$100 remote view

This forum will list the news articles relative to the topic of RSE, directly or indirectly.
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

$100 remote view

Unread post by EMFWebmaster »

This is a re posted thread that was lost during our recent forum upgrade.
The EMF team.

This university student is offering $100 if you can guess the number in his sealed envelope. Psychics’ skills rely on lucky guesses, probability BY: BARRY BELMONT The Nevada Sagebrush (student-run weekly newspaper for the University of Nevada, Reno) Tuesday, March 2, 2010 At the beginning of every year, self-professed psychics make claims about what is going to occur in the upcoming year. These predictions range from the ridiculous (a major celebrity will be cloned) to the mundane (there will be new medical breakthroughs) to the vague-enough-to-always-be-true (Obama will have a harder time this year than last). With nearly 20 percent of this year gone and nothing but the meekest of evidence supporting any number of the millions of predictions made, why does anyone in today’s society believe in psychic abilities? There are two main reasons: confirmation bias and the Law of Large Numbers.
These two pervasive forms of sloppy thinking in conjunction with “cold-reading” techniques lead many people to be deceived by psychic claims. People tend to notice and look for evidence that supports their beliefs while ignoring and undervaluing all evidence held against that position. Conservative Republicans only reading conservative Republican blogs or watching conservative television (hence the joke of “Fixed News”) would be an example of a confirmation bias. People also fail to realize how present coincidence is in our daily lives. Most of us are shocked to meet someone who has the same birthday as us, but in a football stadium of 50,000 fans, almost everyone is likely to share a birthday with roughly 135 other people. Even things with million-to-one odds should happen thousands of times a day on a planet of billions of people. To test these claims, the magician James “The Amazing” Randi has a $1,000,000 prize for any person who can in any way prove the validity of their paranormal claims under controlled circumstances. Many psychics have tried and failed.
But there are a few big name psychics such as John Edward, Rosemary Altea and Sylvia Browne who absolutely refuse to be tested in any way. Many psychics claim they don’t need the money, which is about as weak as any excuse could be for not taking the test, passing it and taking the million dollars. If they don’t need the money, why don’t they just pass the test and give it all to charity? The reason is clear, unless the above has been too subtle. All psychics are deluded, frauds, cheats or all of the above.
There is no such thing as psychic abilities. There is no positive, scientific evidence whatsoever to prove the validity of psychic claims (even after the 20 million dollars worth of research conducted by the CIA in the ‘70s and ‘80s). There are no psychics, only liars. For any of you who think you’re psychic and want to prove me wrong I pose to you Barry Belmont’s $100 challenge: I have a sealed envelope on my desk with a number written on it, large and legible. Use any psychic technique to figure out what it is.
If you get it right, you get $100 cash, and I will admit I am wrong. Barry Belmont will give you a hint and say that the number is between 1 and 100. He studies biology and mechanical engineering. Reach him at perspectives@nevadasagebrush.com. http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2010/03 ... obability/ . (DEAD LINK)

This post may be a bit premature only that I haven't finished reading the book I found yesterday at Barnes and Noble. It is entitled "Virus of the Mind" by Richard Brodie. It discusses meme (rhymes with beam) and the theory that a meme is a basic building block of culture like the gene is the basic building block of life. Nevertheless, this book originally published in 1996 and now 3rd edition is 2009 and advertised as seen on PBS. Thr author discusses memes and how sales, advertisers, companies, religions, governments, politicians, etc. utilize these tactics as well as how sometimes, these memes can evolve independantly of its creator. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting read. What has primarily upset me about the whole RSE thing is that even though I did not buy into it to the extreme some of my friends have, I, nevertheless, did by into it more than I liked (money is energy and where I spend it does say more about me than I'd like to openly admit). Anyway, I've always considered myself intelligent and with common sense. I have a 4 year degree, 4.0 gpa, graduated in top 1% of my university, have excellent critical thinking skills... despite my involvement at RSE!
So I was not happy with the fact that I was bamboolzed and I betrayed my common sense! This book explains that process of "bamboozeling" (my word). This book can easily be appled to the techniques utilized at RSE (you won't see this in the Quantum cafe!) as well as many, many other aspects of our society (television, advertising, journalism, conspracy theories, government, politics, religion, etc.) The author does emphasize that this is all theory and not a truth, that memes are one way to understand our world, and that knowledge of memes opens up enormous possibiities for understanding many problems we might consider impossible. The author writes that if you have a better understand how your mind works, you can better navigate through a world of increasingly subtle manipulation. He does write that the book will raise more questions than it answers. I think where this book has so far helped me is in the understanding of people/culture and how easily people regardless of education, stature, intelligence, culture and "openmindedness" are manipulated and (it seems to me) how we are trained to betray ourselves.

Hidesert
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

Re: $100 remote view

This is a re post was lost during our recent forum upgrade.
The EMF team.

Hello Hidesert
Thank you for the recommendation. Sounds like a great book. Here’s some related info (video & article) about memes from a previous post that you may be interested in: http://www.enlightenmefree.com/phpbb3/p ... .php?t=930 Cult researchers have shown that intelligent and well-educated people are recruited into cults. I can understand their research in the recruiting process and manipulation techniques used but I also have moments of being embarrassed that I once believed in a 35,000 year old being and walked around blindfolded in spite of my college qualifications. Quote: Many cult members are doctors, lawyers, professors, and high profile celebrities--responsible citizens. This is why some cults have survived for decades and functioned efficiently despite a high turnover rate, public disapproval and angry parents. https://culteducation.com/cults-public- ... earch.html Many RSE students have gone to college according to this 1996 study of RSE students. Quote from RSE: Who is the typical Ramtha student? In 1996, Constance A. Jones, a Fulbright scholar who teaches at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, visited the school three times. Jones drew this demographic picture of the Ramtha School from the 540 students she sampled: A high number of students have college and post-graduate degrees. Of the sample, half earn less than $20,000, despite their education.
The average age is 41 years old. Most are former city dwellers who left to live in or near Yelm. "Leaving the city is about accommodating their changing values," Jones said. "Most of the students have intentionally chosen to leave prestigious and high-income jobs and live with fewer resources. "Money, prestige and fame are not as important as living closer to the land." http://ramtha.com/html/media/faqs/stude ... tudent.stm As mentioned above, Greg Simmons recommends his friend, Robert Kiyosaki from the Burklyn Business School. Here’s an interesting video of the sales tactics used and Kiyosaki’s comments. Marketplace - Canada’s Investigative Consumer Show Jan 29, 2010. Quote: Robert Kiyosaki, best-selling finance author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad, has spun-off his book into a self-help empire of TV shows, board games and investment seminars — a string of which are scheduled across Canada. But rumblings are being heard from the hundreds of hotel ballrooms across North America where Kiyosaki's Rich Dad seminars are staged. The complaints? That initial Rich Dad sessions focus less on education and more on marketing and upselling further sessions that cost up to $45,000. Marketplace investigates these concerns using hidden camera and reveals the aggressive sales tactics used, where participants are urged to increase their credit card limits after being pressured to spend tens of thousands of dollars on advanced courses. Erica Johnson asks Kiyosaki directly: what’s really going on? Are Canadians being lured by the Rich Dad name to spend money on weekend workshops that seem really designed to sell them more workshops? http:https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes ... o-rich-dad Perhaps Marketplace should also investigate RSE.
I heard Blackmore lecture a couple of times at Skeptics conferences. She was one of the rare females to speak or attend these conferences that I estimate as 85% or more male dominated. Another interesting factoid is that most New Thought, New Age, psychic and occult religion participants and leaders are women. Mormons and JWs are male dominated as are most mainstream Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths. I think there is growth of female involvement in skeptical movements due to so many more female scientists in the past half century. There might be some cultural and biolgical reason for this other than the stereotypical nonsense that women are "more emotional" therefore more irrational.

joe
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

Please the moderators know if you are the author of this post.
The EMF team.

Missing Persons and Abductions Reveal Psychics' Failures By Benjamin Radford | Fri Mar 5, 2010 Discovery News Several high-profile former missing persons have been in the news lately, including Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard. Earlier this week, Elizabeth Smart’s abductor, Brian David Mitchell, was found competent to stand trial in a Utah court.
His trial is expected to begin March 26, eight years after Mitchell and his wife allegedly kidnapped Smart from her Salt Lake City home and held her captive for nine months. Also in the past month, the family of Jaycee Dugard (who was kidnapped and held for eighteen years before being discovered in a virtual prison in the back yard of a couple’s home) announced that they have filed a lawsuit against the California Department of Corrections for failing to find her sooner. The cases are similar, but Smart and Dugard have something else in common (and with other missing persons including Natalee Holloway, Laci Peterson, Chandra Levy, and many others): Hundreds of psychics gave information about their location while they were missing—and every single psychic turned out to be completely wrong. Over 1,000 psychics (some of them with national profiles, including Allison DuBois, inspiration for the hit NBC TV show Medium) gave information they claimed would locate Elizabeth Smart.
Tragically, none of it led to her rescue; she was recovered because a couple recognized her on a city street and called police. There are thousands of self-proclaimed psychics and psychic detectives in the world who claim to be able to find missing persons. Some are rich and famous, such as Sylvia Browne, DuBois, Noreen Renier, and Carla Baron. If they truly have the powers that they claim, why do we see horrific cases like those of Smart and Dugard? Why aren’t psychics leading police to rescue these innocent young victims within hours or days of their abductions? Why did Jaycee Dugard have to wait nearly two decades for her rescue—-by suspicious neighbors, not psychics-—while being subjected to continual sexual and physical abuse, if a psychic had the power to find her? Despite claims to the contrary, there is not a single documented case of a missing person being found or recovered due to psychic information.
The fact that any well-known abducted or missing person you can name is either still missing or was not found by a psychic should tell you something. Here’s a hint: the next time you see a news story about a missing person, check the follow-up and see if a psychic’s information led to the person’s recovery. If psychics can find missing persons, why hasn’t Natalee Holloway been found? Or Osama bin Laden, or any other terrorist leaders whose capture could make America safer? As I write this, there are dozens of missing persons who, if psychic detectives can do what they claim, could be safely located and recovered. Laura Vogel who disappeared in Hawaii on February 21. Cherice Maria Ragins disappeared from Baltimore on the same day. Olivia Aguirre of Contra Costa, California, missing since March 1. And so on. Do a quick Internet search and ask yourself why psychics aren’t helping these people and their desperate families. Either psychics cannot help these people, or they refuse to. I’m not sure which is worse.
If psychics can do what they claim, maybe Jaycee Dugard and her family should be suing not only the police, but also the psychics who gave false or useless “information” about her and wasting police time and effort. If people are going to earn fame and fortune from claiming to be psychic,
they should be held accountable for their failures. https://culteducation.com/group/1104-ps ... lures.html
EMFWebmaster
Site Admin

Please the moderators know if you are the author of this post.
The EMF team.

Be careful. If the number is between 1 and 100, and 100 people take the challenge, there is a mathematical possibility that one of them will get lucky. Why would a true psychic need such a hint. If they are really psychic, any number from 1 to 1 million or any combination of letters should be readily apparent to them.
and his process is abominable just because? really? enlightenment is still the goal of everyone isn't it? not some cheap parlour trick how about we all focus on something productive and refreshing like Whirled peas
How about the fact there was a lost young man in Yelm not one RSE came up with the whereabouts... if RSE does not even care about its own community what the Bleep?
rse does not only not care about the community in yelm it not even care about its own people.
I wonder if all these people who thirst after money will end up in money hell. :roll: As JZ/R says those who do not get over their addictions such as smoking end up in smoker's hell where they have millions of cigarettes but don't get the rush from nicotine from smoking. Just kidding!
Any spirit can pretend to be anything, even nice. But I feel a true loving spirit would never encourage one into a cult, it should know better.

Return to “News Articles”