"HILLARY'S $30,000 FANS ARE HER 'CULT' FOLLOWING
By CHARLES HURT and JEANE MacINTOSH
New York Post
October 1, 2007 -- A purported pyramid-scheme operator who was run out of Arkansas when Bill Clinton was governor has reinvented himself as the head of an upstate group accused of being a "cult" - and his devotees have pumped thousands into Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential run.
Executives and top associates of the Albany-based NXIVM group - along with their family members - donated $29,900 to Clinton's presidential campaign, according to federal records.
On March 14 and April 13, records show, more than a dozen contributions poured into Clinton's coffers from NXIVM, an executive and group-awareness training organization led by Brooklyn-born Keith Raniere, 47.
Most were from first-time political donors, each giving the $2,300 maximum.
The revelation comes on the heels of the arrest of Norman Hsu, who raised $1.5 million in campaign contributions for the Clintons and other Democrats, even though he was technically a fugitive from fraud charges in California.
Hsu jumped bail in early September but was nabbed and is currently locked up in California.
In his previous incarnation, the Svengali-like Raniere ran a $30 million multilevel marketing business that imploded after federal agencies and regulators in 23 states alleged it was an illegal pyramid scheme.
He has managed to attract famous names to NXIVM.
Three of the March and April Clinton pledges came from Raniere's most high-profile followers: Seagram heiresses Clare and Sara Bronfman, and Pamela Cafritz, daughter of D.C. A-listers Buffy and Bill Cafritz.

Cafritz shares a condo with Raniere.
The Bronfman sisters are also deeply involved with NXIVM and, according to a 2003 article in Forbes magazine, have loaned millions to the group and provided use of their jet. Their father, Edgar Bronfman Sr., once took NXIVM classes but soon severed ties, telling Forbes, "It's a cult."
The Clinton campaign downplayed the significance of the NXIVM-related contributions.

"Over 100,000 people from across the country have contributed to Sen. Clinton's campaign for change, and regardless of who supports her, she will always continue to stand up for what she feels is right," said campaign spokesman Blake Zeff.

Hillary isn't the only Clinton NXIVM officials are attracted to.
At least three of them - group President Nancy Salzman and the Bronfman sisters - are members of Bill's charitable organization, the Clinton Global Initiative. Membership is by invitation only and requires at least a $15,000 donation per person for one year.
NXIVM spokesman Frank Roberts told The Post the organization doesn't have a presidential candidate it is officially backing.
Last month, the Albany Times Union reported that NXIVM associates gave $31,600 to the state Republican Senate Campaign Committee and provided $34,763 worth of air transportation.
The recent campaign contributions led one close observer of NXIVM to speculate that the group is trying to curry favor for its effort to expand training centers upstate.
In the 1990s, several states investigated the Raniere-run Consumer Buyline Inc., a marketing firm in which members were paid commissions for recruiting new members.
A 1992 Arkansas lawsuit filed by Bill Clinton's then-attorney general, Winston Bryant, charged Raniere, Cafritz and two others with fraud and business deception. Soon after, then-New York AG Robert Abrams sued CBI, branding it "illegal."
Raniere didn't admit wrongdoing, but agreed to pay hefty fines in both states.
After closing the Albany-based CBI, he became involved in a health-food and vitamin venture that led him to Salzman. Sharing a passion for motivational training, the pair launched NXIVM.
At NXIVM - according to court papers, cult watchdogs and relatives of members - Raniere has defrauded devotees, shattered families and drove at least one person to suicide.
After four months attending NXIVM's expensive, "intensive" studies, Alaska resident Kristin Marie Snyder grew angry, depressed and irrational.
In winter 2003, she disappeared. Her family believes she drowned herself. Her body was not recovered. Snyder was last seen leaving a NXIVM course, and police released a note she left behind.
"I was brainwashed and my emotional center of the brain was killed/turned off," Snyder scrawled in a spiral notebook.

churt@nypost.com
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10012007/ne ... htm?page=0

Posted by Terra Oct 1, 2007

wow, this is where Mark Vicente "hopped" to after Ramtha. I suspected it was bad news, but didn't look into it, just politely declined to check it out when invited by Sara Bronfman.
Posted by Jenna Oct 1, 2007

..and Linda Evans, and Linda's (sister) aka "Charles, according to "R",)
and Cynthia Schmier ( and her husband),
and a few more......
Original EMF link...
http://pub43.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 0&cmd=show
But he has nothing on at all, cried at last the whole people....
Caterpillar

Unread post by Caterpillar »

Hello David

It is unfortunate for RSE members to join another group that is as destructive. One RSE type experience is more than enough!!!
I was browsing these web sites that may be of interest.
Mark Vicente seems to be defending the group and his involvement, Apr 2008:
http://forum.rarb.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 275eb7c0de
April 16, 2009

World Ethical Foundations Consortium, Sponsor of the Dalai Lama?s Visit to Albany, Adds Two Spokespersons To Its Committee. One With Connection to Ramtha Cult.
April 16, 2009 9:32am Update: The Dalai Lama?s website is now listing the website of the World Ethical Foundations Consortium as the contact website for his May 6 visit to the Palace Theatre in Albany.
The World Ethical Foundations Consortium, which has been criticized for its connection to Keith Raniere and NXIVM Corporation and is still the sponsor of the Dalai Lama?s rescheduled visit to Albany?s Palace Theatre on May 6, has added two event spokespersons to its event organizing committee.
The first spokesperson, Edgar Boone, has been responsible for the success of Executive Success Programs, part of NXIVM, in Mexico.
The second spokesperson, Mark Vicente, has been associated with another NXIVM venture, A Cappella Innovations. Here is what he had to say about Keith Raniere, founder of all the above organizations, in an online forum.

I've known Keith Raniere for about three years now. I am very fortunate to call him my friend. George Lucas had Joseph Campbell as a mentor and I am fortunate enough to have Keith as an adviser in my filmmaking endeavors. When I first met Keith I was very careful and skeptical of him. One of the problems for me (which turned out to be an asset) was that he was not authoritative and yet people were saying a number of great things about him. But he just acted like a normal guy.?

Before his association with Keith Raniere, Mark Vicente was associated with Ramtha or Ramtha School of Enlightenment, which like NXIVM, has been criticized for having cult like characteristics. Upstream was unable to ascertain if Vicente is still part of Ramtha, although if Vicente has left Ramtha, it had to be quite recently.

Mark Vicente was one of the directors of a Ramtha sponsored film, What the #$*! Do We (K)now!? aka What the Bleep Do We (K)now or What the Bleep Do We Know. The film was attacked by many scientists for what they believed was an inaccurate portrayal of quantum physics. It was attacked by reviewers as a propaganda piece for Ramtha School of Enlightenment.

The Ramtha School of Enlightenment bases its teaching on Judy Z. ?J.Z.? Knight?s claims to channel 35,000-year-old spirit ?Ramtha.? She played a large part in actress Shirley MacLaine?s book, Dancing in the Light.

There are now five members of the event committee of the World Ethical Foundations Symposium, which is bringing the Dalai Lama to the Palace Theatre in Albany on May 6, 2009. Three of them are part of NXIVM. One has a connection with NXIVM and Ramtha, and the fifth member is assoicated with the Dalai Lama.

http://upstreamzine.wordpress.com/2009/ ... mtha-cult/

Sir Richard Branson is listed as one of the benefactors in ?A Cappella Innovations? site.

http://www.acappellainnovations.com/aca ... branson.ph
p
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Hi Caterpillar,

As usual... Thank You for your excellent research and posts...:D
Mark Vicente seems to be defending the group and his involvement, Apr 2008:
http://forum.rarb.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 275eb7c0de
From what i understand about Mark Vicente, he is a key player within the E$P organization.
I read Marks post with interest, what was glaringly obvious to me, and true to form with all "spokespersons" supporting and representing
deceptive/destructive organizations "labeled a Cult or not...!" is their smooth talking bull---t ability to paint themselves as Snow White saints
while directing the conversation to some great emotional travesty elsewhere in the world that is nothing more than a classic "Red Herring" ruse.....
to divert the attention away from answering the valid criticism and accusation from former members of ESP
who are speaking out publicly and asking for ACCOUNTABILITY from this organization.
Hey Mark.....
if you happen to read my comments, how about a video interview for EMF? please Email me at: enlightenmefree@gmail.com
I promise not to edit your interview footage "as you did with the "David Albert WWB interview" in such a way to completely suppress and distort his actual views :-?
David Albert, the professor from the Columbia University physics department who was featured in the film, is quoted in Salon.com saying:
Quote:
I was edited in such a way as to completely suppress my actual views about the matters the movie discusses. I am, indeed, profoundly unsympathetic to attempts at linking quantum mechanics with consciousness. Moreover, I explained all that, at great length, on camera, to the producers of the film ... Had I known that I would have been so radically misrepresented in the movie; I would certainly not have agreed to be filmed.

"Bleep" of faith - Page 2 - Salon.com
http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/ ... ndex1.html
Mark and Judith have much in common :oops:

David.
Caterpillar

Hi David

I was impressed with Keith Raniere's self-proclaimed credentials. He sounds super intelligent, almost too good to be true. One psychopathic experience is enough for me... I wonder why Keith named the company "Nexium" (in pronounciation). May be one needs to take Nexium (reduces stomach acid) after the experience.

I was reading about the Dalai Lama and his association with cults including "Nexium" at Cult News from Rick Ross.

At the May 6 event:

"Raniere did come on stage briefly at the end to receive a khata (Tibetan scarf) from the Dalai Lama.

But only after the mayor got his (photo above) first.

The scarf wasn't all Mr. Raniere walked away with from the event.

CultNews has learned that as Vanguard entered the venue he was served with papers regarding a lawsuit.

This wasn't the recognition he wanted, but Raniere has been sued quite a few times and seems to almost enjoy litigation."

http://www.cultnews.com/?cat=49
David McCarthy
Site Admin

A Critical Analysis of the Executive Success Programs Inc.

February 12, 2003
By Paul Martin, Ph.D.
Director of Wellspring Retreat

Note: Wellspring Retreat & Resource Center is a licensed residential treatment facility that provides a program of counseling and instruction to victims of cultic abuse, religious abuse and/or thought reform.

Executive Success Programs Inc. by Keith Raniere is a series of high intensity high demand work shops that are designed to "actualize human potential"1 A selection of promotional material dated 1/30/2001, entitled "Executive Success Programs. Inc, (ESP)" reads, "Our School is designed to change the way people think, make decisions, react, and perform in various [areas?] of life.......All of ESP's programs are designed to help individuals develop the emotional and intellectual skills necessary to reach their maximum potential in all areas of life. Rational Inquiry is a science based on the belief that the more consistent a person is in their thinking, the more successful the individual will be."

In the same promotional sheet, there is a paragraph entitled "Why should I so this?" - meaning why should a person take ESP? Raniere writes, "All adults have disintegrations because when we were children learning to be adults and learning about the world our perspective was based on the perception, intellect, and wisdom of a small child. These lessons become the foundation of our whole adult reality. There has never been vehicle in our society that allowed us to go through and re-examine these beliefs and re-incorporate them now from an adult perspective.....until now. Rational Inquiry is that vehicle. It is the systematic introspective science that provides us with the necessary tools for human transformation."

A key motto of ESP is "We Teach everything nobody else teaches..." and everything they do2 ESP claims that students will reach "their full potential" with the program.3 Raniere claims to have devised a "radical new technology to create an unprecedented success program. It is a total personal and professional development system."4

ESP can be further defined by looking at the 12 Point Mission Statement of ESP.5The first point is, "Success is an internal state of clear, honest knowledge of what I am - my value in the world and my responsibility for the way I react to all things." The second point is, "There are no ultimate victims, therefore, I will not choose to be a victim." The information gleaned from ESP seminars is to be kept confidential. There is a pledge to purge oneself of all parasite and envy based habits. There is a pledge to control as much of the money of the world as possible within each student's success plan. In fact, it is essential for the survival of the world for as much money of the world to be controlled by ethical people - by implication, graduates of ESP. The mission statement says, "A world of successful people will be people a better world indeed a world devoid of hunger, theft, dishonesty, envy and insecurity. People will no longer try to destroy each other steal from each other down each other or rejoice at another's demise. Success ethics and integrity are co-inspirational. I pledge to share and enroll people in ESP and its mission for myself and to help make the world a better place to live."6

In a workshop session called "Mission," the reader is further enlightened as to the purposes of ESP.

How does understanding ESP'S integrated matrix help us determine destructive patterns of human behavior and give us clues as to what is to come? We are now at the highest level of technological advancement in human history. The lifestyle current technology affords us has never existed before on the planet. Human civilization has had rises and falls for centuries; yet, it is our belief humanity cannot survive another fall. All members of the human team must understand the historic reasons behind this tendency so we can change it and survive. We believe this is the ultimate cause because it means our existence and all other causes and our existence depend on this knowledge. The Mission of ESP is to develop an integrated ethical framework of human experience to stop the destruction of value in the world and move humanity forward. This practice session explains ESP's mission and gives students a clear knowledge of how and why to act to change historic trends.7

ESP Training is offered through workshops called "Intensives."8 The term "Intensive" is fairly common in the human potential movement to describe their training courses. ESP Intensives are offered as a three day or weekend, 5-Day, or 16-Day Intensive. The 16-Day course starts at 8 am to 9 pm daily with lunch and dinner breaks and breaks. Tuition cost is $7500.00 or $6000.00 if paid two weeks in advance. Full tuition must be paid first day of class.

The 5-Day Intensive. Cost is $2700.00. Pre-registration discount is $2160.00. Full amount must be paid two weeks before class resumes. Class hours are the same as those for the 16-Day Intensive.

The 3-Day Intensive: Friday 4-10, Saturday, 8 AM to 9 PM, Sunday 9 AM to 6 PM. Tuition $1200.00. Full tuition must be paid two weeks before Intensive starts.

There is also an Ethos Training for Coaches and Coach Apprentices. This program appears to be offered beyond the 16 day intensives. There are several levels of lengths of enrollment and the cost varies according to time of enrollment from 3 to 12 months and from $800 to $1800. There is a full refund guarantee for those signing up for the one year Ethos program if students are not satisfied.

Students also are required to wear sashes which signify rank. A white sash reflects student status, stripes reflect levels of certification and practice. Yellow sashes are worn by an Apprentice Coach/Coach. Having one stripe signifies a true coach. Two or Three Stripes indicate more advanced and experienced coaches. Three stripes is an active contributor. Four stripes indicates "Full Integration facilitated." Orange Sash: Apprentice Proctor/Proctor. Coach Certification II. Orange Sash is the highest sash rank. 9

ESP Intensives then lay out the mechanics of how the student is to achieve all the success promised by ESP. This process is accomplished through a series of topics presented during the "Intensive" sessions. Raniere places great emphasis on the psychological concept of projection. However, according to ESP "until now there has never been a concise explanation of how this complex process works."10 The Intensive includes the three stages of human evolution in which, according to Raniere, human beings are born parasitic, unable to take care of themselves, they depend on others for their very survival." As adults parasite strategies, "keep people dependent on others and lower self esteem."11 Many examples of parasite behavior are presented, such as complaining about pain and suffering, saying, "I'm hungry," "I know I promised but I had no idea how hard or painful this was going to be." The point here according to ESP is that parasites try to avoid responsibility simply because they tried so hard.12

The program spells out a new version of "Good and Bad." Here is a sampling from the workshop

When we were little children, we learned "bad" when someone yelled "No!" or "That's bad. Stop!" We learned "good" when we were rewarded in some way. This sort of learning is inconsistent and limiting - because in order to have a full understanding of each concept, we would have to examine every example of good and every example of bad. This practice session affords you the opportunity to re-evaluate your definitions of these vital concepts to form a solid foundation for the future.13

In the course of the program normal terms such as good and bad are redefined. Good becomes pro survival, and bad counter survival or destructive of value. Rules according to ESP are fear based and ethics are internalized.

ESP then adds the element of a motivational track where students are taught and practice certain motivational states such as "Toward" which is patterns that "focus directly on goals and objectives. When people are utilizing toward patterns, their effort and attention moves them to have, get, obtain and achieve something asa result of desire."14

Other concepts covered in the motivation section include, "Away From," patterns that "focus directly on circumstances to avoid....."; "trigger," " a stimulus response mechanism.....used to bring back the emotional state.....the motivational state at will."15
Analysis

ESP makes some bold and unique claims about what it wants to accomplish and what it is. In summary the following list presents many of the salient points of the ESP program.

1. It is designed to "help individuals develop the emotional and intellectual skills necessary to reach their maximum potential in all areas of life."16
2. ESP is a "science based on the belief that the more consistent a person is in their thinking, the more successful the individual will be."17
3. "All adults have disintegrations because when we were children learning to be adults and learning about the world our perspective was based on the perception, intellect, and wisdom of a small child."18
4. "There has never been a vehicle in our society that allowed us to go through and re-examine these beliefs and re-incorporate them now from an adult perspective - until now. Rational Inquiry is that vehicle. It is the systematic introspective science that provides us with the necessary tools for human transformation"19
5. "There are no ultimate victims."20
6. "The information gleaned from ESP Seminars is to be kept confidential."21
7. "There is a pledge to control as much of the money of the world as possible within each student's success plan. In fact it is essential for the survival of the world for as much money of th world to be controlled by ethical people."22
8. "It is our belief that humanity cannot survive another fall. All members of the human team must understand the historic reasons behind this tendency so we can change it and survive. We believe this is the ultimate cause because it means our existence and all other causes and our existence depend on this knowledge. The Mission of ESP is to develop an integrated ethical framework of human experience to stop the destruction of value in the world and move humanity forward. This practice session explains ESP's mission and gives students a clear knowledge of how and why to act and to change historic trends." 23

The first point of analysis deals with a claim that ESP will provide the tools, or training that will help people reach their maximum potential in all areas if life. What does this mean? What is maximum potential? Are There scientific measures for maximum potential? Does "all areas of life" extend to health benefits? Would those taking the training have less cancer, less heart disease? Do ESP graduates have better marriages, happier children? The point is that the use of the phrase "all areas of life" and "maximum potential" appear promising but the phrases demand defining, otherwise they are phrases without practical, concrete application.

Further, how does Raniere know? What evidence has he provided? Having hotel conference rooms filled with happy attendee is not "proof" that the program has achieved maximum potential in all areas of life. It may be proof that there are people in the room. Some may be happy to be there, some may want to leave, some may have benefitted in some areas of their lives, some may have seen decline in aspects in other areas of their lives. The point is that the area is open to empirical investigation, but there are no independent studies demonstrating that ESP can support these claims.

The second point is the claim that ESP is a science. Raniere says it is, but that does not make it so. Science must meet certain requirements. There is nothing in the published scientific literature about ESP nor has an exhaustive search of the psychological literature base shown any publications by Keith Raniere.24

The third area for analysis concerns the fact that adults have perceptual distortions, "disintegrations" developed from childhood. He too was a child and was likewise a casualty of perceptual distortions. This presents a problem for Raniere. How did he overcome these distortions? By what measure would one judge that Raniere is free of the distortions? How did Raniere know there were distortions? How does Raniere know that every child suffers from these distortions? Did he do a study of every child on earth? Such a study is clearly impossible. Therefore, how does he know this truth? Unfortunately, the workshop participant appears to have to accept these claims by faith. But this faith is a far cry from the scientific claims of ESP that Raniere asserts.

The fourth area is an extension of the third, namely, that not only do all humans have distortions or disintegrations but no one has ever developed a mechanism to examine these disintegrations and correct them. Again, the attendee must rely on Raniere's word alone. Of course, one must assume the truth of the disintegrations to then assume that Raniere has also scanned all the "vehicles in our society" to see if any one group, individual or system has re-examined the faulty beliefs or disintegrations held by the world's masses. Raniere apparently has provided no evidence that he has done such an analysis. And if he has it would be a monumental undertaking.

Number five, maintains that "There are no ultimate victims." What does this mean? How far do we take human responsibility? Is a raped woman somewhat responsible for her rape? Is a battered wife somewhat responsible for her battering? Is an employee subject to a mean, dishonest, boss somehow not a victim? Are slaves in some manner not victims? Are those hit and hopelessly crippled by a drunk driver not victims? Are those accidently paralyzed by the slip of a surgeon's knife not victims? What does Raniere have to say to this? The normal definition of victim, according to the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language, is "a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime or accident. 2. A person who is tricked or duped." Common observation teaches that there are victims. ESP appears to make victimhood seem as unnatural as sensing the brisk chill on one's cheeks on the morning of the first autumn frost.

The sixth area of analysis concerns the need to keep the ESP material confidential, and by extension invite people to attend to ESP Intensives where they pay to receive this information. Certainly, Mr. Raniere has intellectual property rights if he so desires. Most of his material has a patent pending and copyright on the bottom of the printed materials. He certainly has the right for his students not to distribute the material, copy it, or sell it. But the ESP Mission Statement says,

"The methods and information I learn in ESP are for my use only. I will not speak of them, or in any way give others knowledge of them, outside ESP. Part of the condition of being accepted into ESP is to keep all its information confidential. If I violate this I am breaking a promise and breaching my contract, but more importantly I am compromising my inner honesty and integrity."

This segment of the Mission segment appears to stretch beyond the intent of what might be covered by copyright and intellectual property rights. The confidentiality issue seems to approach a gag order. Why? What is the harm in some general discussion about your workshop. In fact, what would be the harm if you have invested so much time in these Intensives and share some general observations about them with your wife, mother, or boss? The prohibition on sharing may serve as a wedge between those who have taken the courses and those who have not. This confidentiality issue may put pressure on people to enroll loved ones just so they can talk again. Perhaps the actual answer is not as important as the question "Why? Why is it necessary?" It would seem that some of the pressure on the copyright issue would be taken off if Raniere published some tapes, wrote a few articles, or wrote a book. Then people could blab all they wanted about his book, the tapes, articles, etc. And it would answer the nagging question "Why?" But if Raniere isn't interested is selling tapes, then there may be a problem elsewhere.

Number seven is simply breathtaking, that ESP graduates need to make as much money as possible and control as much money as possible in order to save the world from destruction. A modest proposal, and a humble one as well! History has shown that the ethic of seeking wealth is a risky one at best, especially one that tells us to control as much as possible, as much of the wealth in the world! Power corrupts! Wealth also tends to corrupt. How did Raniere, a la "Vanguard," divine such truth? On face value any proposal that suggests that a group of graduates from a human potential seminar should control as much money, wealth, and resources of the world as possible in order to save the world seems to come leaping out of the pages of a James Bond novel! Here Bond is summoned by M and a file is given to him about a madman - a Keith Raniere who has trained over 400,000 followers who are now rapidly accumulating most of the world's wealth. ESP followers have plans on "controlling as much of the wealth, money and resources of the world as possible." I am sure someone of importance will look at Raniere. His claims are not benign. Either they must be taken seriously, that is he has developed a science and therefore he must come up with the corresponding proof. So far he has not. Or he is the leader of one of the largest human potential growth enterprises, devoid of scientific proof. If his claims are bogus then it is likely that he is a person with a serious mental problem and/or a con man with very grand and perhaps not so benevolent schemes.

Number eight continues with the seventh theme, "It is our belief that humanity cannot survive another fall. All members of the human team must understand the historic reasons behind this tendency so we can change it and survive. We believe this is the ultimate cause because it means our existence and all other causes and our existence depend on this knowledge. The Mission of ESP is to develop an integrated ethical framework of human experience to stop the destruction of value in the world and move humanity forward. This practice session explains ESP's mission and gives students a clear knowledge of how and why to act and to change historic trends."25

The same arguments and analysis applied to number seven applies to number eight. However, not only is ESP interested in wealth and power, the knowledge that ESP possesses is essential for the survival of humanity! What Moses and all true prophets throughout the ages of human history could not do, Raniere claims he can do. It now it appears that Raniere has developed an ethical framework "to stop the destruction of value in the world and move humanity forward." This appears nothing short of a religion, a system that has answers to the problems of life.

Some meta analysis is in order. The Mission and the other promotional material that I have cited from ESP bear two similarities to other types of groups. First, Dr. Robert J. Lifton describes a concept he calls "sacred science". ESP is portrays the characteristics of the "sacred science" in the following ways.26

First there is the "ultimate moral vision for the ordering of human existence." Then, there seems to be little room for questioning of basic assumptions. Raniere cleverly redefines "cult" in an attempt to deflect questions about his organization. Next there is a demand in sacred science for a "reverence for the originators of the Word." A comparison with the readings of ESP can clearly see the emphasis paid on "Tribute" and especially tribute to "vanguard." Sacred science makes the claim of airtight scientific precision, and ESP also makes the claim that it too is scientific. Here we have with ESP the idea that Raniere's moral vision can be true for all men for all times, a true sacred science that, according to Raniere, is a scientific discovery.

The similarities between ESP and a sacred science continue to the individual level. There is the promise of personal growth and success. Again, the possibility for genuine insight and inner discovery is held out to the seeker. And this experience of genuine inner transformation clouds the reality that the overarching truth of the movement is not based on some logic and science that is going to change the course of history. ESP has created a system so broad that within the system there is no thought or area that cannot be adequately covered by some principle. And that is exactly like a sacred science, "there is no thought or action which cannot be related to it."27

The teaching and practices of the workshop contain elements that correspond to the eight themes of thought reform as described by Lifton, of which the "sacred science" is just one. The materials from several Intensives were examined, including those from 1/30/2001, 12/2000, 1/2001, 2/2001, 4/2001, 5/2001, 6/2001 and 7/20001. The specific examples are individually referenced.

So far we have presented evidence showing that ESP has characteristics that are consistent with the themes of thought reform. What then are some of the consequences of those subject to thought reform programs? Lifton observed certain clinical symptoms in the subjects he studied. For example: borderline psychotic state, split identity, fear (p. 33), confusion (p. 34), feeling neglected, hostile, suspicious, critical, lonely, missing communism - yet terrible ambivalence about it (pp. 35,36), lifestyle changes (p. 39). Other symptoms include inability to distinguish the real from the unreal (p. 45), an attack on one's sense of inner identity, a confession process of expelling the old self and allowing the group to re-educate the person.(pp. 67,68). In such environments people become guilty, they feel they must change, they must confess, betray self and/or others. Then comes as sense of fear, a near total difference between the new environment and the old once known. There is then a fear of annihilation. One's only relief besides psychosis, suicide, or death is to merge with the movement and thus experience the "new birth." He then also experiences leniency, and then the student becomes a willing participant in his or her own thought reform(pp.70-73). However, the new self which was spawned by conspiracy and guilt continues to permeate the victim of thought reform (pp. 78-81).There are also great problems with trust (p. 85).

Those who express thought reform cliches may reflect an inner brittleness about their true inner conversion (p. 118). Often there is ambivalence about confession, about the horrors of the group. They may shock others and say something to the effect that things in the group were, "perfectly well," they may say little to parents and talk about it at length to old friends (p. 125). Guilt can be overwhelming and irrational - guilt about still holding good thoughts about the group, and guilt towards those who arranged their release (p. 126).

Even among apparent resisters there had been penetration into the theological structures of, for example, a priest (p. 126). Thought reform succeeded in eliciting incriminating confessions from all Westerners whom Lifton interviewed (p. 150). Resisters though suffered fear, confusion, and agitation (p. 175). Some felt shame for the perceived moral failures in cooperating with communists while under their mental sway (p. 186). Certain aspects of the movement are retained while the movement as a whole is rejected (p. 195). In time even the flaws of the remaining portion, i.e., criticism and self criticism, are rejected (p. 195).

The long term task for recovery was to regain the self overcome with guilt, in a word "the restoration of integrity"(p. 223).

As Lifton noted, for those Westerners imprisoned and subjected to thought reform programs only one or possibly two from fewer than a hundred were transformed into genuine communists (p. 237). But knowing the enduring effects of thought reform is perhaps the most essential aspect in understanding thought reform.

"Despite the years that had passed since their imprisonment, these men and women were still grappling with the powerful emotions and ideas implanted by the Chinese Communists. Most had succeeded in neutralizing them; but the implant had been compelling enough to defy easy excision. For once a man has been put through prison thought reform, he never completely casts off its picture of the world and of himself" (p. 237).

"Four years after the experience my subjects still bore marks of both fear and relief" (p. 238)

Yet undergoing such an ordeal can be "therapeutic," there are reports of becoming "emotionally strengthened," and becoming more sensitive to one's own and others' inner feelings, and "more flexible and confident in human relationships"(p. 238).

Of those in the revolutionary colleges, where there was no physical imprisonment, symptoms were also present. There were first-hand reports of some becoming psychotic, at least one third of the students were observed to show signs of "fatigue, insomnia, loss of appetite, vague aches and pains, upper respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms" (p. 266). Common symptoms included fear, guilt, hate, inability to maintain emotional control regarding feelings relating to communism, and nightmares (pp. 289-299).

A profound sense of "anomie with profound personal and social and social dislocation and unrelatedness" is perhaps the hallmark of all thought reform victims (p. 309).

Clearly, the thought reform experience is not benign. However, in saying this it would be erroneous to conclude all participants are harmed equally. Before leaving Lifton, it is important to note his observation made in the preface to the 1989 edition to his Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism. There he commented how the advent of communism had been superseded by a "worldwide epidemic of political and religious fundamentalism.....these latter groups are often referred to as cults." Lifton went on to define cults as groups with charismatic leadership, and having patterns of thought reform as described in his book (p. vii).

In closing there is an entire body of literature about cults and psychological harm. For brevity's sake, I will list only two major references on the topic.28

http://www.rickross.com/reference/esp/esp10.html
Caterpillar

Hi David

Excellent article from Paul Martin. Sadly, he has passed away recently.

http://beta.bloglines.com/b/preview?siteid=6083180

?Noted psychologist and cult expert Paul Martin, 63, passed away after an 8-month battle with leukemia on August 14, 2009.

Dr. Martin (photo right) was the founder and director of the Wellspring Retreat in Albany, Ohio; the only licensed mental health facility exclusively devoted to the rehabilitation of former cult members in the United States.

CultNews (Rick Ross) had a long-standing professional relationship with Paul and Barbara Martin that stretched back to the early beginnings of Wellspring. Paul had an infectious smile and a twinkle in his eye when he joked. He never had a bad thing to say about anyone, with the exception of cult leaders that hurt people.?

Other articles of interest (similar to RSE):

Cult of Personality (Oct 2003)

http://www.rickross.com/reference/esp/esp31.html

"? those who question Raniere's views simply don't get it. He speaks slowly and methodically, with digression upon digression, using words he has defined for himself and then pausing to explain each term. You might think it pure genius. Or maybe horse manure.?

A Forensic Psychiatrist Evaluates ESP (Feb 2003)

http://www.rickross.com/reference/esp/esp4.html
joe sz

Unread post by joe sz »

david,
No, I have not exited anyone from the 'ESP' or NXV#*M cult.

3 weekends ago in Denver at the ICSA conference we had a memorial session to talk about Paul Martin. Very moving. He was one of my quiet heroes in this cult business with a meticulous scientific approach as well as having deep empathy for his clients. His Wellspring has perhaps the best data base on record for recovering ex-members but it is only a start. He was also one of the best ever expert witnesses in court regarding cultic mind control. Wellspring is struggling but not going under yet. They are in serious debt [too many charity cases is one reason] and will have to regroup. Wellspring services may change.

Joe
David McCarthy
Site Admin

As always Joe..
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry to hear that Paul Martin has left our world,
As with Margaret Singer....his legacy and love will also inspire many to continue on his work.

Caterpillar,.
Thanks for posting the Rick Ross/Paul Martin links, I will certainly check them out ASAP.....

David.

Paul R. Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_R._Martin

Margaret Singer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Singer
Caterpillar

Editorial right or manipulation?

Hey David
Re: Mark Vicente et al and What the Bleep

All the scientists expressed their beliefs about the nature of life, the results of their research, and their scientific theses. From more than 60 hours of video interviews, we selected approximately 60 minutes to represent the view we wanted to express. As filmmakers, that is our artistic and creative right. Not all the scientists agree with each other, but they all were very clear about our editorial rights and signed releases allowing us to use any of the recorded material in our film.
Is that right? :shock:
http://www.gorenfeld.net/images/response.pdf
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Way to go Mark.. :-?
Mark Vicente et al and What the Bleep BS.
Not all the scientists agree with each other, but they all were very clear about our editorial rights and signed releases allowing us to use any of the recorded material in our film.
It is absolutely common and legally essential for a film maker to ask for a signed release.....
but to go so far as to completely suppress and distort someones actual point of view with "creative editing" in my opinion
is intellectual rape and thievery, and surely a form of libel?:cry:

David.

David Albert, Ph.D interview.
debunks the quantum mechanics science presented in the "What the Bleep" Movie.

youtube 1 of 3
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=D ... vid+albert
David McCarthy
Site Admin

Re: Mark Vicente RSE - NXIVM' (ESP)

Related:
After the verdict, the Nxivm prosecutors, men and women, wept - Mark Vicente? - (EMF) Online Debate Forum
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=2756

Return to “Keith Raniere - NXIVM”